Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
2006 6.0 rough idle

had this truck for awhile now but noticed this year it runs really rough when cold. i live in Ft Lauderdale. After 4 or 5 minutes it runs fine. Mind you the cold im talking about is 40 or 50. is this normal for a 6.0?

bill maietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Sounds like the fuel injectors could be dirty is all. Have you tried an injector cleaner additive? I've used Kleen-Flo with good results.
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Nope... I start mine in that temp (even in the So. Calif. desert) and it doesn't do this. Maybe something is starting to fail. Do you have a plug to keep the block warm? To see if it's too cold you might try using that, except that I think the plug only warms the block to 40 or 50 degrees anyway. This would only help verify something is wrong.

I had a gas engine in a previous Ford SUV that would do this when I approached the factory interval for changing the oil and coinceidentally changed the oil. After the third time this happened I changed to the "extreme" interval and never had another problem so I attributed it to old oil. But I don't know if this happens for a diesel because there could be so many other things same as a gas engine.

Bottom line is that if it runs rough and didn't before, it ain't right. Also could be caused by old fuel, bad fuel, clogging injector, or a bad injector. Others have had rough diesel engine trouble on different makes caused by an injector (ouch, that's gonna hurt). I wonder if someone can recommend some kind of fuel additive/injector cleaner that solves minor problems like bad fuel or a suspect injector. If it's something worse, I'd go have it checked out because I'm not smart or brave enough to do this myself.

Please let us know what you find.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My '07 (and my previous '04) starts and runs smooth in the mid teens. Something wrong.
Try over on the Ford Truck Enthusiast web site for all questions about Ford trucks. Scroll down to the diesel forums.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Fjkiss
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6278
got mine out last week they reflashed the computer and replaced
3 injectors runs great now even in this cold weather
Fjkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Sounds like you need to pour in some Powerservice diesel additive into your tank.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
could be one of the glow plugs not working.how does it run after it is warmed up? diesels always need to have the glowplugs working.they start with the compression of fuel then ignite with the glow plug.so if a glow plug is not working then that one cylinder with not fire at first causing a rough start.after a couple of miniutes it will run smooth.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:08 AM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Try running your glow plug through 2 cycles then start it.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:44 AM   #9
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
Quote:
quote:Try running your glow plug through 2 cycles then start it.
The Glow Plugs remain on after the WTS (Wait To Start) light goes off and remain on for up to 2 minutes after starting the engine depending upon the engine Oil temp and outside temp. Thus one cannot "cycle" the Glow Plugs - the light is just a "dummy" light that indicates when the plugs are hot enough to start the engine.

coyoterick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #10
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
All I can say.....when it's real cold mine starts better when I run the cycle twice?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #11
timdenchanter
Established Member

M.O.C. #9772
Just got mine out of the shop for similar symptoms. The EGR valve had heavy carbon deposits and three glow plugs were not working. Had the BG service performed on the engine, replaced all 8 plugs, alignment, fluid & filter change and a wash job. Not cheap but I noticed a 20% improvement in fuel efficiency this past weekend on our first trip since the repairs.
timdenchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #12
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steves

All I can say.....when it's real cold mine starts better when I run the cycle twice?
That's because you're allowing more time for the glow plugs to get hotter along with the upper cylinder. No need to shut the key off and back on again, simply waiting the same amount of time that it takes to "cycle" it will accomplish the same thing. In other words if 2 "cycles" takes 35 seconds to complete, simply turning the key on and waiting for 35 seconds before starting will do the same thing. Turning the key off and back on will actually slow things down a bit because you're shutting the plugs off for a couple seconds.

Think about it...if the plugs shut off when the light went out, you'd only have a few seconds to start it after which the plugs would have cooled down far enough that it would not longer start.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #13
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
Is there any way i can check the glow plugs myself? i think that may be my problem as when I allow a couple minutes to go by b4 starting it runs much smoother. i am not a mechanic however.....
bill maietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
If you are in side the 5 yrs and 100,000 miles it is covered by the warrenty, I had 3 injectores fixed and now runs great. sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #15
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
the injectors are under that warranty not the glow plugs.as far as checking them yourself it might be cheaper to have them do it then mess with it yourself. you could spend more trying to replace stuff that you think is wrong only to find out it was not those parts that are bad.the dealer should diagnose the problem in uder half a hour.and chage the parts if it is glow plugs in under two hours.total bill should be under 300.00.thats if that is all that is wrong with it
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:21 AM   #16
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
How many of the people that are having injector problems, or problems with carbon, run a fuel additive? Just asking because my Ford service manager suggested that I use it every tank fill. So far so good with my 06.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #17
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
Quote:
quote:the injectors are under that warranty not the glow plugs.
The 5-year/100,000mile warranty does indeed cover the glow plugs, here
is the engine warranty as found on Ford's web site:

6.0L PowerStroke Diesel Engine Coverage
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the direct injection diesel engine and engine components against defects in factory-supplied materials or workmanship for five years after the warranty start date or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
After the end of the Bumper to Bumper Coverage period (three years or
36,000 miles, whichever occurs first), you must pay a $100 deductible for each repair visit.
Ford Motor Company or Ford Motor Vehicle Assurance Company covers
the engine and these components: cylinder block, heads and all internal parts, intake and exhaust manifolds, timing gear, harmonic balancer, valve covers, oil pan and pump, water pump, fuel system (excluding fuel lines and fuel tank), high pressure lines, gaskets and seals, glow plugs, turbocharger, powertrain control module, electronic driver unit, injectors, injection pressure sensor, high pressure oil regulator, exhaust back pressure regulator and sensor, camshaft position sensor, accelerator switch.

The 5-year warranty period begins from the original purchase date, not the date of manufacture. The original owner of my 2006 purchased it in Feb. of 2007, so my warranty runs until Feb. 2012.

Rick
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #18
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

How many of the people that are having injector problems, or problems with carbon, run a fuel additive? Just asking because my Ford service manager suggested that I use it every tank fill. So far so good with my 06.
The consensus over on the Ford Truck Forums http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php is that the 6.0 PSD needs higher Cetane than what pump fuel provides so I've always run an additive in mine. So far no problems with EGR/injectors/plugs etc. yet however I've only got 25,000 miles on it....

Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #19
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Mine did the exact same thing...all you need is a new set of dual batteries....get a good heavy duty set and that will solve your problem...my 05 did the same thing after the batteries got about 5 yrs old...ford will charge you 300 for batteries...dont buy there
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #20
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
Mine is also running rough at start up. Can batteries really affect how the engine runs after it starts? My batteries are also 5 years old but seem to have plenty of cranking power. Just recently started using fuel additive but can't really tell any differance.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote