Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2005, 07:24 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
A couple of thoughts about Alaska travel

Ladies, I wanted to suggest that if you need to, you should start simplifying your hair style now. Even the scenic boat trips can be windy and wet. And you most likely will be wearing a hat at times. And the beauty shops are few and far apart. Keep it simple.

Late August is a great time to be in Alaska. Artists have their things marked down, 20% - 40%, and the crowds are gone.

If you really like to fish, bring a freezer so that you don't have to pay the high prices to ship the fish home.

We have not used the generator yet since our water tank dropped out but we will probably do more dry camping on the drive south through Canada. We have used our blue tote only when we were stranded for eleven days in Denali. We can easily go six days on the black water tank if we use public facilities part of the time.

Enjoy the great produce available in Alaska in August. It's berry season. Yummy!

The layered look is definitely useful. A rain/water-proof jacket with a hood is a must as you never know when a shower will come. Add good waterproof shoes to that list if you like to walk in the woods.

Have a digital camera with a computer for storage. I've taken thousands of pictures already.

A computer program or gps system that tells you directions and distances is very useful.

More later, Judy

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:26 PM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Judy, These are some good ideas and If I was to ever get to go to Alaska I would surely bring all of this with me. I know you have took lots of pictures and I for one cannot wait to see them. I have looked at all the ones you have put on your blog and they are great. I don't think that I will ever get to see what you are seeing so the pictures kind of make it real for me. Keep them coming. Have a great time and above all be careful.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Some very good ideals. Keep them coming. And your pictures are wonderful.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We are about eight years away from that trip. Plan to take the grandson and a nephew along (minions, I think you call them). When I see and hear these things it makes me anxious more than it should. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Judy,
Thanks for all the great suggestions. We have everything except the GPS and that is on its way.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We just bought the DeLorme GPS to use on our laptop. I HATE new computer software. I probably won't get it mastered before we get home.

Sure glad that everyone is enjoying the pictures. We enjoy sharing them. Don't be afraid of coming to Alaska. It's different but very do-able, rather like traveling in the more remote parts of the western lower 48 states, minus the four lane roads, of course. But, hey, you can't get lost when there's only one road! And if you do, the scenery is still beautiful.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote