Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2005, 12:58 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
When you have a stick house....

how much time in a year do you spend on the road? We just returned from a five month trip on the road, with the intention of renting our home and fulltiming. After ten minutes inside the house, I realized that fulltiming would be very hard for us to do. We have very little of value to anyone but ourselves, but some of the things we just can't part with and storing them would be so expensive. So now we're in the mode of traveling freely and, with little effort, have ideas that will require 6-7 months on the road. Does anyone travel this much or are we just kidding ourselves? We're somewhat fearful that we'll get home and stay and not travel. By the way, we've had to relearn where our things are and where things go. It's a weird feeling. We really wanted to sleep in the Montana the first night back.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:00 AM   #2
Montana_2154
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2154
We often sleep in the Montana on the first night home, we usually arrive later in the day, and it is just too much work to get everything organized for house living.
Montana_2154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:33 AM   #3
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I use my Monty for work and just returned home after 6 weeks in it. Like the camping experience but will always have a home base to put my feet on the ground (and not the wiggle of the 5th wheel). I will retire in 4 1/2 yrs and do look forward to the new horizons that you and Glen are enjoying now. It sounds like you two enjoy each other’s dream and each other, enjoy the dream life brings you!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:45 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Judy, By now you most know my opinion as to whether or not a person should keep a stick house while full timing. I say "give away or sell everything". Have your children take whatever they want and whatever keepsakes you have pass them down to your kids or grand kids now rather than waiting for the reading of the will. Giving your stuff to the kids serves two purposes..first, you are rid of it and secondly, you can visit your old stuff when you return for a family visit
Also, Every item in your house has a value to someone it just may not be the same value as you place on it. When you are selling be realistic in your pricing and mean it when you say "No reasonable offer refused". And what you can't sell, higher an auctioneer or donate it to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Remember what I said "Every item in your house has a value"? Well when you donate it to a charity that "value" becomes a tax deduction.

Quote:
quote:We're somewhat fearful that we'll get home and stay and not travel
Selling the house will automatically aleaviate that fear. Lorraine and I went through the same thing and decided it would be in our best interest to get rid of the house and contents. That was not an easy choice. Besides getting rid of our stuff we sold a house we hadn't owned but a year and a half. We took a heavy lose on selling it but it was worth it. There are many positives to not owning a stick house while trying to full time. We still pay insurance but only on the Monty not both. We don't wonder how the house is after a storm or in your case, a hurricane, goes through the area. We are not the least bit concerned about getting someone to cut the grass or water it during a drought, rake the leaves or brrrr shovel the snow. But the best reason is...We no longer have to pay property or school taxes and by being residents ofthe great state of Florida we don't pay state income taxes.
I could go on but you get the drift of where I am coming from but no matter what I or the rest of MOC think it is still you and Glen's decision.

Good luck!!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:57 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy,

Same situation, struggling with the decisions too. For now, cause of Al's mom, we are traveling when we can, and then when necessary, we are here, taking care of business.

My problem is not with the couch and chairs and stove and refer, it is with the family heirlooms (so far, kids do not want, that may change, and twins are only 5, so they are only interested in what toys Santa is bringing this year). And, then the research, files and files. We are looking at doing some serious downsizing, just enough of of place for the files, the most precious antiques and maybe the boat??

For now, we come home, enjoy the house and the land and the wildlife while we are here, and then take off when we can. At some point, this will change, just not there yet. Still have ties to the community, my volunteer work, etc. And, that too will change at some point.

We had hoped to do some serious clean and sling (or give away, or whatever) this fall, somehow with all that is going on, we have yet to get that started. Oh, well, it will be here next month and next year! But, getting started on cleaning out the extras, the sluff, the junk, would be a good start for possible future full timing, or for serious part timing.

As much as you enjoyed your Alaska trip, I doubt you will NOT go out, nope, don't think you will let cobwebs form on Montana.

I really can understand your confusion, we experience the same thing when we get home from 3 months on the road. Don't miss it that much when we are gone, but sure do enjoy it when we get back. A real roller coaster of emotions.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:44 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
My attactment is like yours, Carol, not with the house but the sentimental things. I take a lot of pictures, (that's no surprise to anyone who saw our blog) so we have all of those. So if I put them on a CD I still have to throw the originals in the trash to downsize. I don't see myself doing that.

To compliment things, we just built our dream home five years ago and bought new furniture for some/much of it. The property taxes are equal to two months of storage....very low. We're in a very secure neighborhood with good neighbors.

I guess I'm just too practical (c.h.e.a.p) to sell a $400 armoire for $75.00 when it looks like new. Our kids either have their house full of furniture or they're getting ready to move and don't need more stuff. The hurricanes will damage our house whether we're here or not. I'd rather NOT be here.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:55 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do what suits you best.Whatever another person does is perfect for that person, but maybe not you.We thought long and hard about full timing..It is not for us, JUST US. We have and are handing off family treasures to our kids/grandkids.We are clearing out "junk" garage sales, Etc.We are downsizing everything we can.We choose not to sell our home and everything in it.We choose not to have a camper as our home. We will still travel whenever and where ever we wish.We will still be somewhere warm for the winter. Who knows we may find that we like living out of a camper, if so, we will sell everything.. We also know that the time will come when we will no longer be able to travel and the house, truck, camper will go.I see the house, at least in this area , as a good investment.It has tripled in value in 15 years and it will certainly increase in value over the next 5 or 6 years That increase, we figure will cover the cost of , Grass cutting, snow removal, insurance, taxes, whatever. Do a Check ride.We did 35 straight days in the camper this summer..This big ole house sure looked good when we returned. This applies to US only.... Every persons circumstances are unique..do what works for you....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:27 AM   #8
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Hi Judy, First, let me say it was good to get acquainted with you in Minden - looking forward to seeing you again down the road. Agree with richfaa. Fulltiming is great for some, but we cannot see ourselves doing it. Both of us have to have "roots", and can't see ourselves getting rid of all our "treasures". There are pros and cons each way, but for us, having a home base that appreciates in value and will be there when, God forbid, we can't travel anymore means a lot for us. We put a lot of miles on the Montana this year, being gone for weeks at a time, and are considering at least 4 months next winter down south, but our personal preference is parttiming.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:45 AM   #9
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Judy,

You raise a valid question that Marsha and I have pondered. I totally admire the people that have made the commitment to full time. That they have the ability both financially and mentally to hit the open road while cutting ties to their stick houses is impressive.

That said, Marsha and I have sat in the Montana more than once commenting about how much we like it, but also how we just don’t know if we could make such a plunge as to go full timing. Knowing that there is an actual house at the end of the travels is rather reassuring. I know my parents and I would camp during the summers and I had a blast, including extended trips up the east coast into Canada as well as one to Wyoming and Colorado, but they were burdened with having to return me to school. Perhaps that influences my feelings.

We might change our minds at some point in the future—I have eleven more years before I can retire—but right now we question where the commitment to full timing would ever be for us.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:11 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thank you, Sunshine. It was nice to meet you, too. We're hoping to be in the southwest and Oregon again in 2007, Lord willing, so hopefully our paths will cross.

I really appreciate everyone's comments. Sometimes there's almost a feeling of guilt about keeping a stick house when one wants to travel so much but there are many who do so. Just think of all the Snowbirds who travel south for 4 - 6 months at a time, since the weather does not permit them to return home any sooner. We are blessed to be in a home that we like and is easy to maintain and leave. So I think for now that is our decision....to travel and retain our stick home. If we're home for only a week or so before leaving on another trip, then so be it. We'll have a nice place to return to and even entertain our grandchildren....although they sure like life in the Montana!

Old 11-16-2005, 07:51 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Judy,
We are much in that in between stage also. We have been downsizing but realize there is still a lot to get rid of. We cannot leave my 88 year old Mother but have considered selling the house and living in the Montana here in Hemet. The one thing we have thought about is by the time we are not able to travel anymore, we won't be able to keep up the house and yard either. On the other hand our house is appreciating rapidly (we live in one of the highest appreciation areas in the nation, Riverside County CA) and we could look at it as an investment. So we are just taking it day by day and thinking maybe someday. Although we lived in the Monty and other 5ers for a long time, we always had the house. After we take a long trip like you just did, we may change our minds.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:01 AM   #12
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
jrgwdenner, What a great thing you had this opportunity and experience to have gained this perspective. I saw my folks liquidate everything to full-time in FLA and greatly regret it. Unlike most of the other's comments here, I'd greatly miss my house and property. My wife and I had disposed of everything in our mid 20s and traveled for 2 years. Wouldn't trade that experience for anything but there are many things we let go of we'll never get back. I guess to twist a phrase, its good to walk a mile in the shoes your planning to wear for the long haul.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:34 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for encouragement. I sometimes feel that there is some "social" pressure to join the fulltimers status, which probably originates deep inside myself. I love to belong and would be proud to be a fulltimer. But I think we'll be "long-timers" for a long time and enjoy that status a great deal. Our grandchildren are still young, 5-8 years old, and they love to come to Grandma's house and play in our "forrest". Other forrests will do, but they like Grandma's the best. So I think we'll just camp out here between trips to other forrests and places of interest.

So if you're ever in lower Alabama, just look us up. But call first. We might be visiting other forrests.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:38 PM   #14
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi All,

We've been leaving AZ for 2 months during the summer for the past 5 years, but we have come to realize we want more time away during the Summers.

We came Home this year with "The Plan". We put the House up for sale and it's now in escrow. We started a new build which will be completed around Feb. 1.

It was a difficult decision, because we really loved our existing Home. But to put "The Plan" into action we new we had to down size. Our plan is to Travel about 5 Mos. during the summer. The new Home is smaller in an Adult community, but it will be in a secure area so we shouldn't have to be concerned about break in and such.

It's bitter sweet, but we're looking forward to the extra time on the road and still have a place to come home to.

Wish you well with your choice, and Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:13 PM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That sounds like a good plan, Steve and Nina. Living in a secure community is a wonderful advantage. We're certainly hoping to reduce all the things that we've accumulated over the past 42 years which will free us up a lot for traveling.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #16
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Judy,
Diana and I have discussed the idea of selling the stick house and fulltiming when I retire as well. The decision we always arrive at is to keep a permanent home. While we are healthy anyway. We are leaning more in the direction of selling this home and buying or building a smaller one with more property to improve our storage situation for the camper when not camping. Even that will be extremely difficult as we have completely remodeled our home and we really love it. Our home is also in a desirable neighborhood and the value is not likely to decrease. That will be a hard decision to make and I am gratefull that I don't have to choose tonight. There are pros and cons to each side.
Thanks for the topic.
Michael
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:05 PM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We don't have to choose tonight either, Michael, so for now we'll stay right where we are. Glen figured up our monthly cost of maintaining our home and it is less than climatized storage would be for a month. We did pour a concrete base for the Montana with a 30 amp connection so we can store it right by the house. That makes it easy for loading and unloading. So for now we'll concentrate on planning and taking trips and enjoy our home and our stuff when we're at home. Seems like the right decision for us right now.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:06 PM   #18
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, if you are even doubting selling, you are not ready. We were going to sell our 3000 sq ft house and get a smaller town home but when we saw the costs of the smaller one we decided to think it over. To make a long story short we were in Missouri later and saw the same town home by the same national builder for $200,000 less than Minneapolis. We really DiD not know if we wanted to stay in Minnesota but we sure were not ready to buy in Missouri yet so we went with selling our home and investing the money while we do what we love and look to see if we find a place that says "This is it." We had already gone over in our minds what we had to take from the house and realized that we didn't want any of it in our new place so why save it. The hardest thing was all the picture albums but we put them all on Cd's and forced the kids to take the originals.. Don't want to know what they do with them. This worked for us because we wanted out of the big house and all of the yard work. The first thing that went was the snow blower and shovels. Next was the lawn mower. We were ready. Doesn't sound to me that you are so don't let anybody try to talk you into it.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:14 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Steve and Nina plan is one that we know will happen sooner or later.This house is way to big for just the two of us now.It is a 5 bedroom tri level of 3/4 acre of land.But it is a real nice home in a real nice area.I have my PC room/office. Helen has her PC room/craft room a pantry downstairs a exercise room..It is/was sort of in a rural area but that is changing. We are sort of a bedroom community to the Cleveland area and real estate is sky rocketing. We had a fit because our Homeowners insurance increased because the value of the house increased. We asked a real estate friend of ours if that was true and she said .. I could sell your home for $$$$$$$$. We nearly had a heart attack.This home will earn us more $ in the next 3 to 5 years than any investement we could possibly make. We will long time when Helen retires next Oct, we will winter where it is warm, we, will travel to our hearts content, we will return to this big ole house when we feel like it and when the time comes we will downsize..So it is written..so let it be done. (who said that)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:53 PM   #20
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Judy and Glen, what a decision you two have taken on to make. In our situation we have two homes and the Montana. I would like to travel more but Sharon wants to stay close to home because of our one year old granddaughter. Also she is not willing to live full time in a small space permanently. Our main residence is 3100 sq. ft. and on 2 acres. I have most of the maintenance under control by using a lawn service and pool service and our two children live in the area so they can help out by checking on things while we are gone. The second home is another problem, it is 5 hours away from our main residence and is so far out that it is hard getting someone up there to do any type of maintenance. The second home could be sold without any sentimental value what so ever, but the main home is HOME to all of us. My suggestion is to take a couple of years and do the traveling you want, keep your home and see how you actually like the traveling full time experience (I hope we can follow this same advise in a few years). You can always sell the house any time you decide that you want to go full time. Our other problem is if we sell our home we probably will not be able to afford to purchase another in our area again when we quit traveling.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote