Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Lift Kit for trailer

Has anyone added a lift kit or tried to have dealer raise TT we have 335rlbs to get abit more clearance?
If so have you been please or would you not recommend it?

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob, our first fifthwheel was a 1985 Wilderness. I had the axles flipped on it to get decent bedrail clearance. It worked fine. The biggest "problem" was the bottom entry step was that much higher, something like four inches higher. I had no stability problems with it.

We traded that one for a new 1999 Jayco Eagle fifthwheel. That one had builtin risers that the dealer could and did adjust, for the same reason. Also no problems other than the step was a bit high.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
We flipped the axles on our old 5r too. On a tongue trailer, you may also have to adjust your ball height to keep everything somewhat level. We did not notice any stability problemson the trailer after we did that. The most important thing IMHO is to make sure the axles are aligned properly so you maximize safety, tire wear and general safety when towing. I wouldn't be afraid to get it done, but I would have a dealer or a trailer outfit do it.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I had a 335rlbs and agree that there are times when you the extra height on the rear would have been nice. I am not familiar with the axel flipping porcess but can see where you would have other issues to contend with regarding entry and exit doors plus ball and tongue heights. What about overall clearance? Could that be an issue? I do not remember the specs on that piece. Best of luck!
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob, I just realized I was talking FW and you have a TT. Axle flipping should work, assuming the axles are currently above the springs and not already below them.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:09 PM   #6
timbuktu78
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3641
i am currently researching this topic also. i take delivery of my 06 3400rl in two weeks. i am already planning on having the dealership flip the axles, but i am affraid that still won't give me the clearance required for my truck to pull it. my truck, 05 CTD SB, has a 4 inch lift w/ 37 inch tires on it and my bedrails sit at 62 inches at the rear corners. in addition to flipping the axles on the 5er, i'm trying to find out if there is a lift kit (i.e. putting blocks on the axles) to make it a little higher. if anyone knows of anything, please let me know. i do realize another option is to take the lift off my truck, but i'd rather not since i just put it on...i did that before i ever considered buying a 5er.
timbuktu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:25 AM   #7
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I have a friend who raised his tt by removing the springs and axles. He then had metal welded in place for the springs and axles to attach to. I think the welded metal raised the trailer about 3 inches. Metal was about 6 feet in length on both sides of trailer. A job for a experienced welder in my opinion. If the 3 inch increase in height is not enough, I suppose one could then flip the axles. Good luck.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:39 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Moving the axle from above the springs to under the springs moved ours (1985 Wilderness) up four inches. So you could probably figure the same on the Montanas and Mountaineers. That three inches plus four inches seems like a lot, though.