Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2005, 04:54 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Really bad weather in Minnesota

For the past two weeks we have been having record warm weather for September in Minnesota. Last night it came to an end with Tornado's, High straight line winds and rain knocking down trees, houses and anything in its path. Things like that usually miss the Minneapolis, ST. Paul area but last night we were right in the middle. When the sirens sounded Bill and I got in the truck and went to the campground shelter leaving our house behind with the awning flapping and the whole Montana shaking. We met a lot of nice rv'ers at the shelter (Ladies restrooms and showers room) and when we got the all clear we came back soaked to the skin and wading in water up to our ankles. Everything in the Montana was nice and dry. The shower had hot water and not a leak anywhere. Thank you Montana. The awning was still on and the hail missed our area completely. Thank you God. We were on the outside edge of the storm. I can't believe the people that stayed in their rv's instead of going to the shelter. They were really lucky this time but that isn't always the case. Good luck to all of you in the path of Rita. I hope you all stay safe.

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:46 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Glad to hear you and your Montana are safe. Hope it doesn't test you again.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:01 AM   #3
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Helen,
I am so glad to hear you both are safe and still comfortable! Very smart to go to the shelter! A persons life is NOT worth their possessions! Try not to let it rattle you too much, I can imagine that was quite an experience to live through after all the horror of Katrina still in your minds. We'll see you soon in Minden? Drive Safe.
Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:19 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glad to hear you folks came through this without damage to self or Montana, Helen and Bill. I lived in 'tornado alley' most of my life and don't think I ever came any closer than you did, although I have been about where you were, too. See you again soon in Minden.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
So glad you are all OK,
I grew up in Ellsworth WI and we lived in Minneapolis for a few years. The tornados can be very very frightening and come with little notice. I remember as a senior in HS, our marching band was in a parade in a small town not far from home. It was a typical nice summer day. We got on the bus for the ride back to Ellsworth. When we got off the bus we were told half the town where we had marched was gone. The tornado went right down mainstreet and took half of the town down and left the other side of main street standing. It gave us a renewed respect for those windy devils.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Tornado's are nothing to mess with. I am glad you and the Monty are all OK. I had the pleasure of hauling relief supplies to OK city years ago after the big one went thru there and that was an eye opening experience of what kind of power a twister has.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Whew! How scary for you. Glad it passed you by a hair.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:06 PM   #8
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Glad you and your home is Ok. Been through one tornado in my life and that was quite enough. Did alot of damage to houses in my neighborhood. Not like a hurricane. Tornados just drop out of the sky and tear up alot of stuff in a short period of time. Very frightning and they come with little or no warning sometimes.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
adolmoll..thanks..your bad weather is arriving here in Northern, Ohio as we speak just looked at the weather radar and everything is red and yellow just west of here.Can hear distant thunder. We survived the May 99 F-5 tornado in Oklahoma City. Don't need any more of that????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I'm sure glad that you were wise enough to take shelter. So many folks think because previous storms didn't cause them any trouble that they are immune. Our Montana's are great but they're not good for shelter during a storm. So thankful that you are safe.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Helen and Bill,
I am glad to hear you both weathered the storm along with your home safely. Continued safety to the both of you and hope you do not have to deal with another storm in the future. dave/
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:13 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks everyone. We plan on going by our old house tomorrow that we sold in June. That is the area that took the direct hit. The pictures on tv are terrible. Lots of homes just gone and thousands of trees down. We will wait until they get the electricity back before we go there so we will not get in anyones way. Kinda scared to go back and look. So far only one person was killed from flying trees and I know of at least one women in the hospital with a broken back when she was picked up out of her bed and flown through the air landing in a bunch of debris on the ground. I can only imagine the damage Rita will do. OH MY!!!
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:19 AM   #13
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
So glad to hear you're OK. I ran for bathroom shelter in White Bear, MN years ago and know what it's like. We've talked to friends in New Brighton and Blaine, MN who had extensive tree damage but property OK. Pretty hairy. Glad you were smart and the Montana came through OK.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote