Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2005, 07:20 AM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Reverse Terminology?

People who come to Az and other southern states during the winter are known as snowbirds. What about rvers that live in az or other warm climates that go where it cool in the summer, should't they have a name like sunbirds or something like that? I asked hubby about that and he said ask Moc, they know about a lot of things. I know when we go full time, pretty soon now, We sure arn't going to hang around for any more az summers. Sorry for the long post, being my first one Thanks for reading this Janet..

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I have never heard of an official name for those who go to the mountains in the summer or some place cool! But I would be inclined to call them "Smartbrids" Or "Luckybirds" I know I will be one "Luckybird" when I don't have to stay in FL for the summer.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Interesting thoughts wagonmaster. Being from Canada all we can think of is becoming snowbirds in two years. We always envy those living in the warm winter climates but don't often consider how miserable the summer heat and humidity can be.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
How about "GEESE" oh I guess that is already taken.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:08 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
In Texas we are called Winter Texans.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:22 AM   #6
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Yup. They're called tourists. LOL
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:12 AM   #7
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

How about "GEESE" oh I guess that is already taken.
Sorry, but "GEESE" doesn't apply anymore. Those feathered rats have taken up residence around Chicago and WON'T LEAVE!!!!

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:14 AM   #8
Montana_335
Established Member

M.O.C. #335
We vacation in San Diego every summer. Coming from Arizona they call us "Zonies". Interesting!
Montana_335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
DarMar
I noticed you have 2 Schnauzers. We also have two Schnauzers. LucyLou and Bonnie. Would love to see a picture of your Schnauzers.
Do you have a place where you post your pictures on a website?
Check our our Schnauzers at website on our signature and scroll down to our pictures.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:00 AM   #10
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Cheryl and I have been discussing relocating away from Houston for a year or so, now (we're pretty miserable in the humid summers). To date, we've talked mostly about Ariz, NM and Nevada. Now that the greater Southwest is having the well-documented heat wave (116 degrees is hot, dry heat or not), we're starting to include other places that tend to stay cooler all year long along the West Coast. I'd love to get back to San Francisco, but I'm told that the two closest RV parks (Candlestick Park and Pacifica) aren't what they used to be. Oh well....
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:44 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Pete
You are so right, you do not want to go to Pacifica or Candlestick but if you want to be close to the bay area there is a really nice KOA in Petaluma. When we were there we took the ferry at Larkspur to go into the city. We relly enjoyed the trips. Also this is real close to the Napa Valley. If you want more info, let me know.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:26 AM   #12
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
That's a real bummer. When I lived out there in the mid-90's the Candlestick park was rather plain and all concrete but nice and well maintained otherwise. Its only real detraction was its proximity to Hunter's Point. The Pacifica park was exactly where I'd like to live for the rest of my life (ocean on one side, mountain on the other, and cold and foggy all the time-- just like my Sunset District apartment). I've heard that the parks are still in good condition, it's simply the residents that are the issue. Is that the case?

AND, sincerest apoplgies for hijacking the thread!! BTW- I like "Smartbird" and "Luckybird". As we are still youngsters, we are forced to fulltime near our place(s) of employment.......
Old 07-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Pete
Candlestick Park is not in a desirable location anymore - lots of breakins and theft reported by the people we talked to who lived there. So the "livers" there are also not the greatest. Pacifica has undergone several changes over the past years - they went bankrupt and were bought out by a company that had no clue in running an RV park. The spaces are small and some are back to back. We had a 30' Tahoe with one slide and they had to give us two spots to fit it in so I don't think Montana would fit. Also something to keep in mind. We were there about 6 months and the salt air completely ruined our 5th wheel, our bikes, and did some damage to our truck as well. Lots of rust on everything. Even the plug that hooks up to the truck. If you like fog it is definitely the place to be. The town is so proud of their fog, they have a Fog Fest every year. I'm a sunshine person so I didn't much care for the weather.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:10 AM   #14
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Darned good points! When I lived in the Sunset District, I rented, so I didn't care what the salt air did to the complex. My primary vehicle was a 50cc Honda scooter that was 75% plastic-- no rust problems there!

As patience is a virtue, I'll just have to summon up all of the "virtue" I can until Cheryl and I can become "Smartbirds" instead of "Sweatybirds".