Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
Rubber Tramps
Established Member

M.O.C. #9416
Tile??

We want to tile, or otherwise cover, the wall area behind the stove in our '09 Hickory Edition. My question is, will mastic stick to the wall finish, and will the weight of mastic, tile, and grout be too heavy for the wall to support? I've seen a simulated bronze stick on product which I like, but hubby likes the 1" glass tiles better. Do I need to prep the wall in some way for anything to stick to it? Thanks for any suggestions.

Rubber Tramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'd suggest going to a local home improvement store or call a local interior trim carpenter for your answer. The interior walls are just paneling from ceiling to floor. If the tiles are heavy enough to pull the wall away, the cabinets and stove will come with it. LOL
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I don't know if I would put tile on the walls unless it is like the Congoleum brand "Duraceramic" or the type that looks like ceramic tile but is not! The ceramic tiles would be to heavy IMHO and the constant bouncing from travel would be rough on them staying stuck to the wall and the grout would have to be the plastic grout if you were to grout it. I'm thinking of putting up two sheets of plexiglass to protect the walls from splatters off the stove and decorate it that way also. While in Florida this past winter we saw some stick on decors you put on the windows and I think that would dress up the plexiglass also. We have put them on our screen door also which we covered with plexi on the Monte. I may even put up some of that metal wallcovering you can buy at the homestores instead of the plexiglass around the stove area too.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

I don't know if I would put tile on the walls unless it is like the Congoleum brand "Duraceramic" or the type that looks like ceramic tile but is not! The ceramic tiles would be to heavy IMHO and the constant bouncing from travel would be rough on them staying stuck to the wall and the grout would have to be the plastic grout if you were to grout it. I'm thinking of putting up two sheets of plexiglass to protect the walls from splatters off the stove and decorate it that way also. While in Florida this past winter we saw some stick on decors you put on the windows and I think that would dress up the plexiglass also. We have put them on our screen door also which we covered with plexi on the Monte. I may even put up some of that metal wallcovering you can buy at the homestores instead of the plexiglass around the stove area too.
Regarding the "bouncing," standard grout would probably soon crack, and the "plastic" grout might be a real chore to keep clean??
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I agree with the bouncing and the wall flex, something rigid probably won't last too long. Many years ago I used stuff that looked like tile but came in 4x8 sheets. Very easy to work with and looked very nice when done. So what you could do is fasten a piece of plywood to the wall first, using as many fasteners and glue as you want, then cover with finish piece. I thought about covering ours ,but using stainless or aluminum with a nice brushed pattern.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I put plexiglass sheets on the walls behind and next to the stove and held them in place with a bead of silicone.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
The link shows what we used. We brought the back splash, corners, and end pieces at Lowes in the kicthen cabinet department.
http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/a...ash%20montana/
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Now that's what I call a back splash! Very nice George! How does it clean up?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 AM   #9
Rubber Tramps
Established Member

M.O.C. #9416
Jay Bird, that's the stick on product we were looking at (I LIKE IT). Thanks for the replies, definitely won't be going with real tile.
Rubber Tramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Clean up is easy Rondo
Danny and Gaye I think you will like it too. There are other colors if you like.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
George-Those are metal tiles aren't they?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I used those in my S&B as backsplash for under all my cabinets. They held up very well for the years we had the house. They also look nicer once they are installed compared to what they look like in Lowes.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #13
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Rondo,
The backsplash is not metal. It is at Lowes and is called the Fasade Moonstone Cooper Kitchen Backsplash, item # 154257, Model # B57-18. On the Lowes webpage you will find the description and specs.