Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
Insects Etc

Does anyone have an easy remedy for keeping ants and such critters out of your trailer. I spray around the wheels, stabilizers, hose etc. but still get insects, especially ants.

WACOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Sprinkle Comet around your tires and anything that touches the ground. The ants won't cross it. Honestly!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:19 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I ditto the Comet or Ajax works also. Any powdered cleaner. There are a couple of campgrounds we've been to where you see a white outline of the trailer on the cement or asphalt pads you know there is an ant problems. Has worked for us many times.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
How heavy do you sprinkle it? It would have to be thick enough the ants don't find a clear path through the line, right? Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:41 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
It doesn't have to be real thick but yes, continous. We've never had an ant cross the line. They must have a good union (LOL).
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
My understanding is that it is the bleach in the cleanser that keeps the ants away. I have come across a couple campgrounds that specifically say that this is a no-no. Something to do with the groundwater.
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I, too, can testify to how well Ajax works. When we used to camp near Lake Hartwell at Watsadler campground, EVERYONE used Ajax or Comet due to an excess of ants, and it worked. Every time a camper pulled out, it left behind white circles where all of the landing gear, jacks, etc. had been located.

Ironically, we had not needed to use it for some time, and there was not any in the Montana. We could have used it at Calhoun Falls this weekend as the ants there were very bad.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WACOT

Does anyone have an easy remedy for keeping ants and such critters out of your trailer. I spray around the wheels, stabilizers, hose etc. but still get insects, especially ants.
Borax does the job.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
I think I'm going to try Borax next. It seems to be the more environmentally "safe" thing to use.
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:23 PM   #10
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
This is some additional information I found about ants and other insects. Trailer Life magazine had an article about the subject and someone said they use pet flea collars on the stabilizers and feet of the trailer as well on the electric cable, hose and anything that touchs the ground. They also use cut pieces of a collar in the outside cavity of the fridge, water heater etc. Sounds like a deal to me. Hope it works for you guys too. Wacot
Old 09-25-2005, 03:25 PM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
WACOT,

They used pet flea collars in places like the fridge and water heater, WHILE they were using the unit?? Or, was this for a unit that was stored??

Whew, not so sure about that one, those things have a strong smell, not the most pleasant in the world. Makes me wonder, around my fridge, and my food?? I know, you said in the outside parts, but, still,????????????????

I have used those things in the past, when I was forced to by circumstances, but there were times when I would open the package, and let the collar breath fresh air for a week or more before I would put on my animals.

Personally I think I like the idea of Comet better. Besides, the Comet has to be cheaper than flea collars.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:22 PM   #12
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
Please note that I said to put the flea collars in the OUTSIDE CAVITY of the fridge and water heater. Pull the access panel off and place material on a ledge. I suppose you could use them in almost any location you feel you need them, cargo area etc.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

WACOT,

They used pet flea collars in places like the fridge and water heater, WHILE they were using the unit?? Or, was this for a unit that was stored??

Whew, not so sure about that one, those things have a strong smell, not the most pleasant in the world. Makes me wonder, around my fridge, and my food?? I know, you said in the outside parts, but, still,????????????????

I have used those things in the past, when I was forced to by circumstances, but there were times when I would open the package, and let the collar breath fresh air for a week or more before I would put on my animals.

Personally I think I like the idea of Comet better. Besides, the Comet has to be cheaper than flea collars.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:31 PM   #13
WACOT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1946
Bigskyguy, you don't have anything on us for tempatures, it was a record 108 here today, make me want to head for the desert. Just absoletely miserable. Also I use ajax while out last week and it worked good at Lake Whitney here in Tx. Where I had so much trouble was at the Abilene Tx. KOA in July. millions of tiny red ants.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyguy

I think I'm going to try Borax next. It seems to be the more environmentally "safe" thing to use.