Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2005, 12:12 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Montana VS Everest

Had a chance to get a real good look at a Everest today at CW in Brunswick, Ohio a freedom Roads dealer.Actually Sirpilla Rv out of Akron, Ohio.They have just started handling the Everest. Interesting comparison.In general..most all of the Montana options in the value package and moving to Montana package are standard on the Everest. Everest has few options..The Everest 363b and the Montana 3670 are identical. Strangly enough when I added up the MSVRP price of the Montana 3670 with the options we wanted and the Everset 363B with the same equipment most of which were standard..the MSVRP was within 1000.00 ..the Everest being more. Everest has some features I wish the Montana had and the Montana has some features I wish the Everest had..Ex the everest has Hi gloss front and rear cap standard.
The way the literature is presented on the Keystone web site you may conclude that the Everest was the better camper..The dealer said he chose Everset over Montana because he considered Everest the better camper..however....at the end of the day they can be had for the same money..The first thought that came to mind was that the Montana /Everest relationship is the same as the Montana/ Montana Bigsky relationship and there was not room for both of them in the Rv market>>>> Think the Montana can hold it's own because you CAN choose options and spend less money..but it was a interesting afternoon....

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well, I would personally like less standard and more options. I'd much rather order the individual options than a complete package. I want what I desire and not what some stranger at Keystone thinks I need. And always remember standard equipment is built into the price much the same as you pay extra for optional equipment. Either way standard or optional you still pay for it.

Montana must be doing something right. They are the number one seller both new and used and have been for 4 or 5 years in a row. No other 5th wheel including other Keystone 5ers can make that claim. Something I'd be interested in seeing is how Everest compares to Montana in yearly sales figures.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Rich and Helen
Sirpilla Rv was handling Everest in 2002 when we were shopping.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are correct..The options cost the same MSVRP on the Montana or the Everest..If you wanted all those options anyhow and the price was the same what difference would it make Montana or Everest..however You lose your option to choose with the everest..There were some things on the everest I would not choose to have. There has been a lot of discussion about which is best Everset/ Montana..now I have seen first hand. IMHO there is no real difference other than choice of options....
Old 11-05-2005, 01:19 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, I take it the weight, arctic package, construction, insulation are the same? Or is the Everest rated for cooler weather?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
The Montana has front and rear caps with Hi-gloss standard. I did not order the high gloss option (will next time for sure) and my front and rear caps are hi-gloss. The Everest is a nice coach but I will stick with my Montana.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Everest IS rated for cooler weather but that's not a selling point for us,Did not know the Montana's front and rear cap were hi gloss.Does not look like they are and I don't see it in the spec's, again would make no difference to us as we are not going for the high gloss finish.It was interesting to me to compare the units...The Everest is a real nice unit but not for us..they also had the Pilgrim open road another unit in line with the Everest and Montana but when we walked in and looked around something just did not feel right, although it was a 35 footer it felt cramped.kediss you are right sirpilla Rv Akron, Ohio has handled Everest for a long time. This branch is at Camper World in Brunswick, Ohio and did not carry them before this.Sirpilla Akron is to far away for us..By the way I am a North Side pittsburgh guy..Bottom of Perrysville Hill..don't think the neighborhood exist any more.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
We were told by two very large RV dealers that the Everest does not have a vented attic and depending on your climate that might be a big deal. I live on Vancouver Island so we were dealing with large Washington State RV places and they claim on the humid west coast you are better off with a vented attic. Other than that they are pretty much the same.
I did end up buying from a large BC Mainland dealer as they matched the price of the US dealer.

The Cougar made in Oregon is a hot seller and for a mid price unit it is excellent value but I like the tall slide out rooms and they only seem to come on higher priced units.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:30 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Here's the R values on some 5vers:

5ver, Roof-Walls-Floor = Total
---------------------
Montana, 14-9-21 = 44
Everest, 15-9-29 = 53
Landmark, 23-8-38 = 69
Mobil Suites, 23-13-27 = 63
King of the Road, 23-16-23 = 62
Newmar, 24-11-26 = 61
Alpha Liesure, 20-11-20 = 51
Travel Supreme, 19-9-19 = 47
Excel, 14-7-17 = 38

I added up the R values (my figures) for reference only.

Old 11-06-2005, 06:22 AM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave,
I think it would be interesting to put the MSRP range next to the R value total.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 10:04 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Those are interesting R values...The everest puts "a extra layer of insulation on the roof and the flooring.I guess that's to supplement the artic package.However what none of them do is put some extra insulation in the side walls.What good is extra insulation on the roof and floor if there is none in the side walls.Of course to put anything extra in the sidewalls would add inches on the outside or trim some off the inside. The MSVRP between the Montana 3670 with the options we will order and the Everest 363B with the same options were within 1000.00 with the Everest being the higher.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sue, I'm sure the MSVRP would relate directly to the R Values. Rich, something else too that I noticed while on one of these websites was that one of the higher end 5vers actually is 6" (or 12"??) wider than Montana. Can't remember which one, but that might explain the ability to get more insulation in the walls... although I notice that Landmark actually publishes LESS R value in the walls than our Monty's, and the Travel Supreme is the same.

I would have a concern about no roof/attic vents on the Everest. Wonder why they would not have made that provision? Do you know if they have some alternative way of circulating that air up there, Rich?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Dave, That's the point I was making. If you want more R, you will pay more. I don't understand any of the units being wider. 8' is the limit for being on the highway.
Happy trails......................
Old 11-06-2005, 05:40 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
There are many motor homes that are 102" wide, along with many of the boats out there as well. If memory serves me I think the most of the high end 5th wheels and motor homes are 102" wide. Every extra inch is sure a good thing these days.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:43 PM   #15
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I believe the 8' width limit was changed to 8 1/2' a few years ago, at least in CA. A lot of the advertised Wide Body motor homes are listed as 102" wide.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don. that 102" rings a bell... that was the number I saw... Still can't remember which one it was though. Also not sure if there are any others. Montanas are 96", right?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:00 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Well that just goes to show you I don't look at high end motorhomes!
We have a hard enough time getting our unit through our gate, sure don't need those extra 6".
Happy trails........................
Old 11-07-2005, 02:08 AM   #18
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
The Carrage line of products are wider.If we would ever go Full Time that is the units I would look at.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:53 AM   #19
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I would take a good look at the construction of the everrest verses monty. They are built at diff. plants although they are under the keystone umbrella i don't think the quality of workmanship is the same. That is why i went with the monty and why do you see twice as many monty's on the road verses everrest?. There is a reason if you look hard enough. If the price is that close must be the workmanship.IMO they throw in these options as standard as a luring device it's a head game.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:56 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
They went to "wide body" some time ago..102 inches. The R factors are given with the Arctic package(Montana) double insulation package(Everest).I see no mention of attic ventilation in the Everest specs.Some of the higher end RV's do have thicker sidewalls(more insulation) if that's what you need. Our Insulation package will be called Flordia/Texas/Arizona.