Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Tire Info Please!

This is our second outing with the new Monty. My wife who used to work at the Uniroyal plant her in Eau Claire noticed something with our trailer tires. On 3 of four tires there is something obvious on the sidewall. Looks like a crease or bend in the tire. I don't know how to describe it. The worst one has a depression about the depth of my small finger. Is this what some people refer to as ply separation? Again this is on the sidewall?? Please advise, this is a safety issue.

Got to share this one with you folks. After we did our tank dumps this morning a lady who was behind us waived us down to say that our left brake light was burnt out. We said thanks. So hold that thought for a moment and sit down. Pulled out of the way and took the left lens cover off. THERE WAS NO STOP LIGHT BULB, THERE WAS NO BULB SOCKET THERE WAS A ONLY A HOLE THERE!! I could not get the screws out that held the plate to look behind there so we came home that way. Now how is that for a factory defect?!

Otherwise the Monty 2955 is GREAT. We are learning more and more with each outing.

I am just concerned about the tires.

Thanks!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:42 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I think I would be going to a tire dealer and having them checked out. Interesting about the light. We noticed when the units are being built that all the parts required for each unit are at the different stations. Someone must have goofed.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:52 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sounds like I need to send Keystone my drive-off checklist. It includes: "Walk around the unit and check the lights." and "Don't drive it until you fix it."
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:32 AM   #4
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
RKassl, I think I would contact UniRoyal directly regarding the tires, or go to a UniRoyal dealer and have the tires inspected and have them contact whoever they need to. You're right, it is a safety issue, and I would not pull that Montana very far on those tires.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:20 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob, I was told the very shallow creases are just a "blemish" but when we had depressions the size of the one you describe it was a defect in the tire. Ours were Goodyear but they replaced them, prorated to tire wear. One was new enough there was no charge. We also had one tire develop a bubble on the outside. This might have been due to some kind of bruising against a curb but Goodyear said it was a defect, a separation. This picture was taken three days after we noticed the bubble and removed the tire. It was growing daily.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:23 AM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
We have a new 2955rl also and have about 1000 miles on the Monty, our tires have the same indentions on the sides. I'm not an expert on tires but I have seen this on my car and truck tires with some varying size in the indentions. This may be where the tire is formed together? We also have some loose screws in our cabinet doors. I'm going to try the tooth pick trick as described in an earlier post, insert a tooth pick in the screw hole then replace the screw. Hope this helps, and you can ask a tire dealer and see what he has to say about your tires!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote