Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Where to place a jack on a Montana

My new tires are in at Discount Tires. I would like to know where do they place the jacks on the trailer to raise it? The only thing I can find is on the frame. Well, what about the enclosed underbelly, will that hurt anything?

Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
My preferance is under the axle where the shackle attaches the spring to the axle.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I go with the frame. Since it is an I beam you find the center of the I beam and jack there. I also go as close to the springs a possible.
I also leave the trailer attached to the tow vehicle when jacking up a side because I do not feel the front landing gear can support side pressure.
Good luck,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm sorry I don't have my manual handy, it's in storage with Hanna. The manual tells you where to specifically place a jack on the trailer. Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember on the axle as close to the spring support as possible.

To far away from the supports and you could possibly bend the axle.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
The following is copied directly from my owner's manual:

Tire Changing Basics

1. Use emergency flares when near a road or highway.
2. Block the wheels on the opposite side from the tire you wish to change to prevent accidental movement.
3. Position a hydraulic jack on the frame close to the spring hanger. (Never attempt to use a stabilizer jack to lift the unit)
4. Raise the trailer until the tire clears the ground.

WARNING
Never use a stabilizer jack to raise the unit. Only use an appropriately rated hydraulic jack.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yup, the frame thingy. I use a 10 ton hydraulic bottle jack. Protect yourself with jack stands.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
How about if you use the drive on type block under 1 tire , as you are hooked to the truck, now just change 1 tire and then do the next as you go john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackel1959

The following is copied directly from my owner's manual:

Tire Changing Basics

1. Use emergency flares when near a road or highway.
2. Block the wheels on the opposite side from the tire you wish to change to prevent accidental movement.
3. Position a hydraulic jack on the frame close to the spring hanger. (Never attempt to use a stabilizer jack to lift the unit)
4. Raise the trailer until the tire clears the ground.

WARNING
Never use a stabilizer jack to raise the unit. Only use an appropriately rated hydraulic jack.
I too am close to changing all my tires.
When they say "close to the spring hanger" do they mean Shackle?
So are we talking about two hangers (shackles) on each side,One front of the spring and one back of spring? If you jack up at just one of these points,will both tires come off the ground at the same time or do you need to Jack up one, place a stand under that point and than jack up the other and place a stand under that point in order to remove two tires at once or should I take one tire at a time to the dealer.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:28 AM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Texas Firefighter,

Here is a link to the same topic awhile back. Hope it helps.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=26670
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:19 AM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I place the jack just infront of the forward shackel, it does raise both tires off the ground and I do use Jack stands for safety.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
When I replaced the brakes on my other 5er I did the drive up on stacked 3 high and nailed (3 each) 2 x 12 x 12s squared, and the same 2 high (1 each). the extra is to drive across , leaving the TV hooked up, then I would use the bottle jack to lift the wheel off the wood block and lower tire remove the wheel, I do 1 wheel at a time, if I had 2 good bottle jacks that I could trust I would remove both wheels, put the wheels back on, then jack up the axel put the blockes under the tires then back off, repeat for other side.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #12
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Thanks for the reply from everyone. I just wanted to know just in case they did not know. I was just worried that it would be real hard to find the frame under the trailer with the underbelly inclosed. I will leave it hooked up to the truck and make sure it does not get into my bed....hope it does not lean that far over. I also have the torque instructions for the wheels.
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
John, If they do something with your spare, DO NOT LET THEM USE A POWER DRIVER TO RAISE THE CABLE. A tire shop in WA did this to me and they stripped the gear in the raising device (for lack of a better term). On my unit, 2006, it was a nylon gear that was totally stripped. Fortunately I was staying in Spokane for two more weeks when they did it. On the way out of town I stopped by there and they installed a new unit they had ordered from Keystone. Just had to lug my spare around in the truck bed for a couple of weeks.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
They may stick a floor jack on the axle a few feet from the wheel. Be on the watch so you can stop them. They can get that jack under there and the rig lifted in very short order. I had one tried that on ours and I just barely got him stopped.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
When I shredded one of my Mission tires last week, the Good Sam roadside service guy jacked the tire up by putting his bottle jack under the axle near the tire. When I had all of my Mission tires replaced today with Goodyear G614s, the tech at Wingfoot Commercial Tire used his floor jacks at the same spot under the axles close to the tires. Didn't seem to cause any problems. Was that a bad thing for them to do?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #16
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I place the jack just infront of the forward shackel, it does raise both tires off the ground and I do use Jack stands for safety.
Thanks John,Thats the exact answer I was looking for, I was confused with the term "Hanger".
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #17
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
Do not raise trailer by running tire on ramp to raise it. I did this to adjust brakes and ended up having to replace both axles as they bent!!!
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote