Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
Montana_828
Established Member

M.O.C. #828
floor cutouts for pipes

My new Montana has oversized holes for the piping, going into the top of the cargo area. For instance, the pipe for the shower plumbing is 1 1/4 inches but the floor cut out is 4 inches in diameter. The end result is critters...namely spiders coming in. Has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it?

Montana_828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Florida Gal - So far we haven't had the problem of "critters" entering Monty from the pipe floor gap. I seem to remember (I think - having another "senior moment") reading awhile back that others may have filled that gap with insulation, or steel wool to deter the mice from entering. It's early in the day and I am sure someone more mechanically inclinded will be along soon wtih other suggestions for you.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I used spray foam insulation from an aerosol can. It was kind of messy or I am unskilled. The holes are filled. Others on the MOC recommended against that after I had done it , but I cant remember why.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:10 PM   #4
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We had a number of these so called large cut outs. Took insulation, packed it in & then taped up all around the pipe(s). No Critters.
Also, took insulation tubing and put it around everything hot & cold, no cold water spots. Hubby says he insulated every pipe he could reach! We don't use the outside shower. So took the shower head off and packed that area with insulation too.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Just a personal opinion here, but if you want to deter mice for sure, I would suggest steel wool behind foam insulation. We had a mouse problem at our house a couple years ago. The cats took care of them until we followed the above plan. Since doing that, however, the cats have just had to be fat and lazy!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Don't know if this right but that may be to let in heat when furnce is running.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, I also used the expanding foam spray insulation in the openings in the basement storage area and also in every opening in the underbelly.

As for some members recommending that not be done -- I'm not sure but that might be from a comment I made wondering if my caulking (with the foam) the opening through which the low point drains come through the bellypan might have contributed to the freezing problems by not allowing heat from the belly to exit at that point and keep the low point drains from freezing. That was just a thought, not a known fact.

I also insulated very exposed water pipe in the basement as syplace did. I packed the outside shower area with insulation, too, but left the shower head in place since we do occasionally use it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:41 AM   #8
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I filled all my pipe openings on my Mountaineer 297RKS with the best spray foam you can find. I also took out some of the black spray foam keystone used in the underbelly area to seal up pipe holes with a better foam, the black stuff was loose and not sealing very good. I also sealed all the gaps in the underbelly cover where it comes in contact with the frame where it has gaps. Remember to put on gloves when useing the spray foam.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #9
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Here is a thought don't know for certain if it would work but I bet it will.
Buy one of the kids swimming noodles and slice it into 1 or 2" think circles. Slice the cirle from the center opening out in one area so you can spread it around the pipe. Then insert the pipe and use a small table knife to work it around the perimeter and seal the hole that way. I am thinking of trying this on water pump lines too. Should work fairly well in isolating them from the hard surfaces of the trailer and help reduce the sound from the slap.
Bear in mind this is an idea but I have not had the opportunity to put it into use yet.
Hope it works if you try it. If the center opening is too big could then hit that with the espanding foam. I think it will be a more watertight seal.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote