Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2006, 12:07 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
The Monty is Awake!

Just have to share a great day yesterday. It was a "warm": day in Wisconsin 50 degrees or so. Put the battery back in the Monty and connected the shore line.

Opened the door and boy did it look good inside. Pressed the slider button and the Monty came alive once again! I was able to fire up all the systems except the water heater, checked for any leaks from the winter and things look good. Did find the broken wire holder under the dining slider, would never have seen this if wasn't for the board.

I needed to check everything out ASAP because we are coming out of the initial warranty in May.

One specific question regarding the anode rod in the water heater. I was going to insert a new one. After a few turns it became pretty tight so I didn't want to do any damage to the threads. So I backed it out. Threads are all OK, should it be real tight inserting a new anode rod?

Thanks and Happy Camping to all!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:32 AM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Take it out, clean off the threads and put a couple wraps of teflon tape on the threads and then start it in the hole and snug it up reasonably tight. It is easier if you use an extension on your socket ( mine takes a 1 1/16" socket )

Make sure you have the threads started correctly and if you can turn it by hand a couple of times and it looks straight in the hole it is probably ready to wrench tighten. Teflon tape acts as a lubricant to make the pipe threads easier to tighten and remove.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bob,
There is no greater feeling than bringing a coach back to life after a long winters nap. I will be heading back home to Washington from California on Friday. Saturday is the day I will be pulling my coach out of the garage. I have been waiting for this since October when I put it away for winter. Glad to hear everything seems to be working well for you. I hope I do not find any surprises this weekend...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Must be getting to be that time of year. I was thinking of taking off on picking my Monty up Thursday night from storage and tow it to CW on Friday to have my new Prodigy brake controller installed. Then I have the rest of the weekend to wax it and start the "getting ready" process. I'll probably take off work both Friday and Monday so I have plenty of time. I envy you people who can keep your Monty at your home or in a garage, I had to leave my baby outside in storage all winter.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Kassl, It sure does feel good to get all of the Monty's system up and working. Took ours out this past week for five nights. Everything works fine. We had a wind and very heavy rain storm and nothing leaked, thank goodness. Had a great time and am now ready for the long trip from Idaho to West Virginia starting April 9. Not sure of the route till just before we leave, do know that we will go to Ft. Carson, Co. to visit youngest son, then on east. Yes, you all are right, it is really nice to get them out of storage and put them to good use.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Paul,

Wave as you go through Castle Rock on I-25 after you visit your son in Colorado Springs. Make sure you tell him thank you for all he does from the MOC group!

mac
Old 03-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #7
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Mac, I will tell him and thank you for the kind words for him. I will also wave as we go through Castle Rock. Have you ever stayed at the Mountaindale RV park? If so is it an ok place? We may put our 5er there while staying at our sons, it is in Passport America.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:49 AM   #8
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Paul,

I haven't been to Mountaindale in a long time, but the last time I was there it was pretty run down. It used to be nice but they kind of let it go, and most of the spots aren't made for our newer bigger units. That said, it might have changed.

mac
Old 03-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #9
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We too are thinking about cleaning up the Monty this weekend here in Central IL...Hoping to have good warm weather. It is always so nice when it is all checked and cleaned. Can't wait to go camping soon!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Mac, will be sending young son to check out the rv park in a couple of days. On their web site it looks okay. Thanks for the info. Will be checking it out.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:13 PM   #11
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Paul,

Let me know what your son says, I'll be interested if there is any change down there.

Thanks,

mac
Old 03-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #12
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Mac, Thanks, I will let you know as soon as I find out from him.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:13 AM   #13
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Me too, me too, me too!!!! I took off work today and brought it home from the storage yard. I was going to wash and wax it but the wind was just awful today so I just did a few fixes that we made a list of last fall on our maiden voyage. Little things mostly but it kept me busy most of the day. Hopefully tomorrow we can get it all waxed too.

It felt so good to get it out and it still smells so new and good on the inside! Can you tell I'm happy??

mac
Old 03-31-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Mac, get it all shined up, so I can see you when we go by Castle Rock on our way to West Virginia.