Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Apollo Oven Heaterbox Assembly replacement

My malfunctioning Convection operation was diagnosed by Bob the Technician at Midwest Sales per Tami Held's advice as most likely the Heater Box as the Fan no longer spins and the grinding noises I heard were likely the Fan going bad.
So I've ordered the Heater Box assembly from Midwest Sales and reputedly its not too hard to install/replace.
I've found Tami and Bob at Midwest Sales to be very helpful!
Has anyone else repaired/replaced their Heater Box and have any advice?
Thanks!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I've got mine apart and now I can't remember how the blower motor goes. Take pictures and yes, Bob is very helpful. Hopefully, mine will be back together tomorrow.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
I was looking for parts for my Apollo and was surprised to find an IPB and all the parts I needed from Sears Parts. Entered the model number in a couple of different ways and there it was. Just thought I'd share another place to look for parts.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
IPB?????????????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Sorry, "Illistrated Parts Breakdown"
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the information. I've saved the info.

Just in case you find the Apollo parts will be a bit expensive, you can buy a "blemished" brand new Apollo from the mfr. These were returned by RV dealers, never installed, because of cosmetic defects. We bought one a year or two ago and it has a dent in the back inside wall. At that time the cost was $100 plus shipping. For us, shipping was $16. Just a note in case you find the parts prohibitively expensive.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Tami did not offer me a refurbished Apollo, albeit a new one for $275.
I don't mind salvaging/repairing appliances to defer their journey into the waste stream. For $76 including S&H, they sent me the "Heater Box Assembly, which may be the entire back of the unit as it also has all the heating elements, so its not just the squirrel cage fan...
I may have to call Bob again as their were no instructions included and the provided wires may or may not match those on the unit...
Plan to tackle Monday and will report on how it goes!
Have a great weekend!
Old 07-10-2010, 03:07 AM   #8
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
the provided wires may or may not match those on the unit...
Plan to tackle Monday and will report on how it goes!
Have a great weekend!
[/quote]

I found it very easy to fix. There are warnings on the back about possible electrocution etc but Bob told me all the power drains in a second or two after the unit is unplugged so not to worry. You will not need those supplied wires. Use the existing ones. The two wires to the blower motor have blue connectors. You do not need to remember which side they go to. the rest of the wires are easy to figure out by their length. those two white wires go to a connector that is buried in the insulation. Just take it off and then reinstall it on the new one.

The biggest problem was taking off the torx screws. the instructions said a #2 torx would work but mine didn't. I used some small vice grips (also suggested by the instructions) A small power screwdriver is immensely helpful.

If you need any other help, let me know. bob is certainly a better source.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Repair completed!
Taking it apart was not hard, except for the two "Unremovable Screws for your safety". Fortunately, in all the weird Torx Bits I bought for my Dodge Ram (per advice for taking it apart), I had the small Female(?) Torx bit that fit the "unremovable screws".
Ah, but the new heaterbox assembly has a new wiring approach where the parallel connection to the middle heating coil is now two separate connectors and wires that are joined at the Control Board versus a single wire from the Control Board and the coils tied together. New wires were provided and I was flummoxed as to how I would connect this new double wire to the Control Board buried somewhere in the unit.
Fortunately Bob had the easy answer: remove the case (only two screws were holding it on after removing the back)and connect in place of the old wire which is on the left as you face the Oven and directly under the yellow wire/connector. He said this change was made due to problems with overheating at the dual element connection.

Reinstalled and tested. Baked my favorite Pillsbury Peanut Butter Cookies in half the recommended baking time just like it used to!

Alas, I'm not sure when I'll use convection again as my current job site stay will end this week and I don't know when I'll use my RV again.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
PS,
I estimate it took about an hour to complete, and I ended up with 3 leftover screws...