Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #1
Montana_669
Established Member

M.O.C. #669
Inverters

Has anyone installed any inverters ? Not the little ones. I'm talking about a 2KW or higher, hardwired system. Any advise and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Montana_669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:03 AM   #2
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I think that MOCer Dave Anderson has the MOC killer PV/inverter system.

OTOH, inverters systems are like anything else, you can toss almost infinite amounts of $$$ at them if you want to. I'm considering one for our Monty. For a while I was really excited about a new(er) Xantrex inverter/charger:

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/40/p/1/pt/8/product.asp

One of the really nice features I was drooling over is:

Power sharing reduces charging current to prevent tripping of AC input breaker

It would be REALLY nice to have the charger throttle itself back to help keep you out of trouble.

However, after thinking about it for a couple of days, I realized that it doesn't mean much since I wanted to wire this thing so that it isn't wired to the A/C, water heater, refrigerator, etc... (so it doesn't drain my batteries if mains power goes out while I'm not there). If it isn't wired to them, then it can't monitor their power use while on the external mains.

I'm back to square 1 about what I want to do....

I have more time & ideas than $$$ at this point so I'm taking my time

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A lot of us would be interested in your solution, when you get to that point.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I had them add a second battery so I could maybe install an invertor for selective us, like a small freezer in the basement. Then, while discussing with my associates at work (we are all electrical or electronic engineers), I am leaning toward not adding invertor or maybe just a small one.

A normal inveertor uses 10 amps of 12 volt power for each amp of 110 volt it produces. (rough rule of thumb). The pure sine wave units use even more but are really not necessary for most applications.

I would includ a cutout switch between the inverter and the battery with maybe a breaker. If you have a 750 watt inverter, a common yet inexpensive size, you will need a switch/breaker that can handle 60 Amps DC. It should also be a slow blow (delayed trip) so it doesn't cut out with every power spike or intermittant load.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
Montana_2953
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2953
If you do decide on the inverter, I hope you use the proper wiring, as if you don't it will burn up any and everything including the Monty. Paul
Montana_2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #6
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Eric and Dave,
I am in the process on adding (4) four 6 volt batteries (just got them yesterday), two on each side in battery boxes I made in the front compartment.
I am putting in a Freedom 2500 watt inverter/charger.
I am spliting my power on the panel so that the AC, Ref and water heater are on one leg and all other on the other leg in the panel.
So when the 110 power is hooked up it feeds both legs and if I am on batteries/inverter, it will feed the other leg.
It has a transfer switch so when you plug the trailer in, it changes over to 110 side.
If the 110 power goes out, the only thing I am concerned about is really the ref, and it will automatically change over to gas.
I am also running a 8 gauge wire from my F350 battery bank to the rear of the truck to get better power to the trailer when it is plugged in and towing.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:50 AM   #7
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carlson

Eric and Dave,
I am in the process on adding (4) four 6 volt batteries (just got them yesterday), two on each side in battery boxes I made in the front compartment.
I am putting in a Freedom 2500 watt inverter/charger.
I am spliting my power on the panel so that the AC, Ref and water heater are on one leg and all other on the other leg in the panel.
So when the 110 power is hooked up it feeds both legs and if I am on batteries/inverter, it will feed the other leg.
It has a transfer switch so when you plug the trailer in, it changes over to 110 side.
If the 110 power goes out, the only thing I am concerned about is really the ref, and it will automatically change over to gas.
I am also running a 8 gauge wire from my F350 battery bank to the rear of the truck to get better power to the trailer when it is plugged in and towing.
Sounds like you know what you are doing. We just got 1 new 3400RL. Any tips on splitting out the wireing, etc. Did you have a wiring diagram?
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:32 AM   #8
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Joe,
When I have the project done, I will document the whole thing and post it on the web site.
Everything right now is in the planning and layout stage.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:32 AM   #9
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:

[...]I am also running a 8 gauge wire from my F350 battery bank to the rear of the truck to get better power to the trailer when it is plugged in and towing.
Carlson,

Beware of the load you could put on your alternator if you do this.

