Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Electric rear stabilizer

Somewhere in here last week I told several members that I was going to install one on my Challenger this weekend. I did on Saturday forenoon. I installed one without the the electric motor because I wanted to "feel" how much pressure I was putting on the tail of the coach.

IT IS AS DIFFERENT AS NIGHT AND DAY!! The back and forth movement and "wag" has basically disappeared. We have some up and down movement when one of us is walking thru the coach but, the side-to-side is vertually gone! I'm tickled that I made the investment.

When I had the old scissor-style off and laying on the ground and bolting up the new one, one of the neighbors came by, seen what I was doing and asked what I was going to do with the old ones. I said I'd sell them to the highest bidder. He asked what I would take and I said, "Are you going to carry them away yourself?" He said he was. I said,"then you can have them for nuthin'!"

I am pleased that they are working well! I'll also have to tell production to grab-hold, because the demand might just go up!

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
what type and model did you use? maybe I'll look into it myself. did you have to configure switches yourself or did it all come as a package?
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Sounds like a great idea but can you give us more info.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:20 PM   #4
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
BillyRay and Northstar, I'll try tomorrow to get a picture or two of this stabilizer. Someone will have to tell me how I can get them posted here so you guys and everybody else can see how they work.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dale, here's info on posting pictures. Also, happy birthday!

First you have to have the photo out on the internet somewhere, not on your personal pc. If you don't have a place to put a picture, I'd recommend www.tinypic.com . You can place pictures there for free. The picture cannot be more than 250k in size or they will automatically trim it down.

At tinypic, use the Browse button to find the picture on your pc. Then click the 'Host It' button. When the page comes back, scroll down and you'll see several boxes with urls in them. For posting here, click in the box for the one with the IMG tags on each end. Those tags are important for displaying a picture here.

After clicking in that box the url should be highlighted. Hold the ctrl key and press the 'c' key to copy the url. Sorry if too elementary, it's hard to tell level of knowledge from a post.

Then in your post, just paste (ctrl v) the url in your post. You can then click the Preview Reply button if you want to see what your post will look like before you submit it. When done, close the preview window and click the Submit Reply button.

I'd recommend your picture pasted into a post be no more than about 640x480 or thereabouts in size. You can tell the size by rightclicking and selecting properties (works that way on mine, anyhow). If you need to resize the picture and don't have software to do that, Irfanview is free at www.irfanview.com . This is what I usually use. After resizing I also do File/Save AS (rather than file/save or the save button). There I can tell it to save at 65% quality. . 30% quality usually works as well and makes for an even smaller filesize. That significantly reduces the size of the file itself so it will load faster for those on a slow connection (much appreciated if you'd do this).

It's a lot easier than it sounds.

If you want the picture to be part of your signature, go to your profile and paste that same url, with img tags, in the signature box.

Good luck. Post back if you have any problems with it. One of us will be along to help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:41 PM   #6
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Thanks Steve, I'm going to take a picture or two of a stabilizer this morning. Then, I'll try to get them posted here so every one can see what you saw.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:36 AM   #7
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Okay folks, here are a couple of pictures of the rear electric stabilizers Steve was looking at and what I was talking about. We'll see if this works.

MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:16 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
One thing not yet said in this thread is these stabilizers are a brand new Lippert product. Dale showed them to me when we were in Goshen. They look strong and I was impressed with how they work although I did not actually see them working. I liked them but they're just a bit out of our price range, unfortunately.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:05 AM   #9
Montana_1953
Established Member

M.O.C. #1953
Electric rear stabilizer are now at camping world
just got the catalog yesterday
not on the web site yet
Montana_1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:26 AM   #10
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Dale - Do the stabilizers adjust automatically for uneven ground? You mentioned in your first post that you wanted to "feel" the pressure on the rear of the coach. I'm probably much the same, AND wonder about applying some torque to the frame if the ground's uneven. I sure do like the concept of them being electrically powered! Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:13 AM   #11
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
GordonR,

Being electrically powered is not the problem. You simply extend them until both pads touch the ground and you hear the motor begin to labor. If one pad does touch the ground, it stops and the other continues until it touches. At that point, both sides of the coach lift at the same time. It does not take much pressure. They are not designed to lift the whole back half of the coach but, merely to stabilize it. That it does do.

wingdavid, I'll have to look at the catalog to see wht you are looking at. To my knowledge, these are not available thru any retail outlets. However, we will sell them to you, the retail customer. The "suggested" retail cost is $510.00.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:52 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We saw the ones at Camping World when in the Elkhart area the past couple of weeks. They had two motors, one on each side. It says they can be used to level as well as stabilizing. However, the price shown was $629. Installation was another $169, I think. I know the one Dale has can be lowered and raised manually as well as electrically. I'm not sure about the ones at CW.

Dale, maybe you'd like to give us a set and we'll tell everyone about it??? Aw, well, give me credit for trying.