Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It's so great to be back in the midwest!

Man, how I missed these big, nasty storms while outside the midwest. I am so enjoying this reacquainting with the nasty weather.

The local TV stations have not broadcast a single network show in about four hours. There are lots and lots of nasty storms all around us. Well not on all sides but we are in the path to get hit in a couple of hours. There are tornado warnings on the Kansas side, so the stations stay on the air until they become just a "watch.". The weather alert radio has been going off every few minutes. It went off five or six times in a 3 minute span awhile ago! That siren would wake the dead. I got tired of running upstairs to where we keep this radio so just brought it down to the table next to my chair.

Ahhh, midwest weather. Beautiful to watch. Scary to be in. Now they're showing pictures of rain going sideways about 20 miles from here, and coming our way. I guess I'll have to go outside and watch it for awhile.

Naturally today I put out the awning, staked it down, and put on six deflappers. We're somewhat protected from strong winds by the trees on the west so we'll see how this awning holds up. Or maybe I'll bring it in. I think I'll go bring it in now.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:40 PM   #2
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Steve, welcome back and enjoy the light show!

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Steve, we had the storms all around us today also. We were lucky they missed us. We received a bit of rain but not as much as I thought we should get.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I hope you have your escape route planned, some place safe to go if the sirens go off. Don't be complacent. Be safe, please.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We lived 12 years in Indiana outside of Chicago and this New England girl never got used to the extreme storms anytime of year.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Hope they get out of the area before we come that way in the next week or so.
We have had a little of the same here in Branson. The day we arrived, we had gone to the strip and a storm came through and tore up 3 awnings in the same area we are in.
Sure glad I did not have mine down.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #7
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
Hey, Awaywego (W&A) -- what are you still doing awake??

It's been pretty nasty around here (Crossville, TN) today, too. Lots (lots!!) of rain; yesterday there were pretty scary warnings on the radio. But so far we haven't had to take down our awning. And the "few" things that are attached to it, such as the Patty'O Room and other "homey" things we've put out... Keep your finger crossed...

PS: Loved meeting you, and hope to meet more of you MOC's!!
Karin
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:00 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
You guys talking about winds, reminded me of getting out of bed in Texas and going outside in my underwear to put the awning down.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:09 AM   #9
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Steve
Welcome back to Kansas. Talked to my sister back there and she said they have had over 12 inches or rain this past month. I'm sorry, I don't miss the storms. We only get the Hurricanes out here in Virginia. Enjoy the midwest.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2000 Ford F-350 Diesl
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:17 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Stay safe Steve, take in the awning,

We are getting hit and miss storms too, the slides are getting exercised, and we are not on the road! Yikes!

Reminds us to keep an eye on the sky, and an ear to the weather reports/radio/tv/weather radio. Not just at this time of the year, but especially at this time of the year.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:23 PM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hey Steve, where are you? Hope you survived those Kansas storms. Radar still looks nasty out that way. Hope you are all OK.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Sounds like everyone is getting a taste of bad weather. We just left Yellowstone after a week of cold, rain,cold,snow, did I mention that it was cold? By the time we got out of the park and over to Cody the sun was out and it was 60 degrees. Oh did that feel good.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:37 PM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ah, Yellowstone. We're heading to Colorado mountain country in a few weeks. Looking forward to a little relief from the heat. Been spending every other week in El Paso/Juarez on business and its been around a hundred down there and now its close to that in Chicago. Sixty sounds delightful.

Steve -

Hope you and Vicki are okay.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:23 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Well, it was a fun ride! We have been buffeted in this Montana by strong winds before. We've been rocked, rolled, and slightly lifted. But this is the very first time either of us has experienced the floor of our Montana vibrating. Not typical wind rippling but vibration at a frequency of maybe ten to fifteen per second. We looked at each other and neither of us were very amused. But that part only lasted a few seconds.

We didn't have any damage and as far as I know nobody in the park had damage. There were a couple of good-sized tree branches down. We had one immediately behind us a few feet but it wasn't very big. Maybe two inches in diameter and eight or ten feet long, plus smaller branches. There are tons of twigs and small branches on the ground on all the sites and on the street. But no real damage anywhere in the park.

These were straight winds. The tornado sightings were well west of us, thirty miles or so, and they were very minor. Depending on which station you listen to, we had straight winds from 60 to 90 mph. I know the trees behind us were bending over a bunch.

I got the awning in in with a minute or two to spare!

Bill Hill. I can relate. Been there but I threw a robe on before I went out in the wind and rain that time. Vicki and I both were out there on that one.

The lightning was beautiful, as always, although we only saw it from a window.

Now, after all that, we had a nice, somewhat surprise, visit tonight from Tom and Betty, LightningJack, who are overnighting here on their way back to Florida. That's tonight. They missed out on the storms here last night but had their own in Kansas last night. We really enjoyed our short visit with these very nice folks.

Awaywego, come on up. The storms are over!

Ron and Terrie, if you go through the Kansas City area and have time to stop overnight, for lunch/dinner, or coffee, be sure to let us know. If you need to book on through, we understand that, too.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:16 PM   #15
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
KK and GB
You are up later than I am by your post time.
The storms you are having are passing through Branson first then Crossville.
Good to here from you two again.
Stay dry
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:25 PM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glad to hear that everyone is safe. Having lived in Texas and Alabama, I have great respect for the weather and its awful effects.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:59 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Been there, done that, so glad I am in California. We haven't had a earthquake for quite some time. Glad you are all safe. We have been on the coast in Northern Calif with 80 mph winds several years ago and so we know about awnings in underwear (mine was nightgown).
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:08 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ahem, ParrotHead, I would think by now you'd know you never say something like that. It's like saying "this is good road". It always jinxes you and the road changes shortly after. I hope you folks had no damage from the earthquake.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve
I know I thought about that as soon as I heard. On another post I mentioned I talked to my mother yesterday and she had no problems. She lives in a mobile home and they really rock. Hemet is on the San Jacinto fault but now they say it was not that fault but Hemet was still very close to the center. I still say earthquakes are not as bad as tornados and hurricanes. They only last a few seconds or minutes and are not frequent. I have lived in tornado country (Kansas) and remember "going to the cellar" several times. I also was in NY in 1972 when we had horrible floods from the hurricanes. I'm still trying to find that place in the US that has none of these and no snow and freezing weather. St. George Utah is all we have found so far.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote