Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Big time WOW!

WOW!! My skepticism is cured. Reprogramed my F250 7.3L computer with the Hypertech Programmer III and got a different truck. I am not a gearhead nor do I want to go to the drag strip, but this really added power to the diesel. The shifting is better--less sluggish.

If one is inclined to floorboard it, there is amazing response. I took it out on the sparcely traveled freeway and was cruising at 50 mph and tromped down and quickly got to 100 mph and shut it down. It obviously had more to give but I don't plan to go there. I know there are other higher powered chips, but this one is street legal in all 50 states an fully recommended for towing. BTW I don't own stock or sell these things -- just excited.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:38 AM   #2
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Had ours for 2 years and wouldn't be without it. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:41 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
when the warrenty expires on mine I may think about it.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:57 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Has anyone seen any kind of durability tests when using these chips as compared to a stock engine? Mine's stock and I'm plenty happy with that but when the 100k mile warranty runs out, who knows, I might decide to do it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:53 AM   #5
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
That's good news, I hope to install the a Edge Juice/Attitude in mine today or tomorrow.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:00 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Stiles,

Make sure you install a pyrometer to keep track of the EGT. Your EGT will be higher with the chip.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:46 AM   #7
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
THe edge attitude comes with a EGT. Installing it will be the hardest part of the installation.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:10 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

WOW!! My skepticism is cured. Reprogramed my F250 7.3L computer with the Hypertech Programmer III and got a different truck. I am not a gearhead nor do I want to go to the drag strip, but this really added power to the diesel. The shifting is better--less sluggish.

If one is inclined to floorboard it, there is amazing response. I took it out on the sparcely traveled freeway and was cruising at 50 mph and tromped down and quickly got to 100 mph and shut it down. It obviously had more to give but I don't plan to go there. I know there are other higher powered chips, but this one is street legal in all 50 states an fully recommended for towing. BTW I don't own stock or sell these things -- just excited.
Stiles Watson I performed a very similar mod to mine back in March of this year. I went the Banks route, but got more power than imagined. It really makes a huge difference in towing as you will soon find out. Have fun!
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:52 PM   #9
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I've had the Hypertech for 18 months and nearly 50,000 miles. It is absolutely terrific. I know there is a lot of questions about warranty. I am also told that Ford is much more sensitive to this issue than GM is. (Possible Urban Legend.) Having said that, I personally know about a dozen close friends and relatives that have the Hypertech system installed. It was a network that developed after a few of them drove my truck. I have never heard of a problem from this group. In fact, I have never heard of a problem anywhere. I am sure there are some out there somewhere. If anyone has any real and specifically factual examples, I would be interested in hearing about it. - specifically, what failed, why and what the consequences were.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:57 PM   #10
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyRay

when the warrenty expires on mine I may think about it.
I was just going to "add" that when we filled out all of our paper work for the "Lemon Law" in at least 10 different ways the question was asked if our vehicle was altered in any way, which my lawyer tells me WOULD OF VOIDED OUR WARRANTY. You must weigh which is more important. We had troubles from almost the start, so I guess if nothing has happended while hauling like say after 50k I think I would consider this.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:36 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I would encourage anyone interested to go to http://www.hypertech.com read the material and decide. I got the hypertech because it was programmed to minimize EGT and would tow safely in all three settings. As far as warranty worries, so as not to confuse the diagnostics at the service provider, the computer can be retroprogrammed back to the initial settings.

With the Hypertech Programmer III, there is no hardware installation. The reprogramming occurres through the diagnostic connection used by service people to determine what problems need to be addressed when serviced. There is absolutely no visual indication that the engine computer has been altered in any way.

If one is a little leary of adding 100 hp, there are lower levels to choose, i.e., 30 hp and 60 hp. Since I know I am pushing the limit on GCVW, I want to make sure I get up the hill.

Before I did this, I spent a good bit of time talking to the gearheads in the speed shops and mechanics. Their counsel always ended up at Hypertech for towing. If drag racing was the goal, then they would choose something else. My total cost was $312.80 including shipping.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:16 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Stiles, great information, but the link doesn't work. I think it is a comma which gets attached to the URL in your post. I can't seem to remove it. Always appreciate your posts.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:26 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Padredw, sorry the URL is not working for you. I don't know what the problem might be. I just clicked on it in the message as posted and it came right up. I am at a loss since it worked for me.

You might try this one as an alternative. It is where I bought mine: http://www.accessconnect.com/power_programmer_iii.htm
Old 12-16-2004, 09:31 AM   #14
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Hello Folks,
Sorry.... I fixed the link but forgot to mention that I'd fixed it. It worked fine for me after I removed the comma. I also added the html but don't know if that is really needed. But it is working now.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:33 AM   #15
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Thanks, Stiles, now it works for me. Don't know why, don't know how, but there was a comma as part of that URL the first time I tried it. It sure is not there now, and the URL works just fine.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:41 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Padredw, to remove the comma after the page comes up as not found, just click at the right side of the address bar, backspace to eliminate the comma, then hit enter to go to the page. This is why when I post a link I try to remember to put a space before the following punctuation. Just wish I could always remember to do that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote