Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
Schmill
Established Member

M.O.C. #4052
Travel with furnace going

My wife and I have had enough of the winter wonderland here in Kansas and are heading for Southern Arizona at the end of the month. She has a bunch of houseplants she wanted to take along with us.

My question is can we safely travel with the furnace running in our Montana 3295RK, at least until we get to warm enough weather the plants won't freeze?

Thanks for everone's input.

Jacob & Sharon Schmill

Schmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Tis a HOT topic (sorry for the poor pun)

Have a 2004 3295, we have traveled with furnace on when leaving at 4 below, for the houseplants.

We set furnace at 45.

Safety precautions strongly suggest you should turn off propane while refueling tow vehicle.

Try doing a search (top of page, etc etc etc) and you should find where this has been discussed a time or two, lots of feedback, pro and con. Search the archives too.

Enjoy your time away. Safe rides!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Like Countrygirl said please use caution as we have done it before but its not something i would do on a regular outing...just be safe
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
For the record it is a no-no, but if you know the reasons why, then you, like so many of us will drive with a furnace to keep the interior warm(er) AND the refrigerator turned on using propane to keep its contents cold. The final device for ON/OFF consideration when traveling is the hot water heater.

You must remember to turn off everything prior to refueling - you can probably get away with turning off the appliances and not the propane. You must also turn off the propane valves when approaching tunnels. In all cases, you are trying to avoid the "arcing" if either appliance turns on and there are potentially dangerous fumes around the rig. You must turn off your propane supply when travelling on a ferry as well. There could be other places you do not want your propane running as well and depending where you drive.

Knowing these will help you make your decision on running with these appliances activated. You must also be careful not to run your batteries down on real long trips because I believe the trickle recharging might not keep up, but hopefully other members can better comment on this concern.

Whatever you do, be very conscious of it and stay safe, but all warnings will say not to do it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
This is a subject that gets discussed over and over and is renewed periodically. While good sense dictates that there should be nothing with flame turned on while refueling, I have never, ever, seen anything that says you can't refuel with refrigerator and furnace on. I'm one who has seen first hand the results of a fire at a service station several years ago caused by the gas fumes infiltrating the refrigerator vent area and exploding. But still, you can travel with everything on if you want to.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Having run a 12 hour day with the furnace on, I cannot say we noted any degradation of battery.

Safety first.

Have never run with hot water heater on. Have fun with frig on. Have to say tho, that after the recall and the subsequent reports of units burning due to that frig, we have stopped running with the frig on, WHEN I can remember to turn it off. (Blast that old timers leaky brain stuff. )

To repeat: Safety first.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote