Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Leaf spring length

Yep, I know I could go out and lay in a snow bank at -6 degrees and find the info, but .....

Is 25-1/4" the correct spring length? It has 26" long/6000# springs on it now which are wrong according to how the MORryde suspension links sit but that was my screw up last year when I put new ones on along with disc brakes. The old springs went down the road to the scrap yard;

Oh and it's a 343RL High Country that originally had the ridiculously soggy 5200# suspension

Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
can`t make this stuff up

Not to change the subject but how do you like the disk brakes. I was thinking about the same change out on our new camper. The brakes really don`t seem to be enough for the weight we have now and they are the same size as the ones on our old High Country. I boosted the axles to 6000 lbs over the 5200 as you did it did fell a little more stable going down the road. I just changed out the outside bearing to the next size up with new brake drums to match and changed the springs to 6000 lbs from ETrailer. The length was the same as the 5200 lb springs.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Not to change the subject but how do you like the disk brakes. I was thinking about the same change out on our new camper. The brakes really don`t seem to be enough for the weight we have now and they are the same size as the ones on our old High Country. I boosted the axles to 6000 lbs over the 5200 as you did it did fell a little more stable going down the road. I just changed out the outside bearing to the next size up with new brake drums to match and changed the springs to 6000 lbs from ETrailer. The length was the same as the 5200 lb springs.
The disc brake changeover is probably the single best mod I have ever made on the several TTs and 5ers we have owned. I'm sure that ithey saved me wrecking on I-81 near Hershey, PA when a semi and a big 5er had to make a panic move with both sliding down the shoulder alongside another stopped semi. If I had the OEM magnet brakes, would never been able to stop in time due to the accordion delay effect. I used the larger outer bearings and did a full 6K upgrade - but still ordered the wrong length springs

I like the Kodiak brakes and Hydrastar actuator which works well with the Ford EBC system
Old 01-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
call dexter or use this website: http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/page/398413422
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
call dexter or use this website: http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/page/398413422
Thanks but Dexter will only give you a chart to measure the springs and wheel spacing since it has a Lippert frame - and they have already given that to me If I use the chart, 26" springs are correct .... except they aren't according to what I noted said above about the equalizer. Maybe Lippert would have the info though, using the chassis build number. For sure, not Keystone
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 01-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Yep, I know I could go out and lay in a snow bank at -6 degrees and find the info, but .....

Is 25-1/4" the correct spring length? It has 26" long/6000# springs on it now which are wrong according to how the MORryde suspension links sit but that was my screw up last year when I put new ones on along with disc brakes. The old springs went down the road to the scrap yard;

Oh and it's a 343RL High Country that originally had the ridiculously soggy 5200# suspension
Mine is an 04, but last Sept. I had to have a broken leaf replaced. it was 25-1/4"
Old 01-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
Mine is an 04, but last Sept. I had to have a broken leaf replaced. it was 25-1/4"
Thanks for confirming as we got a break in the weather (64 yesterday, snow and 20 today) and I was able to get out and get under and did find that they are 25-1/4
Old 01-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I replaced the entire suspension on my 3455sa. I used 3500 # Emco springs made in the USA. No issues to date. My unit already had Kodiac disc brake installed by the previous owner. I can tell you hand down, the Disc Brakes are absolutely AMAZING in comparison to drum brakes.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
beeje - I looked at the EMCO site after your recommendation -- and they too may sell Chinese made springs. If you dig into their site, yep, they do have a pretty big plant there. Hopefully yours are USA made.

OK, with that said, I have Universal Group spring, UNA111, from etrailer on a UPS truck as I type. I just could not find a spring that after digging in, could be 'guaranteed' USA unless it was custom built at one of the local spring shop at some very high cost each.

While waiting for the springs to arrive and the weather to at least get into the 40s from the current single digits, got some measuring tools out and had an interesting time yesterday.

I started a little 'forensic research'. This research is telling me that by just putting wet bolts in the suspension wont preclude a problem several thousand miles later. There is no real quality assurance that these bushings or the bolts are made right. Since we pounded out a set of properly assembled bronze bushings in ~15K miles am skeptical that there is really any long lasting part.

I measured a used, 15K wet bolt as well as a new one,plus new OEM nylon MORryde bronze and Lippert Never Fail bushings. Every one was a sloppy fit on the new wet bolt. Since I don't have the new springs yet, haven't checked them against their eye fit but past experience says that they may be a drop in fit. I'll advise in a week or so.

The wet bolt is supposed to be 9/16" or .5625 dia. with the spring eye id/bushing od 11/16" or .6875

Used Wet Bolt Dia = .557 to .561 depending on where measured
New wet Bolt dia = .556 This was a spare MORryde X-factor wet bolt
(I have a couple more coming, one for spare and another to replace one that I broke the grease fitting and will measure them too)

New OEM Nylon Bushing = id .595, od.705

New Bronze = id .565, od .696

New Never Fail polydiamide = id .581, od .699

Even allowing for grease, the dimensions say these bushings and bolts are 'worn out' dimensionally even before use.

Tools used for measuring were a Starrett #230, 0-1" micrometer and a Swedish Almkvist vernier caliper
Old 02-03-2018, 07:42 AM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I did not get anywhere near as technical as you. I think my springs came from etrailer and were advertised as being made in USA. The new bronze bushings fit in tight. I pressed them in with a large vise. Every time I gat home from a trip they get greased to be ready for the next outing.

You are probably correct that none of the suspension hardware is going to last forever. I think the 1st owner of my trailer towed it 30-40k miles. It will take me 10 years to tow that far.

If I have any more major issues with mine, it will be going to Mor Ryde to get there IS installed and be done with the spring suspension all together.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I did not measure the new spring eyes but the bronze bushings tap in fairly easily with a dead blow hammer while the Lippert Never Fails slide in place with a thumb push
Old 02-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #12
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Winter keeps on coming - so I'm going to pull the center bolt, disassemble then dress down the sharp spring ends and paint them completely with a better paint, probably some engine paint left over from when I rebuilt my '31's 5.0 Ford a couple years back. That is after I finish a couple room repaints in the S&B