Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Lake Minden 1000 Trails

Arrived today in site 82 in the D section. If you're in the area, Let's do lunch!!!!! Send e-mail with contact info!!!!!

Phil & Cathy

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That's one 1000Trails CG we haven't done yet? What's Lake Minden like? With the water problems in California the past few years, is there actually a Lake? We hope to see you soon, somewhere!

Other questions. When you were at Yosemite Lakes were you able to get to Yosemite Valley at all? What did you see/do? My friend and I will be in Yosemite Valley starting June 27 and I am curious what the Valley floor conditions were like. Was there any snow anywhere in the valley? Did you see any in the upper elevations from the valley? We are expecting a clear valley floor for some hikes to Vernal & Nevada Falls and then we know there will be snow when we start backpacking from Tuolomne Meadows and into the 10,000 ft level, then back into the Valley via Half Dome. We are also checking the YV websites but they tend to generalize and we prefer first hand info if you have anything, then we can estimate from there. Thanks. The only concern we have is lots of snow slows us down and we have an ambitious schedule.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Art, The lake here is alive and well and there are some fairly big fish jumping up in the AM. They have a walk the trail program and it is one mile around the lake. We have a nice site, but no sewer, but they have honey bucket service twice a week. The only sites in the Full hookup area are narrow and the biggest is only 40ft deep, the area looks like a parking lot, these sites are only 14 wide also. They only have seven sites large enough for a 40 footer. We have elected to stay in the W & E area only.

Yosemite was clear, except the second day we went to the park it had snowed the night before and they were only letting in 4WD or chained cars only. (The first time we went later in the day and could not find a place to park our truck). We got in and most of the snow into the park had melted, on the roads anyway. Had no problem finding a place to park.....No snow when we left and the valley was beautiful, Rivers were running very fast so we stayed away from them. Yosemite seems like a hikers and backpackers paradise. Not a lot to do other than walk. Not very dog friendly either and you know how I feel about that. We did do the valley and Wanona and went to the dam at Hetch Hetchy. We also went to Bridalveil Falls (the only place we could take the dog), also Lower Falls. A lot of driving. Did see bear and deer. Expensive eats, where you can find it. We did a deli sandwich at Degnan's deli and a roast beef and cheddar was $8.99. Good, big, but costly.....No snow in the valley at all, upper levels, sure. I saw enough snow in Alaska in my 14 years there so not particularly appealing to me. Looks good in pictures though. They do say it could snow anytime at the higher levels, but in late June, I think not......I think the highest level we drove through was 6192, don't hold me to that though. Good luck to you and your friend and stay safe, and, above all, have a great time!!!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Thanks. This is good G2, and I'm not surprised it still snowed. It can snow up to mid June in those areas especially around the 8,000 to 10,000 ft elevation. That's what we were afraid of, but not surprised by it. I think it won't snow on us, but I so expect snow on the trails. Fortunately all the permits are doled out expect for a handfull of days starting June 4. Hopefully this means the trails will be marked with foot traffic and with our experience mapping skills and improving GPS skills, we should be good. Many thanks for the info.

It seems like Lake Minden was made some time ago with no consideration for the behemoth RVs now on the road. It's still on my place to visit as we make the 1000Trails rounds and now I now what to expect. Thanks again!
Old 06-09-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Phil, Can you tell me where you wound up staying at/near Yosemite? We shoud be there sometime in August and would like about a week there...We will be coming down I-5 from Oregon and do not have 1000 Trail membership.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Helen, We stayed at the Yosemite Lakes CG. It is 1000 trails, BUT, has areas for others to camp. It is a fairly decent park and 5 miles from the west entrance of Yosemite on Hiway 120. It is the only CG we saw in that area and I know they allow other campers in. You should give a call to verify. There are a couple CGs in the park but I don't think I would want to take a large camper in there, only one listed big rig friendly and limited sites. Auguest is busy month for them. The Yosemite website will give info on camping in the park, Most I saw was tent campers.......

Phone number for the Ranger station at Yosemite Lakes (information) is 209-962-0103. Hope this helps and have a great time. Phil
Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Forgive my intrusion but this is turning into a "Now that you are at Lake Minden, what's up at Yosemite" topic.

Helen, here is a link that describes the closest RV campgrounds and include Yosemite Lakes (1000 Trails member campground). Having only two months notice is very risky for finding anything but please give these locations a try. You will definitely be concerned about your rig size when locating a site:

http://www.yosemitepinesrv.com/yosemite-lakes.htm

Most of these campgrounds are a bit of a drive to Yosemite Valley, for example, Yosemite Lakes is 5 miles from the Park entrance but it's about another 20-25 miles to get to the Valley floor so allow an hour and time to park. At the Parks entrance you pay an entry fee that is good for a week from the entry date.

Last I checked, the RV compatible sites in Yosemite Valley are completely sold out and many sites wouldn't fit our rigs anyway. The bigger RVs start showing up end of June when the kids are out of school but the large sites are limited and tough to park. However, when you visit the Valley floor you could check with each campground for cancellations, but there are only three CGs with a 'chance' to fit your rig (Upper Pines, Lower Pines, and North Pines) and they are at the back of the Valley. Even if your rig fits lengthwise, there are trees everywhere. But this is only if it is important to stay in Yosemite Valley itself. Hookups are limited and I have never even bothered to check where the dump station would be.

I do know one thing for sure. After visiting Yosemite Valley, it's quite a trek to visit Phil and Cathy for lunch at Lake Minden.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thank You Phil... We have made our reservations adn all is good.. They even give an Escapee discount.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Great Job Helen, Always glad to help, I know you will enjoy the park. There is a little town 16 miles west of the CG called Groveland, They have a fairly well stocked market there and not too pricey. Also a pretty good hole in the wall familiy Mexican restaurant in the middle of town and an espresso shop if you have that urge. Best diesel price is two miles further west at Big Oak Flat, a place called Claim Jumper. Diesel = $3.19, in Groveland = $3.49 and at the Texaco at the entrance to the CG was $3.95. Quite a difference, BTW, no fuel in the park......Phil
Old 06-10-2010, 01:59 AM   #10
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

BTW, no fuel in the park......Phil
The gas station in Yosemite Valley was removed years ago but, the park web site still says "Gas stations are open year-round at Wawona and at Crane Flat, and seasonally at Tuolumne Meadows on Tioga Road."

Are you saying that these have closed or that they just don't sell diesel?

Grant aka BirdingRVer
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
There is one at Wawona, which was two hours from the West entrance with traffic and road repairs. Did not notice one at Crane Flat or Toulomne meadows. Could be but sign at west gate says no gas.......