Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
An observation

This fulltiming forum used to get a lot of input and not only from fulltimers. Seems like some of the info that used to go here is now in "the around the campfire" section. Notice this trend on some other owners' web sites.

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sometimes it's a little difficult to figure exactly where some threads go.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:09 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I think that most full timer information also applies to every other type RVer as well. Having been a full timer over 4 years other than insurance, YES, it is different if you are no longer a homeowner, or if you are selling everything, including the stick house I find very little that is full timer specific. Most all the trials and tribulations, good times and bad times of full timing you will also find as a long timer or even those that are just on the road weekends and vacations.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
I'm not a full timer but boy have I learned a lot from this forum. Everybody has been so helpful and willing to share their experiences. We've attended several rallies and have enjoyed meet some of the great people that are MOCers. There has never been any discrimination because we are not full timers. Everybody is friendly and helpful. We're glad to be MOCer in the fullest sense. Happy Camping!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
As a fulltimer, I for one would like to see the topic get more use.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
As fulltimers, we do find a lot of things different for us that longtimers or sometimers do not encounter... Like Glenn mentioned, insurance is one but so is domicile, mail forwarding, doctors, perscriptions, banking, churches, and most of all.... Where to put all of your stuff when you are carring eveything that you own??? ... We have mastered most of them but the last one is still a challenge. Example: Because this is our house I like to have a "change of seasons" just like we did in our stick house... Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Christmas... It is hard to find a place to store all that along with crafts, books and musical instruments that we want and need with us... Receipes that can be made in the RV ovens are another challange but I solved that by going to the Escapades that the Escapees has each year... They cater to fulltimers and you can go to tons of classes and learn from those that have been there, done that before... If I have a question that pretains just to fulltimeing I will post to that topic but since we have a small group of full timers that are MOC'ers and they are all such good friends, I usually just e-mail them with my questions or answers...
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
This will be the 2nd Christmas we have been "on the road". We have had a Montana Big Sky for only two months but have been posting to this forum since August or there abouts. We had such a good time last year that we decided to go fulltime. We got home in May and listed the stick house in June, the rest of the summer we spent getting rid of "stuff" and waiting for our new Big Sky. The 29FBS Jayco was fun but very crowded with 200 lbs of lab and the 2 of us. So we had to go bigger and the only rigs that really impressed us were the Montanas. We have really learned a lot from this forum and I have posted a lot here myself. I check the subjects several times a day and post when I see something new. I would have posted on this thread more often but didn't see a lot of posting here. We for all intents and purposes are full timing so I will start posting here more often. We love this forum and would be totally lost without it. We started out on the Escapees forum and still go there often but this forum is so much better because is type specific and is such a huge help with the rig.
Thank you to all of you who keep this forum going it is the berries. And you are all great... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good points in this thread. Like Helen said, there are some things very different for fulltimers than for weekenders/vacationers.

For example, when we had a stick home and were weekenders/vacationers, we were usually inside our stick home, coming outside for grilling, yard work, etc. On weekends we went camping and spent nearly every waking hour outside the trailer, soaking up the environment. Computers were forbidden. Etc.

As fulltimers, well, this IS our house as well as our weekend location. So we spend far more time inside this trailer now than we did when weekending. So features and issues with the inside are far more important to us now than when we used the trailer for sleeping and bathing. We also put more miles on the trailer and thus see more wear and tear issues. Etc. Etc. Etc.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Some great points. One thing we are struggling with is the 'stuff' issue. How have others tackled storage? Any suggestions on creative 'filing'?
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:58 AM   #10
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Icehouse,
I think you are asking about filing (as in paperwork). I have thought that maybe some attractive file cabinets(2 drawer) could be used as end tables. I have one that is oak and looks good. Also, you can tuck some wicker baskets here and there that hold paperwork and will still look attractive. I think you need to think a little "outside the box" on storage issues. We have cabinets in living room. Who says food products can't go there? Also our dining chairs have storage under the seats. We aren't full-timing, but I have thought a lot about where to put things. My husband installed drawers under both the fridge and stove. These drawers are huge. He also put a cabinet in our bathroom (over comode). Any place you can store things. Then, you have to worry about the weight! So much to think about!!!

Good luck, can't wait to hear how everything goes for you.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:55 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Icehouse,

We scan everything into .pdf format, and back it up on an external hard drive. It is a chore, but worth the effort for the extra room we get in the trailer, and the instant access to files.

We also have a real small file box for documents that we need the originals. We also carry a small paper shredder.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:01 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Icehouse

Some great points. One thing we are struggling with is the 'stuff' issue. How have others tackled storage? Any suggestions on creative 'filing'?
Bernie and Tammy, good question! I think we all struggle with that one. The others covered things that can be electronically filed so I'll touch on physical items requiring room onboard. First, understand you will probably start out with more than you really need. We did. You'll get creative about where to put things. You'll find places you can create new storage. Maybe under the refrigerator. Or under the bottom desk drawer. Or a second level of storage under the bed.

Then you'll find yourself reorganizing to make access more convenient for those items used most frequently. And after six months to a year you'll start offloading those things you never used. And you'll add back somethings you should have brought in the first place.

You know, we have a forum for modifications to our Montanas. Maybe someone could start a new thread about where have you created new storage and we could post those things there for others to see.

For example, a couple of items I could post (some of these ideas are from other MOC'ers).

1. under our fridge is a board with four screws in it. Removing those screws shows empty space under the fridge. Putting a hinge and latch on the board turns it into a door.

2. if you pull out the plywood in the storage area under the bed, cut it in half, put a handle on each half, put it back in place but without the screws, you now have access to additional storage under that plywood. The area between the rails is available all the way back to the raised, carpeted area. Look at this with slide extended, though!

3. On our 3295RK I knocked out the decorative paneling below the oven and also below the bottom desk drawer. I had door panels made at Home Depot, installed hinges and, presto, more storage.

4. I recently saw on another brand where in the basement storage area they screwed loops of strapping material to the vertical sidewalls. These could be used for storage of brushes, awning rods, you name it. I'm also thinking of adding some kind of loops, perhaps rigid metal, attached to the underside of the basement storage ceiling framework. I could store my ladder there as well as more brushes, etc. I've not done this yet.

Pictures available for 1 through 3 on request.

I'm sure there are many ideas out there. Anyone want to start a thread on this topic?
Old 12-22-2007, 03:28 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've been fulltiming for over seven years now and we're still getting rid of things that we haven't used in those years. When we moved out of our four-bedroom home, we had no idea what to keep and what to get rid of. So, naturally we carried along things that we "thought we might need." Turns out we didn't need them.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:21 AM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
As fulltimers, we, too, have found that stowage is an ever evolving experience. We haven't been in the new unit long enough to get everything in its right place. As others have said, the "stuff" keeps changing. We are always thinking of ways to get things to be smaller, lighter, multi-purpose, etc.

An example of multi-purpose is a handy sized 10-in-1 screw driver from Klein. I think they were $10.00 or less. I carry one in the truck and one in the kitchen utility drawer. For tips, it has standard, Phillips, star, and square (Robinson, typical in the RV) plus a couple of common nut drivers. This is always the first tool I grab when repairs are needed. Many times it is all I need.

Swapping stuff we thought we wanted for things we needed is on going. We started out with our fine china. We determined that it was entirely too heavy and bought the light weight Corelle and one of the kids got an early inheritance.

For us, part of the fun of full timing is the challenge of figuring it all out.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

For us, part of the fun of full timing is the challenge of figuring it all out.
We're fulltimers too; and Stiles is exactly right! We just get more organized as time goes by, and sometimes wonder why we didn't "do that" or "discard that" earlier! We actually have surplus room in the basement. It is nice to be able to have a place for everything, and everything in its place.

Learning to buy the right quantity is a challenge too, but with time, we have learned to be able to shop the big discount stores like Costco for goods we use regularly.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #16
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Less is MORE! One effort we made has helped us to lighten up a lot. Usually we go to Mexico in the winter and get rid of lots of "stuff" there. DW said, " let's get rid of the clothes we don't wear, don't like or doesn't fit." She was very shocked at some of the clothing I dumped, but no tears even though she liked some of the stuff I got rid of which she had purchased." Now it is easy and works for everything. You can recycle by leaving "stuff" in the campground laundryroom or take it to some thrift store.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #17
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I knew I asked the right group. Thanks for the input. We are scheduled to pick up and pack Elly Mae Dec 27 (Merry Christmas to us!) and we are concerned where and how to put 'stuff'. Thanks for all the insight.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:10 AM   #18
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When we started out last year we took everything we "thought" we would need while on the road. 90% of that stuff we didn't need or use the whole trip. All of the stuff was disposed of when we got home. We spent most of last summer disposing of "stuff". Most of it would not even fit in the rig to begin with. We got rid of an unbelievable amount of "stuff". All of the stuff we put in the new rig is now subject to the following rule: If it doesn't get used in a year it GOES! We may modify this to 6 months though. We are finding some things that need to be purchased and then gotten rid of after use. Xmas decorations for one thing. The lights can be used all year round. Solid white lights work well for patio lights, colored can be used but don't provide that much light. We are working on replacing all ours with LEDs, they provide a lot of light and store in a very small place. Our lawn chairs take up a lot of room but they are very comfortable and will stay. Our diving gear is the second largest storage item. That will also stay for the time being. Tools are another storage problem but for the moment they are in the large tool box behind the truck cab. As the year progresses I will thin those out as needed. Cooking stuff is another item that is in flux at the moment. We are replacing some stuff with the silicone rubber items. Baking pans and cookie sheets. We have a Farber Ware electric grill that will probably go away soon as we havent used it at all. It will be a process of elimination that takes time. Weight and bulk are always a problem... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #19
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The problem I see with full timing in our current Montana is the very limited cargo carrying capacity due to the 6000 lb axles. I understand the newer 3400s have 7000 lb axles which would help.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
TLightning, it is very unlikely you will exceed the 6,000 lbs on either of those two axles. We sure don't and we're loaded about as heavily as you can load a 3400. On a CAT scale, we have 11,760 lbs on the axles (ours are 6000 lb). We were carrying 2/3 tank of fresh water at the time.