Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2005, 02:53 AM   #1
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Staying busy

When you move onto the 5ver full time what do you do to keep your self busy. Don't want to veg. Love building models, etc. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted

rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:34 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Once a week we clean the Montana. That takes about an hour. LOL. Laundry takes a little longer because we have the combo washer/dryer. I do a lot of reading in the evening and spend time on the computer while Bill is always putzing with something or strumming on his guitar.

Our biggest reason for going full time is to see the country and that is exactly what we are doing. We go out almost daily and explore a new area. Yesterday it was just the hiking the trails at the campground but that took several hours. Our first stop is always the visitors center and then we ask questions of the campground hosts to get ideas. We sure have never been bored and wonder where the time has gone so quickly.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:02 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
It seems like having a hobby will be a good idea when fulltiming. Like Helen and Bill we like to explore, see all the sights in the area. We both like to read. I spend a lot of time on the computer and we will take our little railroad with us. Crafting on a small scale seems to fit well in the Monty. (I make earrings and all of the supplies & equipment fits in one of the chairs.) If you are parked for at least a month somewhere you can have some flowers in pots, etc. A lot of people have turned their crafts into a small business. I may do that also. Volunteering also would take up some of the time and there are lots of places to volunteer. We always take games we like to play with us and you can usually find other campers who like to play.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
crossword puzzle book?
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:31 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Crossword puzzles on the computer are good also. As are a lot of other games. I'm a firm believer that these activities while fun also keep you mind active as you age. At the rate I'm going my body will wear out long before my mind if my theory is true.
Happy trails....................
Old 11-16-2005, 08:41 AM   #6
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote: At the rate I'm going my body will wear out long before my mind if my theory is true.
Funny, I'm looking at 5-8 years before retirement and I think my mind is already toast.. I'm hoping it keeps my body moving in the right direction over the longterm
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
If you choose to park your rig in an area of interesting sights and fascinating tourists activities, you'll never get bored. On our trip to Alaska and back we found that we usually ran out of time before we ran out of things to do. We did some hiking, visited museums, did some housekeeping, worked and played on the computer, played dominoes with some mean people from this forum, watched our favorite TV shows just like we did when we were home, did some crafts, planned our next trips, walked the dog, visited with our ever-changing neighbors, visited a mall, called our grandchildren. You get the idea...all the things we do at our stick house but more because we were parked in interesting places that we chose to visit.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #8
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Thanks judy, I forgot to merntion that Phyllis still has to work andother 21/2 years, I am already retarded. I guess the question was for me more than anything else. When we areon our trips, were never bored, love to explore old ghost towns in Nevada and Cal, Even have some up here in the northwest. I also do have N scale train outfit, but I think it's probably too large for the Monty.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:09 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Rick
Scale it down and take it along. We originally had (and still do in boxes) an HO scale. We designed our N for the Monty. When it is done (are they ever) we'll post some pictures.
Happy trails.................
Old 11-17-2005, 03:15 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
So I guess live steam is out of the question? Interested in your "N" scale layout? Size, where you store it etc. I have 50 plus years of railroading around here. Mostly "HO" but everything from "N" to "G" and even some full scale signals. Built an 800 sq ft room in the new house to display it and still ran out of room. If we ever decide to full time it, we have almost 100 years of stuff collected here on the ranch. One big yard sale?
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:46 AM   #11
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Ed, what kind of layout do you have. How do you sotre it, Shere do you store it? I am particulary intersted in early steam, 4-4-0, The early Nevada Railroads and lumber companies that flourished in the sierras.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:45 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Other than the traveling and sightseeing, I don't find it much, if any, different than when I was retired and living in a stick home. When we're not on the road and not out sightseeing I do pretty much the same things I did in a stick home. I'm not a gardener so don't garden and I don't mow the lawn nor shovel snow . But otherwise, pretty much the same. Same hobbies, same interests, same MOC time, same going out to run errands, etc.

Before I retired I wondered if I would have trouble filling my time. Somehow that problem never materialized. But it sure is nice to run errands when everyone else is at work and the stores and roads are not crowded!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:02 AM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
The N scale layout for the fifth wheel is on a 2 x 4 board. I know this is small but it gives us a railroad. It is totally portable, sets on a table at the side of the entertainment center where the kitchen island comes around. It picks up and lays on the bed. We have two tracks plus a partial one coming off the main track. It isn't modeled after anything since it is so small. The RV Railroad (stands for Rowe Valley) is very much a project in the making. Actually because it is so small, it has been a challenge. Ed and I do the railroading together because we both enjoy it. Ed does the track, electric, trains; I do the houses and buildings; and we both work on the molds, landscape, etc. We both love to ride trains and visit train museums. We have an Alaska RR engine and have chosen cars from the Northwest and Canada. Our passenger train is the Truckee Virginia RR. Don, maybe we can visit your display in May.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:36 AM   #14
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
As you say "A work in progress". Would be glad to show you my project. It has quite a history starting on a 4x8 sheet of plywood in Seattle back around 1966. Been moved at least four times over the years. Grown some in the process. Winter project when its to cold to work on the outside projects. Haven't gotten to the scenery work, been waiting to get it set up in its final resting place. We are about an hour from Lake Siskiyou so we should be able to find some time to check it out. If you have an extra day coming or going we have room here and the rates are not going up next year. No reservations required.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:08 PM   #15
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Time always fills itself...never a problem..for example, had a leisurly hour and half breakfast the other day at a local coffee shop. Came out and a cop was writing a ticket! I said "How about giving a retired guy a break?" He just looked at me, sneered, and kept writing. Then I said "Y'know, Officer, judgin' by that fancy belt, you need to start stayin' out of those Krispy Creme stores". He glared and said "Those tires are DEFINITELY too worn!" And another ticket was started. Did I care? Not me! MY car was parked around the corner...this one had "Hillary in 08" on the bumper sticker!

Da da ta da da!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:10 PM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Too funny, PJ. Nice picture.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:20 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
That's a great one PJ, thanks. It will get told again and again.
Happy trails...................
Old 11-17-2005, 06:22 PM   #18
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Dear Rickety,

When folks ask me what I do all day, I tell them that I do nothing, but that I do it so well that there is plenty left for the next day. This is the beauty of fulltiming---you can do as little or as much as you want to do. We have two dogs and a cat, so critters take some of our time. We read newspapers--always get a local one in case there is a play or festival going on that you wouldn't want to miss if you knew that it was happening. Make new friends! We now spend about half our time visiting friends all over the country or I should say countries. Don't go to the same place year after year. We visit a different part of Mexico every winter to see new places, eat great food and meet interesting folks. Exercise! If you are bored, get some "pickers" (the long reach grabber tongs) and pick up trash--there is always trash to pick up. And, of course, you can always surf the net.

One thought to keep in mind. Fulltiming is a lifestyle. Sometimes you really do need a vacation, so make sure you plan some down time for yourselves, like a cruise or just laying around a nice pool someplace. Got to go---running out of time to do nothing.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote