Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Education needed (update)

Does anyone have a photo of what an auto reset breaker for the hydraulic pump looks like?

>>Has anyone had the Polarity Reversing Solenoid fail on the Lippert Hydraulic pump?

http://store.lci1.com/shared/StoreFront/........_large.asp?RowID=179&SKUID=&GalleryID=28

boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
Take a look at the following post

About the 5th reply shows two of them tied together

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...=slide,breaker
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Thanks for the info. I thought that is what they looked like.

A little more detail. The first time I ran the slides in, I depressed the "glide room in" button in longer than needed. I did not have a visual of the slide. The next time I tried to open up, all I get is a click. This noise is coming from where the pump electrical connections are terminated. Would this be a auto reset breaker issue, or the pump. The slides I have on the cable system work fine, so I think I have good batteries.

Is there a reset button for the pump? From a visual, I did not see one.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
I just looked at mine, and don't see a reset either

It's possible that the relay on top of the pump motor may have been damaged last time you used it.

I'd check the connections on the relay, and the motor for tightness (use caution to not short anything out) and if that doesn't fix it, then it's time for some warranty work
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I also need an education on why they put two protection devices in parallel. Does not make sense to me. Anybody got any serious explaination? Thanks in advance.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Putting two protection devices in parallel doubles the amperage allowed for the devices in total. For example, if you put two 40 devices in parallel you end up with 80 amps of protection. Many 5ers are known to be over protected with only a 40 amp or 50 amp circuit breaker. What happens is with frequent use, the resettable breakers will trip causing the slideouts to start & stop excessively. Increasing the amount of amperage allowed by doubling the circuit breakers will prevent much of this since the motors and slideouts should allow it. If after doing this you still experience starting and stopping, this may mean that the slideouts need attention, such as maintenance or adjustment.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by farmboy

I also need an education on why they put two protection devices in parallel. Does not make sense to me. Anybody got any serious explaination? Thanks in advance.
The purpose as Art pointed out is to increase the amps available to the motor, but the reason for using two small breakers instead of one larger breaker is cost. You already have one 40 amp, so adding a second will cost around $10 (if you already have the wire, etc.), whereas an 80 amp breaker will cost considerably more and is harder to find. You can find the 40 amp at any auto parts place. Just make sure it's an auto reset.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #8
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Art-- Tom, Question I still don't get it. If you draw more than 40 or 50amps across any one c/b does it not trip? I understand resistance and capacitance in parallel and series circuits, but circuit protection in parallel is not the same in my mind. If it does double as you say why is the wiring not upgraded also? If two 50 amps are in parallel thus giving 100amps as you say then the wire would have to be a #2 not a #6. Right? Just asking. PM me your answers if you want to so as not to confuse others. Thanks, John
Old 01-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #9
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356

Quote:
quote:If two 50 amps are in parallel thus giving 100amps as you say then the wire would have to be a #2 not a #6. Right?

I am also curious about doubling the breaker protection and not increasing the size of the wiring. Do you run a higher risk of burning up the pump motoer???
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:27 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I think another way to look at it is that in a series circuit the current remains the same and the voltage is the sum of the voltages across each component. In the parallel circuit the voltage remains the same and the current is the sum of current across each component.

The load on the motor is dependent on the voltage at its terminals being maintained at a value close to its rated value. When voltage drops exceed the limits of the motor, then the protection of the circuit needs to be equivalent to the current draw in the circuit. As the supply voltage drops, the current will increase. Placing the parallel circuit breaker in the circuit will allow for the current changes produced by a supply voltage that can vary.

That's my opinion, but I could be wrong. Oopps! I told my wife I was wrong, once - but I quickly changed it to I was mistaken once.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:49 AM   #11
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
The easy way to state all this is it is a known fact that the breaker is undersized out of the factory, the pump folks state an 80 amp breaker and keystone puts in a 40. The wire is the correct size, not the breaker. Found that on the pump manufacturer web site (BREAKER SIZE).

I put two 40's in parallel a couple of years ago, no further problems.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #12
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Sorry Gentelmen, but I still have to disagree. No electrical or sientific reasons given. We will just to have to agree to disagree on this item.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #13
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Quote:

Sorry Gentelmen, but I still have to disagree. No electrical or sientific reasons given. We will just to have to agree to disagree on this item.
Waynem is right on target. The current load is spilt between the two fuses.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:22 AM   #14
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Old Fogies

Quote:

Waynem is right on target. The current load is spilt between the two fuses.
Can you or will you provide a rescource reference for your position that will educate me contrary to my beleifs, or substansuate your position. Thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 04:21 AM   #15
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
boje,

as you maybe aware Lippert Components, a company of Drew Inc, has it's own website - www.lci1.com with alot of Support info and numbered LIP Sheets concerning their components. LIP Sheet 0058 may help with your inquiry. It shows original configuration then a new configuration. The original is 50A and the new is 80A in LIP0058. I would suggest you contact Keystone/or Lippert directly for their input. It appears you have a new model and repairs or mods can be accomplished with no expense to you if there is a problem. I am not an electrician just a Montana owner. Hope this helps. Click below. Dennis

LIP Sheet 0058
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #16
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Thanks for your assistance Dennis.

Bob
Old 01-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Dennis I thank you too.

John
Old 01-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Dennis, thank you for that info. Guess i have to call Lippert and order a 80A. Auto reset breaker to upgrade the montana befor that becomes a problem..

Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #19
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Study Ohm's law in relationship to DC circuits. If you have one 20K resistor in a circuit, total resistance is 20K. If you have two 20K resistors in parallel, total resistance is less than 20K because it amperage is balanced between the two legs of the circuit. Current in a parallel circuit is dependent upon the load in each leg of the circuit. Wiring two circuit breakers in parallel has the same effect, allowing amperage to balance between the two legs, up to their maximum rating.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #20
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Tom -- Is it not true that if those resistor are 1/2 watt and if you draw nore that 1/2 watt accross then it will blow or burn up. Thus a current limiter such as a c/b? I see the c/bs as current limiters in the circuit and no relation ship to resisters which cause voltage drop. True?
On edit: I believe the fuses as exampled are only in parral to each other, not the circut. They are effectively in series to the circuit as it should be for circuit protection.