Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Johnsonw

I have narrowed down my search for a new TV. I am going to order a 2011 Chevy 3500HD, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4X4, w/ the LTZ package. My final decision is SRW or DRW. I would like some opinions based on the following:
-I will be towing a 2955RL, which will be fully loaded with a GVWR of 13,725#.
-We will be FT RVing, through out the states, Canada and Alaska
-I will be using the TV for some daily driving in NJ during November and December each year. Dually does not have as much traction with out weight as SRW
-When towing, it will be myself, DW and our dog
-I will be carrying 2 kayaks, a 250# gas scooter and 2 bikes on the TV
-The 2011 Chevy 3500 SRW has a GVWR of 11,000#, GCWR of 24,500#, a 5th wheel trailering rating of 16,800#, and a maximum payload of 4,268#
-The 2011 Chevy 3500 DRW has a GVWR of 13,000#, GCWR of 29,200#, a 5th wheel trailering rating of 21,100#, and a maximum payload of 5,905# I like the higher number so you have room to grow.
-The SRW TV has Hill Assist Start, Stabilitrak Electronic Stability Control (senses loss of lateral traction, understeer, and oversteer, and automatically adjusts brakes and engine torque), Trailer Sway Control (works with StabiliTrak,and senses trailer sway and automatically applies TV brakes and reduces engine power as necessary), and Automatic Locking Rear Differential. THE DRW HAS NONE OF THESE AND RELIES ON THE DUAL WHEELS FOR CONTROL.
-Identically equipped DWR TV cost ~$250 less that SRW.
My questions are:
-Should I go with the SRW or DWR?
-When in the snow and not towing, is the SRW with the above listed stability/sway/traction controls, better than the DRW?
-What sort of MPG reduction is normal with DRW (towing and non-towing)? MPG is a little less but to many other things to know exact amount. I would guess .5 to 1 mpg at most.
-Is there anything else I'm not considering?
I have talked to a number of dealers, but they are clueless.
Ideally I would like to go with the SRW, (better MPG, less tire cost, easier to drive when not towing, BUT I DON'T WANT TO MAKE A MISTAKE AND UNDER BUY.
All advise appreciated and welcome.
  • I like the idea of the extra tires on the rear. I do have 4x4 but if I have to use 4x4 in snow not towing I do not go. Only use it if caught in snow on the road.
  • Finding enough parking space for dually is farther out in the parking lot.
  • Replacing six tires cost more.
  • I like my dually and would do it again.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote