Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
Dee's RV Colo. Springs, Co

I just picked up my 2011 Montana 3400RL from Dee's rv in Colorado Springs, Co.
The unit went in for a facia panel on the livingroom silde that came loose, the AC not pushing air into the bedroom and a latch buckle broken on the gray and black water tanks swing arm.
The dealer re stapled the facia. Stated that the AC unit was doing all it could and I would need another AC unit for the bedroom. As for the latch buckle the service manager did not even know what I was talking about. I took a mechanic out and showed him and told him what the problem was. He stated take it back where you bought it to get it fixed. He took a pair pliers squeezed the back end of the buckle and opened and closed it about 10 times and said it is fixed. I explained that I had done the same thing but the buckle came off again.
My suggestion to all Keystone product owners is not to deal with this company. I will be sending a letter to the owner of the company and to Keystone about my experience and see what happens.
Is this indicative of dealers that did not sell you the unit?

God bless and safe travels to you all.

jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
JD,
You have just experienced the great customer Dis-service that is Dee's RV in Colorado Springs.
I did not buy my Montana from Dee's as they did not have the model I wanted in stock. I bought it from RV America in Aurora, CO. When I had a warranty issue, Dee's told me that they would not perform the work because the dealer that I purchased it from was less than 50 miles away and Keystone would not pay them for work performed for that reason. I emailed Keystone and was told by Michelle Diaz of Owner Relations "I am sorry to hear you are having trouble finding a dealer to service your unit. Each dealer operates independently. You are welcome to contact another Keystone dealer in the area for warranty assistance. Please let me know if you need further assistance."
No backing from Keystone, no support from Dee's. I now avoid Dee's like the plague.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jdvier

I just picked up my 2011 Montana 3400RL from Dee's rv in Colorado Springs, Co.
The unit went in for a facia panel on the livingroom silde that came loose, the AC not pushing air into the bedroom and a latch buckle broken on the gray and black water tanks swing arm.
The dealer re stapled the facia. Stated that the AC unit was doing all it could and I would need another AC unit for the bedroom. As for the latch buckle the service manager did not even know what I was talking about. I took a mechanic out and showed him and told him what the problem was. He stated take it back where you bought it to get it fixed. He took a pair pliers squeezed the back end of the buckle and opened and closed it about 10 times and said it is fixed. I explained that I had done the same thing but the buckle came off again.
My suggestion to all Keystone product owners is not to deal with this company. I will be sending a letter to the owner of the company and to Keystone about my experience and see what happens.
Is this indicative of dealers that did not sell you the unit?

God bless and safe travels to you all.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
JD if your 3400 is like mine, up on the A/C unit at the outlet side there is a slide you push to close off air coming straight down out of the unit and it forces it into the air ducts that goes to the bedroom and the other ceiling air ducts. So if you feel air right underneath the A/C that vent is open and needs to be closed. You only open it for quick cooling of the main room.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Mine works the same as Indy RoadRunner. The quick cool for the living room and then close it to redirect the air into the overhead ductwork.

When it's real hot it doesn't work very well because it's too much space for the one unit. A second bedroom unit is on the shopping list. Until then we avoid hot weather camping but not being full time we can do that.

If we were Full Time and didn't have a stickhouse to throw money into, the second unit would be there in a snap. Then I just have to worry about finding 50 amp shore power wherever we go.

As for the dealer's service, we used Mike Thompson and any work means they try and get more out of me than they deserved. They taught me to do my own work and that's been working out better because any repairs are less expensive and better than what they can do and when I'm done there's no other damage and the job is cleaned up unlike what they've done to me.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
JD -
As we are hoping to start building soon in Colorado, it is good to know which dealers to avoid, and it sounds like Dee's is one of them. You will find that unlike the auto industry, RV dealers are reluctant to service units not bought there. We had a similar issue when we moved to Wisconsin four years ago. The local dealer did not want to service the unit because it wasn't purchased there. We ended up buying our next unit from him and he explained that for each unit he sells, he averages $1100 in un-reimbursed warranty repairs that he does for customers that are not paid back to him by the RV companies. What many do is shop the lowest price, and they get a good deal because the dealer knows they don't face the un-reimbursed costs. Not right, but the reality of the situation. Almost all dealers will do emergency repairs for travelers, however.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:59 AM   #6
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I guess I'm just thick ... how could an authorized warranty repair not be reimbursed by Keystone? Maybe the dealers repair rates or markup are excessive for Keystone? I think it's sour grapes and foot stomping on the part of the dealer because they didn't get the sale (for whatever reason). I do know that I WON'T be buying my next RV from Dee's because of the way I was treated. What goes around, comes around, I say.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

I guess I'm just thick ... how could an authorized warranty repair not be reimbursed by Keystone? Maybe the dealers repair rates or markup are excessive for Keystone? I think it's sour grapes and foot stomping on the part of the dealer because they didn't get the sale (for whatever reason). I do know that I WON'T be buying my next RV from Dee's because of the way I was treated. What goes around, comes around, I say.
I had some issues with our unit back in 2007. I stopped in here at Rockport at the Montana dealer to see about repairs. They were willing to do the repairs, but said they would have to take pictures and send to Keystone to see if the repairs would be reimbursed. They told me many repairs are considered "lot maintenance" that is to be repaired by the dealer at their expense. With what I've read since then, I'm thinking it is true.

I do know that years ago, Keystone had some independent repair centers that they would authorize to do warranty work. There was on such place in Longview, TX, but they told me Keystone stopped that around 2006 or so. I would sure like to see them institute that policy again.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I have had bad relations with this dealer also, in 07 we bought our 3400 and the sales person laughed at the price I offered so I towed my trade to KC MO and traded for the price I was offering. Montana is a great RV but not Gold, they would not budge from list price, saved a lot taking the trip to MO. had warranty issue to replace the counter top called Keystone and they told me to take it to any Keystone dealer so I took it to Sun City on Hwy 24 and he changed it out and had it back the same day when I told him I was full time in the RV very good. Now the Microwave went out, it is on the extended service plan so I went to Pikes Peak Traveland and they are geting me a new one so far great service.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
This isn't just Keystone/Montana. It happens with all of the brands. When a customer buys a new RV, the dealer doesn't check first to see if it's covered, they fix it and send in the paperwork.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
That must be for what is discovered on the PDI or at a dealer that is interested in future business from that customer. Sure wasn't my experience with Dees RV. They told me to take my warranty claim back to the dealer I purchased the unit from.
I had warranty work done at the dealer that I bought my unit from and their process was to send Keystone pictures before Keystone would authorize them to fix the warranty claim issue.
No consistency in process or policy from Keystone dealers. Kinda like a Forest Gump deal ... box of chocolates and all ..
Amazing, considering what we pay for our rigs

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

This isn't just Keystone/Montana. It happens with all of the brands. When a customer buys a new RV, the dealer doesn't check first to see if it's covered, they fix it and send in the paperwork.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #11
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
so can the colorado folks recommend a service place that they were satisfied with using besides Dee's. i bought mine from Dee's and after the hitch work, not really happy with them. looking for alternatives if i need work
Happycamperscolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
My suggestion to all of you having problems with Dee's is to write a letter to Keystone and complain about their service. MAYBE Keystone will consider pulling them as a dealer because of their service and attitude towards customers. I'd also ask Keystone where you can find a reliable service department that you can go to and if they can get problems you are having taken care of. It is typical that if you go to a dealer you did not purchase your unit from, you will be put on the waiting list because they prefer to service units that are purchased from them first but the way you've described Dee's attitude or at least their helps attitude it seems they could give a ---t about owners period!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #13
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
When you find a customer focused competent dealer, you have hit the jackpot. Above responses reflect why most of us have learned how to do our own repairs.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
FYI... Dees was just bought out by a company called Trailer Source. They have several locations in Colorado. What their sales and customer service is remains to be seen. Hopefully it is top shelf as Dees was crapola.
BTW, I edited my post regarding Camping World on Bandley Drive in Fountain, CO. They ripped me off for over $1300 to fix a slide problem and NEVER FIXED IT. Stay away from those crooks.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Happycamperscolorado

so can the colorado folks recommend a service place that they were satisfied with using besides Dee's. i bought mine from Dee's and after the hitch work, not really happy with them. looking for alternatives if i need work
Sorry, I can't recommend a single place. I am having MD4RV here in Colorado Springs trying to fix my slide problem now. We'll see how good he is if and when he fixes it.
----UPDATE -----
FIXED!
He replaced the hydraulic pump.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:26 AM   #16
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

My suggestion to all of you having problems with Dee's is to write a letter to Keystone and complain about their service. MAYBE Keystone will consider pulling them as a dealer because of their service and attitude towards customers.
From dealing with several different dealers, including of course the actual dealer that sold me our first new unit, plus numerous telephone calls to Keystone Customer Service, I have come to the conclusion that Keystone has no control, nor do they really care how the dealers treat customers. When you really think about it, the dealers are Keystone's real customers. The dealers are the ones that advertise, order all the Montana units, and pay for them, not us.

If anyone on here thinks that Keystone will stop selling millions of dollars worth of RVs to a certain dealer because of a few complaint letters, then you are not living in the real world. I think many folks attend the Goshen rally and get a lot of attention directly from Keystone. That creates a kind of "big brother" attitude where we think Keystone has some type of control over dealers and would step up to defend the "little guy" (customer).

Just remember that Keystone is in the business of making RVs and selling them to dealers, not the general public. Without dealers ordering their products Keystone would go broke in a few months.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:17 AM   #17
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you want something you don't have to work on...don't buy an rv, a boat, certain autos, houses built by certain builders, cheap tools, etc. If you buy anyway, chances are you will be more familar with the problem than the people who say they can fix it and you will probably be more qualified to do it. For sure, you will care more. Face it...when you buy an rv, you are not buying an investment...but something that you will never break even on. Just hope that you get one of the less problematic ones and if so, when you can...help those who weren't so fortunate. John
Old 01-30-2015, 07:36 AM   #18
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
RVAmerica is the dealer I bought from.Have had no trouble with any work done by them and would recommend them for use.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:04 PM   #19
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RichR

RVAmerica is the dealer I bought from.Have had no trouble with any work done by them and would recommend them for use.
That is who I bought my Montana from. Terrible PDI. They tried to send me out the door with the umbilical cord 3/4 pulled out of the junction box which is located on the underside of the pinbox.
BTW, I DID find a reliable, fair, competent and honest RV tech. His name is John Godwin and he owns a company called MD4RV (719) 243-2057 here in Colorado Springs. Facebook page is:
https://www.facebook.com/md4rvs
Webpage:
http://md4rvs.com/
He correctly diagnosed and FIXED my slide creep issue. It was the hydraulic pump.