Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2008, 03:55 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Do you have an evacuation necessity list?

Got thinking bout this last night, when they announced that 17,000 acres was burning north of here, strong winds (35 to 53 mph), moderate (???) drought conditions and the fire had jumped one of the main roads (281) (closed in both directions, those familiar with the RGV will know it is a main arterie to the north). They ordered about 500 residents to evacuate.

Soooo, do you have a list (written down to aid when in a hurry up/panic mode)??

What would you grab if you had 5 minutes to evacuate?? What would you put on your list??

here are some of the ones I came up with:

1. dogs and meds and small supply of food (and crates, as many evacuation centers will not accept the animals UNLESS they are crated)

2. computer/cords, MyBook back up external hard drive

3. Meds for the humans (include things like those breathing machines, bite splints, glucose testing equipment, etc.)

4. small cooler with some water and maybe some snacks.

5. fireproof safe that has important papers, don't forget the checkbook

6. change of clothes and blankets, coats.

What's on your list??

I am going to type up my list and print and post on the inside of one of Tana's doors, where Al and I BOTH know where it is, just in case.

This list will be handy for tornado and other bad weather events.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carol,
Depending on how much time I have in "pre-warning," I would be hooked up, disconnected, and ready to pull all mo possessions to safety.

Five minutes would be evacuation notice time, but there should be plenty of time that something is amiss and I will start getting ready then.

For an immediate threat without notification, then a list of the most important items on top. Life of loved ones and animals comes first - and I hate to say it, but if the animals are unattainable, the life of family members is the most importance. Everything else is material and can be replaced or remembered.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Wayne: In several 'evacuation' exercises I've dealt with locally, nothing other than immediate vehicle allowed; no trailers of any type. Reason local Emergency Action folks gave was due to expected congestion and also lessor fuel mileage towing - getting fuel will be a real problem to begin with and towing would compound the need.

However, that said, my wife and I would probably still try!!!! Too much invested not to..
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:33 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Hurricanes would be ONE kind of emergency where you should be able to evacuate with your trailer.

I was thinking here of sudden storms, tornado, wild fires, many of these come along with little warning.

If I could yank Tana out, with enough warning, I would do whatever, leave lawn chairs, hoses, cut the awning off, whatever, don't wanna lose her.

But there are times when you only have 5 minutes, maybe an hour. These are the kinds of natural disasters that would require taking just the important stuff, that is what the list is for.

So, do you have a list?? And, if so, what items are on your list??

That is what I want to know.

P.S. for those that have great ideas on getting out of town with your unit, please start another thread. THANKS
Old 03-19-2008, 04:41 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We are in the Statesboro Georgia area and this last weekend we had a rash of tornadoes and high winds. We had to bail for an hour or two and thankfully we didn't get in the zone but it was an eye opener. We are doing a list but we are also doing a bail out bag too. This has important papers and spare checks, just a few days meds for each of us, and a 250 gig backup drive about the size of a check book with both computers Ghosted to it. This is now just a backup but the complete operating system and all the goodies off each of our computers so if we had to run and can't grab the computers we can access anything that was on our machines. We now have the bail bag to the right of the door when bad weather gets near by. If the weather radio goes off and we are in the bulls eye we just grab the bag and dogs and we are gone... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Excellent idea Dave.

How often are you ghosting the computers??

Do you recycle the meds? if so, how often??
Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We just did this Monday, we will recycle the meds every month. We have scripts at Wally world and Walgreens so we only need enough to get to on of them in a safe zone. We will do the same for the ghosting. This is new for us so we are feeling our way along. After all the stuff in the last week or so I was hoping for a direct hit... Dave and Betsy
Old 03-19-2008, 06:07 AM   #8
jfarmer
Established Member

M.O.C. #7950
I didn't see tequila on the list.
jfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
As many of you may remember last October, San Diego county evacuated almost 500,000 people because of the wildfires. We were not some of the first to be evacuated, so we spent about 12 hrs packing pictures, important papers, and filling our TT with fresh water, clothing, food, hitching up,etc. Also, took lots of digital pictures of everything in and out of the house. When the reverse 911 call came at 5:00AM, we were out rather quickly(what slowed us down was Kevin insisted on spraying our eaves with water and I wouldn't leave without him). The wind was blowing about 50-60 mph and the smoke was so thick you couldn't see or hardly breathe. We took 4 people, 3 vehicles, two dogs, and one TT. We spent the next four days in the Wal-Mart parking lot about 15 miles from our home until they lifted the evacuation order and we returned to find our house still standing. A lot of other people were not so fortunate and many had to evacuate in only 5-15 minutes. So your ideas about a bail bag are excellent. I am posting this very general evacuation checklist put out by the county to aide anyone that may never have considered the possibility of being evacuated.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carol,
You are correct. When there is NO time, it is best to be prepared. I rely on not only the mmembers good posts here, but also on organizations that have had vast experience in this area.

When Rita came through and was supposed to hit the Galveston area, (I'm 14 miles from it on the coast) we evacuated. I had every intention of leaving 72 hours prior to landfall, but circumstances beyond my control put me out of Texas City 3 hours later than I had planned. It took me, in a simple automobile, 15 1/2 hours to go 150 miles. Believe me, that sucked big time. We are very fortunate in that we get lots of notice when hurricanes are threatening our area, but I can only imagine what it would be like if everyone had to evacuate in 5 minutes. I don't think you would get off your CG if everyone evacuates. Believe me, it is almost mass hysteria. Will I evacuate again? You bet I will, but the next time I'll leave well before or on the 72 hour mark. Those that left at that time had no problems.

Yes, it is most wise to be prepared. Here are some national links that each person can extract what they think the would need for an evacuation.

Hurricane Evacuation Check List

Emergency Preparedness Checklist (FEMA)

SAn Diego Updates

Pockesmart Check List

As for my computers, I just open up the side case and pull the hard drives and take them with me, along with my laptop. Real easy to pull a hard drive now-a-days.

Good planning should help in an emergency situation.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
These ideas are great. They were talking about an emergency grab bag recently here when we were in a tornado watch. One of the things you need to put in there is some cash. Also I would think that copies of important papers would be ok, rather than the originals. Or scam copies of them on a disc. If possible have a full tank of gas/diesel. The lists may not be the same for everyone, it depends on what is most important. Thanks for the links Wayne.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Great topic! This is something EVERYONE knows they should do and 90% procrastinate...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #13
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Ditto, great topic. I wasn't even thinking about that fire being close. No smoke...
Since I am the queen of lists, I will get right on this!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:47 PM   #14
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
1. Mr. Pee Wee the Corgi Dog
2. Me
3. My laptop
4. Grab Bag
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #15
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Great topic Carol!!
I am the "king" of lists and, since I have only three years to get ready , I have compiled lists of almost everything we will need (except experience).
I have started an emergency grab-bag list but don't have some of the items in the references from Wayne (Thanks, Wayne) or in the posts. I will be incorporating them into my list today.
We plan on keeping the "escape kit" where we can grab it, close to the door. The trick will be to keep it up to date (another item I now need to put on my monthly maintenance list - lol).
Maybe I'll just put it on my list of things to list on my lists.
I'm so confused.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #16
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Based on my only emergency evacuation experience(s) it was normally mortar rounds falling, so you got your ass out, dressed or not, just make sure you have your weapon.

Now I can get the wife, my dog and I in our truck and gone in 35 seconds, all the rest is just stuff and covered by insurance.. We used to have evac bags in europe, and carried emergency bags in the frozen north, here I can use my debit card for all needs, so go, go, go...
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Good topic. I use a program for ghosting the computer called Acronis. You can set it to do a full backup and then incremental backups on your schedule. Can do all the computers on your network, even wireless. We will eventually end up in the mountains and it is prone to wildfires, so we will definitely need to have a list. I also have a large fireproof safe for my valuables (read that as things that go bang). So, if I don't get to my important papers, they should still survive. I've been thinking of putting a backup drive in there as well.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #18
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I just got around to shooting pics of the our crash bag. Here are the links http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c.../IMG_02182.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c.../IMG_02172.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c.../IMG_02162.jpg
There are lots of extra pockets for meds and keys and checkbooks. Still haven't decided exactly where we will keep it. Either behind the dining room chair closest to the door or on the dresser in the bdrm to be tossed out the escape window. On or the other. We will try both to see which causes the least trouble... Dave and Betsy
Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #19
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We to have the hurricane evacuation experience. However, what we have learned here in Alaska is that evacuation may not be the issue - being trapped is just as likely. Sudden snow storms that last 48-72 hours, avalanche blocking the only road out of town, earthquakes, severe weather outside of the immediate area that prevents mail, medications, groceries, etc from arriving - you get the point. So, even though we are currently fulltiming, when we get back to a stick built, I will keep Elly Mae well stocked with canned goods, propane, full tank of fresh water, small bottle of bleach for water purification, extreme weather clothes. Obviously before we would travel on a trip, we would either use or reduce the pantry and dump the water to a small level. However, without power or with flooding of wells, the 80 gallons of stored water would be primary for survival.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #20
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
As far as important papers are concerned I plan on scanning and storing on multiple CDs/DVDs. One for the grab and go bag, one to my parents for safekeeping with easy access, and one in the safety deposit box. While they are not originals they are a good starting point from which to work if/when you need them in an emergency and water does't have any effect (at least imediately as far as I know) on CDs/DVDs or their contents...PLUS they are much more compact than all the original papers.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote