Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2007, 04:19 AM   #1
hoto

M.O.C. #6225
STRESSED

KEYSTONE NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the second montana that we have owned and will definatley be the last. The quality of thier product has dropped to zero. We had to have the entire side of the unit replaced due to delam of the fiberglass it came from the factory that way. The work on the unit was done at the factory and when they were finished the unit had more problems than when we took it in.ie. slide is crooked, trim falling off inside, cupboard doors coming loose on the slide that had been removed,shower door that was damaged when we got the unit could not be replced because they have changed suppliers.These are only a small part of the list but I think you get the idea. The rep and the factory had more excuses than he had solutions and gave us the impression that we should just accept things the way they are because in his words replacing the side was a big job and not easy to do. They don't seem to care about the customer. Time was not a factor in doing a poor job as the unit was there for almost 3 months. I will be fixing this trailer myself because there will be a lot less stress than dealing with keystone. 2006 3400RL. Mission tires were replaced at approx 7000 miles after 3 failures

hoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Sounds like you are having a lot of problems. Since this is your second Montana, did you have as much problems with the first? Who was the factory Rep? I ad problems and they fixed them. The factory reps that were there at the time went out of their way to help us and then went over all the reapairs to make sure that my wife and I were satisfied. Problems happen even in our stick house. If we find a repair place that does not come up to our satisfaction we do not go back. Possibly this could be your answer. NOW, the tires are another matter. I think there has been a lot written here on that subj. I will let someone with more knowledge respond to that if the so desire. Happy shopping
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Hoto it is easy to see why you are upset with Keystone. It is obvious that the factory repair which should be first rate was less than satisfactory. Did you experience any problems with your first Montana?

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:13 AM   #4
hoto

M.O.C. #6225
We had some minor problems with the first montana such as water leaks, axle problems etc. all which I repaired myself, but overall the quality was much better which I informed keystone of. I think Thor's owenership of Keystone is starting to show up in the quality of the new units. More money less quality.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
KEYSTONE NEVER AGAIN" I agree 100%. You need to unload that thing and go to another brand that will have none of those problem. We also have a 06 3400 and have had several problems none of them of the magnitude of yours and all of them corrected by Keystone without hesitation.

"They don't seem to care about the customer" Things have sure changed at Keystone/ Montana.They went beyond the call for me..Must have been a HUGE change. Good luck with the brand of your choice.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Hoto,
I agree with you. You need to get SOB. But I'll wager you'll have some of the same or more problems. It seems to be an industry-wide thing. We had only the minor things that occurred during the first year of ownership and our dealer took care of every one. Some more-major things that happened after the unit was four years out of warranty, Keystone readily stepped up to the plate and took care of them very satisfactorily. I often wonder when I hear of Keystone not taking care of a customer just how the whole problem(s) was(were) approached between the customer and Keystone.

When our rig was four years old and Keystone was doing repairs on our unit, another couple came into the service area with an appointment and all they did was complain about screws, handles, leaks, rust, dust coming in the stove vent, and a myriad of other things that the technicians couldn't find to repair. I was there and witnessed it. Come to find out, the couple couldn't make the payments on the unit and was trying to get Keystone to take the unit back.

So you see, Keystone is like any other business and some people try to take advantage of their goodness. When my unit was over seven years old, I had a frame flex problem discovered by my dealer. They had me call Keystone even though we were far out of warranty. I didn't expect Keystone to reimburse me for the repairs but the dealer wanted it documented. That's what a good dealer does--looks out for their customers.

Please don't take offense to this, I just wanted to pass on our experience.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
hoto

M.O.C. #6225
No offence taken and i'm glad to hear that keystone looked after all of you so well and you are happy with your unit but after 3 trips to the factory (approx. 2000 miles per trip) and still putting up with some of the original problems I cannot share your enthusiasm.We just found out tonight that the metal corner on the edge of the roof was not put back on properly when the side was replaced and the screw heads are coming thru the rubber roof so as you can see it is a little more than handles and a few loose screws. Safe Travels. and by the way Orv it's paid for.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
So is mine. That's why I'm in no hurry to get another one.

Orv
Old 12-05-2007, 06:27 AM   #9
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Hoto. I know some states have a lemon law for autos and pickups. I would like to see it extended to the rv industry, both driveable and towable. You would see the rv companies standing at attention to make quality job one. I see a lot of the problems are not with Keystone as a whole but with the suppliers. If you do some travels in the Goshen area the cookie cutter fiberglss sides are made at a seperate company and stacked side by side right or left side on rack trailers. They are delivered to Keystone or whatever company. The company then cuts door and window holes to fit a model. I would bet your problen comes from a poor fiberglass moulding process. To get into rv problems a little deeper lets go to the dealers. I deliver rv's part time for a transport company out of Goshen. I have delivered a number of Montanas. The dealers are suppose to inspect the rv before I unhook and the paper work is signed. In that paperwork is an inspection sheet where the dealers are suppose to document EVERYTHING they find wrong with unit. I take a copy of that sheet which has the trailer no. on it along with the delivery paper work and send it in a trip pack back to the transport company who sends it back to Keystone. I find some dealers who do the basic open the door look at the inside find the door keys and the warranty papers and say its ok you can unhook. I find the real good ones who give me a coupon for a local restaurant,or have me wait and take hours to inspect the unit. These guys run water, hook up the power run the slides, hook up lp. and run the furnace and hot water, the whole campking thing. So problems can arise with any unit from any company.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
old turbo,
Good explanation.

Orv
Old 12-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Hoto,
I sure understand your frustration. I have experienced the fantastic customer service that Keystone has offered many of the owners here. Last year I brought my coach all the way from Washington state to Goshen, IN for repairs. The service center was top notch and all of the repairs were done, including a few extra that I had not noticed. The problem is: one of the repairs they fixed is still giving me trouble. I will contact Keystone again this spring when I bring the coach out of storage and see what they think. Hopefully they will have solution. If not, I will probably start pursuing other options. Good luck with getting your coach fixed and be sure to give Keystone a chance to make it right. They do stand behind their product.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote