Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
John
Established Member

M.O.C. #3959
Comments on our first voyage in our new 3400RL

Please don't get upset with the things that we list. We love our Montana and are contemplating full-timing in it.

Here are improvements we made:
Put a clock above the laundry room door.
Bought the king pin stabilizer - works good.
Bought a 30 amp cord.
Bought a battery-run light for the bathroom.
Put noodles on the bedroom slide-out and the back of the king pin box
(after getting a bloody scalp!)
Added bubble levels.
Added canopy deflappers.
Addes front step rugs.
Bought walkie-talkies for backing
Added 2nd air conditioner.

Here are problems we encountered at our first outing (one month as host at a state park):
Squeeky floor
speakers broke from holders (at dining table and sofa)
kitchen cabinet door fell off (screws seem to be too small)
microwave quit working on the 2nd day.
toilet doesn't hold water in bowl.
A/C remote must be set to 81 degrees to get around 73 degrees.
front door handle sometimes swings out when driving around a turn.
toilet tissue holder was about an inch too small - had to remove it and screw it in wider.
Water hose came loose under the bedroom steps and flooded the floor.

Other comments:
Canopy is very sturdy in the wind.
Sink covers are too heavy.
Bathroom fan is very loud.
Would like individual slide controls and the placement shouldn't be near the lights.
Our dog can go under the bedroom door - wish it extended further down.
I need a step-ladder to reach the canopy lock.
Really don't see a need for the mirror in the bathroom.
Really don't see a need for a towel rack in the bathroom.
Enjoy the vast amounts of lights the Montana has.
Sofa bed is lousy.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Montana.

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
HooRay, John!! Sounds like you're ready to jump in!

None of your problems sound too drastic so far - things I find fit into one of two categories...

Those that are wonderFUL...

And those that are just... wonders....
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
toilet doesn't hold water in bowl.

Mine sometimes exhibits this behavior. Usually a very small particle of something in the sliding valve. Sometimes its enough just to work the 'flusher' vigorously a few times. It may require cleaning the rubber seal or the groove into which it slides when closed. My hunch is that all there is to this little wonder.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have the individual slide controllers and they are great. We put the heavy sink covers in the cupboard under the sink and haven't looked at them since we stored them.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
John,
I am sorry that your Montana is giving you some trouble, but rest assure once you get all the little quirks worked out you will love it. I have had a few minor things with my 3400RL but now that they are fixed, I could not be happier. Hope you have many more happy miles to come in your new coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:38 PM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Gee, we wish the bedroom door was a little higher so the dog could get in and out without one of us having to open the door, or maybe we should get a shorter dog! Glad your pleased with your rig.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:22 AM   #7
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
Welcome to the board! We too have the 3400 and have had some problems, but now that we are working with a different dealer, they have been wonderful in taking care of our problems. We too have added many of the same things you have, the sink covers are too heavy and I am just going to take them out of the camper just to cut down a little weight, never use them anyway. They only problem we have now is the water heater will not light on gas, and they have worked on it, just got off the phone with the dealer and they are going to work on it again! We love our unit, I am thinking of putting curtains on the mirror in the bathroom and maybe a a picture of far away mountains, so it will look like a window!! The steps outside, we went to Home Depot and bought outdoor carpet, cut it to size and used a spray adhesive made our own for about $8. The sofa bed, many here have bought the mattress toppers for them. Enjoy your 3400!!!!
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I bought one of those foldable 6ft ladders from CW and it is awesome and does not take up much room. Now I can reach my canopy to unlock and put on the deflappers, and also use it to clean the windows.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:49 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
gitrdun,

I have seen a couple of references to people having trouble unlocking the mechanism for the canapy (we are guessing you mean the large awning).

Forgive me, I don't mean to insult, but have to ask, didn't they give you that awning rod/hook??? It is about 3 feet long, one end has a "L" shaped hook, and the other end has a circle. (doing this from memory, here, not in the unit). ANYWAYYY, you are supposed to have received one when you got your unit. It is used to reach up and unhook that awning lock. You also use the L shaped part to grab onto the strap to assist in pulling the awning out and hold onto so it does not fly up when you are putting it away.

Maybe I misunderstood your statement?? Could be, won't be the first time! ha ha
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
John
Established Member

M.O.C. #3959
My dealer just called me and said that they have installed a new microwave and fixed the leak under the stair steps. They are good people.

I am going to take the sink covers out of the Montana like Rogersuemegan did. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #11
John
Established Member

M.O.C. #3959
The awning rod does unlock the awning. What I am referring to is the latch half way down the pole that holds the two sides of the awning together. It can be reached on the left side of the awning but is too tall for me on the right side. I believe I could reach it if I were 6'3" or more.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:30 PM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ah, John,

I hear ya, I am not tall enough to do that thing either! Depending on the site we are using, sometimes Al cannot either, picnic tables and aforementioned ladders have been used in those cases!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:24 AM   #13
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Even at 6' 4" I often have to use supplemental assistance to reach the awning on the Montana. My old 5er was much shorter and I could reach the entire awning on it. Of course that brought on many other unwanted problems. Walking into the braces and the awning roller was very hard on my head. The worst problems were the dragging door under the awning (wearing through the canvas{even with the door top roller})and blocked view when it was extended.

I really like the height of the Montana awning and I needed a ladder for other stuff anyway.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote