Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
What did you say? -- revised

Well, it is time I guess. I have finally lost enough hearing to get tested and start the process of getting hearing aids. I don't have any ego issues with wearing them, just that it gripes me to spend the money. My brother has about $10,000 tied up in his ears. Escapade Rally had a seminar in Gillette, WY last year and the company that did it sounded legit, so I may try America Hears. Grumble, grumble........

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Stiles, I did that over two years ago, and I'm really glad that I did. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Stiles,
I got mine (half shell) at the Midwest Hearing and Dental Clinic off I-44 in Mt. Vernon, MO for $1250 each a couple years ago. Great thing about this clinic is that they have RV parking with water and 30- and 50-amp power. You can stay there as long as you need to, free, as long as you have an appointment. Only takes one day for the hearing aids. This past Spring, we stayed there 18 days free while Marge had a crown made and fastened in her mouth.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Dianna and I both had the test. Neither of us have enough hearing loss to merit audio augmentation. Good news for the pocket book, bad news for hearing in a restaurant or any group larger than about 4 people. I will have to make a concerted effort to really tune in to folks addressing me, including Dianna.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Man I heard that----welllll almost.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm sorry Stiles. What did you say?

Oh! sometimes when you are over a "certain" age, there are organizations that will assist you in acquiring audio enhancements. I have never researched it but was told once during a hearing test years ago.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Stiles,
I have the same problem in large groups. I have to ask people to repeat things a lot of the time. My daughter is an audiologist and she tested me last year. There was no appreciable hearing loss. Maybe as we get older, we just don't want to hear everything anymore.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Selective hearing disorder
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Oh, Stiles, is it just the wife that you have a hard time hearing. That is definitely the syndrome of SHD.

SHD - Selective Hearing Disorder - and I sure have it even with the hearing aids.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, DW and I are experiencing what we call an AWA (As We Age) hearing problem. We accuse each other of not being able to hear, but it's more like we can't hear everything at the same time like we used to and can't retain it even if we wanted to.

If DW is talking to me about something and the television is on and/or I am on the internet, I will hear everything she says, but I am able to remember it up until the time she finishes saying it. If I am saying things and she is doing the same, she doesn't remember it either. I know she heard it, because of the head nods and the "uh-huh"s.

And then in a crowded room, with lots of talkers, where this is magnified, oh my goodness...

You guys have hit it on the head. It's SHD, combined with CRS (Can't Remember.... Stuff) caused by AWA.

I guess I just saved money from a doctor's visit by using the MOC! Where's that stack of money with the two eyeballs on it when you need it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Got my first hearing aid from the VA. Only needed one ear when it first started. They done catscans and everything they could think of to try and figure out why I lost hearing only in one ear to no avail. They now have a real good hearing aid compared to the first one that I got from them. Of course now I have them in both ears. It was only a matter of TIME.... JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote