Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Questions about trip to Glacier in Oct.

We are planning a trip from Chico, CA to Glacier National Park and beyond begining the first week of October.

Our current plan is east out of Reno on I80 to Winnemucca then north on Highway 95 and then 93 to Twin Falls. From Twin Falls we will take 93 north to the junction of 75 and then take 75 north until it rejoins 93.

We will continue north on 93 Whitefish and then around the south end of the park on Highway 2 to thel intersection of 89 and then take it of St. Marys. We will stay one night in Winnemucca, one in Twin Falls and one in Salmon.

Has anyone run this route? If so how is it. Any thoughts on places to stay in Winnemucca, Twin Falls, and Salmon? Also in St. Marys.

After we leave St Marys we will be going on north to Calgary, Banff and up to Jasper then home.

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Don,
You really need to re-think this trip.

All of the National Park campgrounds on the east side of Glacier will be closed before you arrive most of them close right after Labor Day. http://www.glacier.national-park.com/camping.htm
The two private campgrounds in St. Mary are Johnson's of St. Mary which closes on September 25th. https://www.webreserv.com/book?busin...tmarymt&pgno=1and the St. Mary KOA which closes September 30th http://koa.com/where/mt/26117/.

Finding any campgrounds open in October in Canada will de difficult at best. We drove across Canada on our return from Alaska last September and found some had already closed and others were closing by the end of the month.

Grant aka BirdingRVer
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We just cmae down from the going to the sun road today. Cloudy and rainy. There were enough breaks in the weather to make the trip well worth it.
I do think too that October would be kinda late for too much sightseeing.
Enjoy the journey.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
When I have checked the weather for October it is one of the dryer months. Have looked at campgrounds and found quite a few that are still open either year round or at least until the end of October.

We will by necessity be staying on the west side of Glacier but will travel up the east side into Canada and all they way up to Jasper and then go west and back down 97 on the west side into WA and on down to the Yakinma Valley and then over and down the far eastern side of Oregon.

I really want to go this year and take Mom but can't get away untill 10/2. A little cold and possible snow is no big deal. I have driven in snow all my life and have chains for both the truck and trailer.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
When we went a couple of years ago we planned to do Yellowstone from July 15 to Aug 15, then Glacier from Aug 15 to Sep 15. I called the park near Glacier first and they suggested I reverse our plans because by mid-September we may not get to see much in Glacier because of snow and we likely would not be able to drive all of Going to the Sun Road.

Since you plan to stay on the east side at St. Mary, you will have the highest altitudes closer to you than we did on the west side. It is highly likely you won't see much of Glacier at that time of year.

But the weather has been screwy the past few years so maybe it will all work out for you. I sure hope so. Glacier is stunning. Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
We were in St Mary last week and made the mistake of going up route 89 from Browning to St Mary. That part of the road is rough, a lot of winding and road drop off to the side, besides the 4 hourses i almost hit slowly coming around a curve and the hourses that were standing on the road. I think top speed we hit on that was 45 MPH.
Then you have the 10+ down grade the last 7 miles that wind around.
We went in that way, but advise from locals said if you go up to Babb and take Hwy 464 down to Browning its 15 miles furhter, but smoother and more open to traveling. It does have some roller coaster hills, but sure not like hwy 89.

We stayed at the KOA right in St Mary, but the Good Sam that Steve talked about is really nice.

Hope this saves some white knuckles.

Regards
Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Apparenty you are determined to go that time of year. I will not travel that route in October because of weather. I have been in the Edmonton-Calgray area several time and head South end of September It will be below freezing at nite and I hate 18 degree temps and the wind.
God luck
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote