Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2004, 01:56 PM   #1
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Arizona Christmas

Headed for warmer weather. Our long awaited winter trip is just about here. Shadow and I leave Tues. for Silverridge RV Park in Mesa Az. We are going to go straight south from here in Northern IL until it is warm enough to de-winterize. We are going to Memphis, then down to Texarkana, the long way across Texas and come into Arizona from the south. We will be at Silverridge from the 18th to the 1st, Linda is going to fly out for the 2 weeks, she still has that working problem, only so much vacation time. My plan is, or lack of one, after the 1st to go back into Texas for an unknown amount of time and look around. Anyone in the Mesa area around the Holidays stop in and say hi, love to see ya. Any suggestions on Texas would be appreciated also, I have heard that Fredricksburg area is real nice.
Bill

William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Bill, You are right about Fredericksburg and the Texas Hill Country, but we have always gone there in the Springtime when the wildflowers are at their peak. Still, I think the towns of Fredericksburg and Kerrville and the city of San Antonio would be nice for a visit anytime of the year. We have stayed at the Fredericksburg KOA a couple of times and at a large RV park in Boerne, Texas -- an easy drive into San Antonio. There is an exceptionally nice state park near Burnet, Inks Lake State Park. We have stayed there and found it easy to drive over to Fredericksburg. Our own preference is to stay in state parks when possible. Let me know if your trip will bring you anywhere near North East Texas. I can certainly tell you about the possibilities in this area.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:08 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Bill, I overlooked the fact that you will be coming through Texarkana. We live about 70 miles Southwest from there. If you plan to stop in the area, or have any questions about RV parks, etc. just let me know. I'll be gald to try to help. I presume you will follow I-30 to Dallas and pick up I-20. Unless you really want to see the city, you should watch for the I-20 bypass while you are still East of the city and follow it around the South of Dallas and Ft. Worth. There is a nice state park just off that bybass at Ceder Hill (I think that's right -- going by memory.) We have stayed there a couple of times and find it easy from there to get anywhere in Dallas or Ft. Worth with the pickup.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:01 AM   #4
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Bill -- My goodness, how is Linda going to survive without you and Shadow?? The holidays in sunny Arizona sure beats the cold and snow of Ill (and Wis). I hope you leave Linda a good snow shovel! Have safe travels......
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:42 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill and Linda, have you been to Silveridge before? We stayed there for for four nights last Spring. Very nice park. They have instant phone and I understand they now have wi-fi, too.

If your first time there, ask about the "firsttimers special". We took advantage of that. We got the first three nights for $10/night. The alternative is a special rate for the first week if you stay longer than 3 nights but I don't recall the price.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Dave, yes I am planning to stop in Texarkana, any recommendation with a campground would be appreciated. I will be leaving in the morning and may not see your response until I get a connection somewhere south of here. I plan on stopping in Effingham and New Madrid MO before I get to Texarkana. Should be able to find a wi-fi to check in.
Steve, no I have never been to Silverridge but Linda has when it was just a field being developed, her mother lives right next door in Brentwood. We made reservations and did get a good deal, stay one week and get one free, cant beat that. Ive got my lap-top installed in the truck with Delorme mapping, cant wait to see how it works.
Bill
Old 12-07-2004, 03:09 AM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Bill, after my offer I may not be of much help in the immediate Texarkana area. But here goes. I only have the information which I'm sure you have from the "Trailer Life Directory", but there are three highly rated campgrounds around Texarkana: Texarkana KOA (8/9/8), Shady Pines (7.5/10/5) and Four States Fairgrounds (3.5/6/6). The last listed is in Arkansas, not in Texas. I do find another Good Sam Park in Arkansas: Sterling Crest RV Park (8/NA/7). I have never stayed in any of these parks and am only noting the information you probably already have.

In case you had any need for service, Shady Pines is adjacent to an RV dealer. You will also be passing directly (on I-30) by the Montana dealer in this area. His location is actually at Hooks, Texas. I will look up his name and post it here.

I will mention only one other thing. Marshall, Texas is noted nationwide for the Christmas lights display. They even have an ice skating rink right downtown (you can see the poorest skating in the world right here, since almost no one in East Texas has ever experienced it before). On the way to Marshall from Texarkana you would pass through Jefferson, Texas which was an old riverport town back in Civil War times. Many of the old homes have been preserved and they also have some very nice Christmas lights. It would add a few miles to your route, but not much. You would pick up I-20 at Marshall and continue west. There are parks listed in both Jefferson and in Marshall: Country Pines (4.5/7.5/6) and Mom & Pops (3.5/7.5/5).
Old 12-07-2004, 03:16 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
OK, I'll just add another post for this information:
Beaird's Hooks Camper Center
I-30 West Exit 208
Hooks, TX 75561
Phone: (903) 547-2791

Web site: http://www.hooks-camper.com/

Beaird's is an authorized Montana dealer and Hooks is about 12 miles west of Texarkana on I-30.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:14 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, we spent two weeks in Fredericksburg last February and loved it. Don't miss Luckenbach. And when on the highway south (I think) of Fredericksburg there's a sign to go west to a wildlife area. I forgot the name. Out there is an abandoned train tunnel. You have to climb down a ways (not difficult) to see it. There's a little amphitheater there where, in season, you can view the bats flying out en masse at sundown. Unfortunately at this time of year the bats are in Mexico (snowbirds???). And the Nimitz Museum of the Pacific War is outstanding and is right in Fredericksburg. It took us three days to "do" this museum but we take forever in those things anyhow. Downtown Fredericksburg is interesting as are many of the homes in this small town. There's several other things to see and do there. We took a little known 'scenic loop' east or northeast of Fredericksburg that was very interesting. Bill, if you have time, Vicki did some epostcards from that general area that might give you an inkling of what's to and do in that area and whether you'd want to do them. It's at our link in my signature. On that page click on '2004 postcards' then scroll to Feb/Mar timeframe and you should see them. If you like a really good hamburger, check out Porky's, on the north side of Fredericksburg. It's in an old house but really good burgers. There are several very nice restaurants in the area if you want something a bit more.

The tours of the LBJ ranch and his boyhood home are both worthwhile. If you're lucky Lady Bird will be on the porch waving at you. She sometimes still stays on the ranch. Very interesting tour.

--edited-- the tunnel area is called the Old Tunnel Wildlife Management Area.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:39 PM   #10
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Thanks David and Steve for the info. I got set up here in Marion Ar. at Americas Best Campground, they have Wi-Fi but it is very slow. We will be leaving tomorrow morning for Texarkana.
Hey Steve I was watching the History channel the other day and they said that one of the Japanese 2 man subs from the attack on Pearl was at Fredricksburg, did you see it?
Bill
Old 12-10-2004, 09:27 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, we did see it! I think Vicki may have put a picture in one of the postcards but would have to go look to see for sure. One thing I forgot is the hotel on a corner near the Nimitz museum but on the main street of downtown. Big white building with a nautical looking theme. It was owned by the Nimitz family when Chester was growing up. Inside is an interesting museum of his life. Fredericksburg is one of a number of places we want to go back to some day.

Hopefully they'll get the wi-fi fixed. The slow speed often happens when they first set it up and don't have the antennas set up so all parts of the park gets strong signals. Eventually they'll probably fix that. This one we're on right now is super fast, faster even than the roadrunner cable we had in our stick home.

Bill and Linda, this is not a very good picture but it's of the Japanese 2-man midget sub. The plaque near the sub says it's hull number is HA-19. It is sitting, ready to be launched, on the deck of Japanese submarine I-24. I'm not sure if the large submarine's deck is real or simulated. I think the plaque said which but I forgot.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:23 PM   #12
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Hey Steve, thanks for the pic. I just got back online, we arrived at Silverridge (sunny Arizona) Sat. and have hooked up to a land line, no Wi-Fi between here and Mo. Its really a nice park but tight getting parked. I have a problem with the phone hook-up in the Monty, Iam going to start a new post and see if I can get it resolved.
Bill