I ran an 8 gage wire with my old van when I had my TT (only 2 golf car batteries.) My original alternator held up OK with it, but when it was replaced I burnt out two of them in short order. I wound up having a 200amp alternator installed to handle the load. The van would consume up to 85 amps by itself (engine & transmission computers, electric fuel pump, lights, windshield wipers, heater/AC fans, etc...) and my TT would suck up to 50 amps or more. I had a 150 amp ampmeter installed between the alternator and the battery so I KNEW how much I was pulling off of it. One day I was actually drawing 140 amps from the alternator!!!

I would do some research into this before just doing it, or at least be ready for the smell of fried alternator on a holiday weekend when you are out of town (it happened to me)

Eric
Old 05-04-2005, 09:56 AM   #10
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Eric,
When I spec. out my F350, I ordered it with two (2) alternator, both are 125 amp's, plus the 6.0 has two (2) batteries.
Thanks for post, but I should be OK, I hope!!
Old 05-04-2005, 11:07 AM   #11
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:

Eric,
When I spec. out my F350, I ordered it with two (2) alternator, both are 125 amp's, plus the 6.0 has two (2) batteries.
Thanks for post, but I should be OK, I hope!!
OK. That should do the trick...

Eric
Old 05-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #12
Montana_3028
Established Member

M.O.C. #3028
This might be a dumb question...but why are you wanting to add an inverter? Are you trying to run a bunch of stuff off your battery?? Guess I don't really understand here. Any help would be appreciated..
CAUSE now ya got me wondering if I need one or not
Montana_3028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 05:28 PM   #13
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Gamer1624,
The reason I am going with a battery bank and inverter (2500 watt)is that I don't want to get involved with a generator.
When we are traveling we do alot of dry camping and will not have 110 power.
I have sleep apana, and have to sleep machine that pumps air into my mask and it runs on 110 volts.
If I want to watch some TV or anything else microwave some popcorn, except the ref, water heater or air conditioner, I will be all set.
That is why I chose the batteries and inverter.
Hope it answers your questions.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #14
Montana_3028
Established Member

M.O.C. #3028
how do you wire this in so that all your 110 outlets work off this setup?
Old 05-07-2005, 08:47 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had solar panels and a Pro-Sine 2.0 inverter installed by Palmer Enterprises of Lake City, FL over a year ago. We also had two 12V D8 Lifeline batteries (sealed, AGM) installed giving us 510 ampere-hours of storage capacity. The comment that is heard about inverters eating up your battery power is not entirely true. It's the usage of electrical appliances that eat up the battery power.

I'd recommend you get a professional installation rather than doing it yourself unless you are highly qualified. Often times you can find someone who "thinks" they are qualified, but I'd steer clear. Palmer Enterprises did a great job on our rig. They also have done a lot of rework of installations performed by other "Solar" companies.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:51 PM   #16
Montana_3028
Established Member

M.O.C. #3028
Thanks for the info...I know about the dry camping...just wish the wife would go a bot easier on the H20

I have two 12 volts now...and if we let all 4 slide out without 110...it takes me down to 3/4 power...but if I let it set for 15 minutes...it will normally go backto full????? go figure!!!
Old 05-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #17
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Dave , Alot of good info.put out here,I found a 1000watt inv. suited my needs (we carry a 5cu.ft. freezer) with the 4 ,6vlt batts,in serries and paralel to give me 440 amps, which i consider MINIMUM if using an inverter. Besides my solar system, I also have a 40 watt battery charger I can replentish with. TWO VERY IMPORTANT points, put your inverter as close to the batteries as possible,and use HUGH battery wire. This can be a complication because it is deffinatly recomended to NOT put your inverter in the same compartment as the batteries. I mounted mine on the basement wall directlyon the other side from the batt.s with only about 21/2 feet of cable . good luck ......Dave A
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:44 PM   #18
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
ols1932. TKS for the tip of using Palmer enterprises of Lake City, FL.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote