Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2005, 05:17 AM   #1
Montana_2914

M.O.C. #2914
bike rack

Folks: I'm new to this rving life. I'm buying a Montana3400rl and would like to mount my Thule bike rack to the back of this trailer. My bike rack fits a 2inch reciever. Is there an adapter kit that would attach to the frame of the trailer that would allow me to use my bike rack or do I have to have something custom made. How does doing this affect the warranty of the trailer espicially if welding is involved. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. jack

Montana_2914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jackswing, welcome aboard.

Doublecheck your manual for the warranty question. On our '03 model the frame warranty is voided by the addition of a hitch. You might call the frame mfr, Lippert, in Indiana, to see if they agree or will make an exception for you. There is some question whether bolting the receiver hitch to the frame rather than welding might be acceptable to Lippert.

Meanwhile, we used a ladder rack for two mountain bikes. They rode back there for 15k or more miles before we took them off and gave them to our kids. Since you already have a rack this might not be a welcome alternative for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
Campers World had a bike rack that attaches to the rear ladder for under $50. Its good and solid and hangs off the rungs and holds two bikes.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Have a look at the improvements thread. This question was already asked and photos will be posted there.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Jackswing -
I had a nasty experience with bikes on the back of a travel trailer. Almost lost the whole rig going into Sheridan, Wyoming. RV dealer there looked at our setup and said the bikes took enough weight off of the hitch that it just floated. To deal with it, we bought some mounts that the quick release hubs fit onto and screwed them into boards. I know the weight issue isn't a problem on the 5er, but I've read where a number of people put their bikes between the hitch and the cab. I plan on mounting the mounts on the floor there and locking them into the bed of the truck. Just another option.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Last summer in our city campground which is a really nice one with water and electric and nice shower and laundry a guy was in there with a montana. He had a mount on the back of his trailer that had a small motorcycle mtd on it. I looked under it and it was a pretty beefed up frame extension. Still could not believe that is good on the frame. Never was anyone around to ask. Wish I had taken a picture. Hindsight better than foresight
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:13 AM   #7
Montana_2914

M.O.C. #2914
Folks: sure appreciate your responses to my bike rack question. I'm sure Ill have many others as we get started rving. thanks-jack
Montana_2914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
One of our members built a hitch on his Montana for a bike rack. Go to this link and click on "bike or scooter rack" to see the pictures of how he did this.
http://www.picturetrail.com/ziggy101
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #9
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I just finished putting our MB's across the back of the bed, by the cab. Mine is on a 2 x 6 accross 2 of the blue 'milk' boxes, and I just turned Mary's bike upside down and put it up tight {almost touching} against mine. That put her handle bars on the bed floor out of the way and one side of mine over the top of the cab. Only took up about 18" of space and looks like the Montana will clear except for the tightest of turns. Hope it works.

Skip

We have an 8' bed.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:17 PM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Skip -

You might want to look at the wheel mounts I bought at a Yakima dealer. They are a little unit that has an axle with quick release on it. Take the front wheel off and place on the axle mount, just like it was on a roof rack. Throw the front tire into the front of the basement or next to the bikes and you could run a cable lock through the frame and the hitch. I think the little mounts were about $20.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:18 PM   #11
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Rames14; I started to use a pair of those but decided it was a lot of trouble to ge the wheel assemblies off, messing with the brake stuff etc. They also used more room because of the handle bars. I wanted to be able to unload then ride without having to put something back together, also. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Skip
Old 01-22-2005, 03:40 AM   #12
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Skip, we do what you do but use the Quick Release Mount as Ron mentioned. Works very good for us. We have a short bed though and the handle bars came too close to the nose of the camper. Caused a small amount of surface damage to the Front Cap. Our bikes mount facing in opposite directions but now we loosen the stem to turn the handle parallel with the bikes. We don't like that too much. Seems like we're asking for failure down the road with one of the bikes. Generally that's a fitting one never messes with. I will mention to Dick how you turn yours upside down. I don't know if that will work for us, but heck one never knows.

Great thread all. We too would really like a rear receiver put in. We already own a Reese receiver bike carrier and loved it. Haven't been able to use it since we got the Montana. The warranty thing scares us.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:42 AM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Skip -

If (you might not have them) you have the quick release hubs, the brakes also have a lever either on the grip or down at the top of the brake to release the brakes and open them so you can get the wheel out. It takes just a few seconds to take my front wheel off and put it on the mount. If you have the quick release hub (there will be a lever on one side and a knurled knob on the other) but can't figure out how to release the brake, go to a bike shop and ask. There is only one type of quick release hub that I'm aware of but many different brake releases. When you put the wheel back on, the brakes will go right back where they are supposed to be.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #14
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Hi Patti; Hope y'all are feeling better. I talked to Dick about y'alls bike setup at the MOC rally, thats where I started thinking about that kind of set up.

RAMES14; I have the QD axles, I guess I didn't look at the way the brakes disconnected closely enough, that's the big reason I didn't want to go that route, that and having to turn the handlebars to get front cap clearance [learned from RC & Samantha's experience].

I took a ride with the bikes set up and they stood up to 65 mph, so I guess it works ok.

Skip