Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Keystone Cambridge

Went to our local RV show today and was told by two different Manufacturers Representatives (Cedar Creek and Heartland RV) that the Cambridge is to be discontinued. If we had been told by just one Rep we might have doubted it but the Heartland Regional Sales Manager who lives a few doors away from one of the Keystone Senior Management said that they just could not run the two lines together successfully.

DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
If they do that, I wonder if they will reinstate the Big Sky.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Here is the deal on the Cambridge. They have shut down the Cambridge plant in order to make the FEMA trailers. The Cambridge plant will reopen with some changes being made to the 358RL. This is the same floorplan as the 3400RL Montana. Rumor is they are going to finally listen to me =) and fix that tv/computer slide. TV and fireplace is going to be angled like my 3400RL is and a redesigned computer desk as well. Talk of also some more upgrades to the interior as well. Sure cant wait to see the changes as I have been really looking into trading in for one.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:26 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I can verify some of what Montana Sky posted.When we were on the factory tour OCT 4th we were told that the Cambridge line WOULD BE shut down to make FEMA trailers and that was the ONLY involvement Keystone had with FEMA. They said it would be shut down for@ 6 weeks .So that they ARE shut down is a fact.You know how sometimes these things can get out of hand we will just have to wait and see.The Cambridge is a fine unit and indicates to me that the industry IS capable of building a fine unit given the time and $. When they started to build the unit it was my feel that there would not be room in the market place for a unit in that price range as there were manufactures (Fleetwood, Jayco.etc) who had a comparably priced unit.Hope they continue to build them as I think the Cambridge is a better unit than the others.(and way out of our price range)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:48 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK... I admit it... I'm an info addict. I was looking at the Cambridge options, and I have no clue what some of these things are. Could someone please help me with "What is it?" and "What would you use that for?" below ~

Sofa Table I take it this is a coffee table?
Linen Package Why wouldn't you want your own... size? These are not normally furnished, I take it? Or is this something different? Never seen this listed as an option anywhere.
Hot Water Heater Bypass Why would you need this?
Hot Water Central Manifold ???
Cold Water Central Manifold Answered above?
Power Fresh Water Fill ???
Remote Holding Tank Valves Are these electronic? If they are, seems like a technical problem waiting to happen?

Thanks
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:24 AM   #6
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
dsprik - can't address your options list, but when we were in Indiana this summer and looked at a Cambridge, I can tell you one thing hubby was very impressed with. There were valves to shut off the water lines separately to each part of the system, i.e., galley, bathroom, etc., so if there was a problem in one area you didn't have to shut the entire water system off. The controls were located behind a door on the outside of the coach. And, we were just impressed with the Cambridge overall - not in our price range for what we do, but a VERY NICE unit.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:11 AM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We own a Cambridge so can answer a couple of questions.
Sofa Table -- not sure what they are referring to.
Linenpackage -- Linen matches the bed cover.
Hot water Heater bypass allows service or removal of heater while leaving rest of water on. (BTW, the heater works ac or gas or both and has no replaceable anode)
Water manifolds -- just as Sunshine said, each faucet can be isolated for service
Power Freshwater fill -- great for boon docking where fill from jerry cans or bladders is necessary. Also for winterizing.
Remote Holding tank valves -- these are mechanical cables. All of the controls are located in the service center. Extremely convenient
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, everyone... Dave, is that hot water heater bypass used that much where they feel they need to list it as an option? Those water manifolds sound like a must have option. I take it the Montana class does not have them available. Maybe one could put their own shutoff valves in, couldn't they?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #9
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
The hotwater bypass valves are also known as the freshwater winterization kit. It allows the hotwater heater to be bypassed so the rest of the water lines can be filled with anti-freeze. Most people just pull the drain plug on the hotwater heater for winterization, instead of filling the whole hotwater heater full of anti-freeze. That saves you about 6-10 gallons of antifreeze. I have bypass valves on my trailer and it's real handy.
DavesDmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
DavesDmax, Thanks for the post. I don't need to winterize so didn't think about that idea.

dsprik, I think it would be hard to do the manifold bit after the trailer was built as the lines in most trailers just daisy chain from faucet to faucet. In th cambridge, all lines come back to the manifold.

BTW, if you read my report on the Cambridge, you will note I really like the central systems panel. Keystone out did themselves with the convenience of this feature. I'm an ol retread (Opps, I mean retired) systems engineer with a good deal of experience in human factors design. I give them an a on most things in the Cambridge. Even the light switches are where they belong. The worst feature is the ridiculous remote control for the airconditioning. But then, the Montanas have that contraption as well. Everything else is really well thought out.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave, aren't they doing away with the remotes?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:14 AM   #12
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I have not kept up on changes as we are not in the market anymore. But, you are probably correct. There were threads on this subject a few months back and I seem to remember that was the case.
Dave

Old 11-20-2005, 05:00 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for the info, Dave B. & Dave W. Sounds like the Cambridge is a Great unit! Now if they would only offer it as a "Loss Leader" on Black Friday at Walmart... I might be able to afford it!