Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Thank You to Glenn for his Signature size

Glenn,
A year ago I PM'd you asking you to shrink your signature block. At the Rally we discussed it again.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

You have set many examples on the forum and I hope this is another one.

I ask others with large signatures (over one screen size) to please consider reducing them to a single page at the most.

Thank you,

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I just turned them off as I got tired of it too.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Turning signatures off is a personal option. I also became tired of the ever increasing size of the signatures.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
John, You are Welcome. Our discussion was a big part of my reducing it's size BUT I have felt in the past couple months that most of my signature was just a bit much, "overkill" if you will. After I made the change I was perusing thru the forum's many posts and realized just how quickly I was able to scroll past my own signature.
IMHO, I would like to see the many other lengthy signatures also be reduced and even more importantly the many photos in the signatures also be reduced significantly and turned into THUMBNAIL hyper links redirecting everyone to a much larger version.
The loading of any photo adds to the overall load time of the forum. By reducing said photos to a thumbnail and a redirect will be a HUGE help in speeding things up for the MOCers that do not have a Hi-Speed connection.
Just scroll down to my signature below and you will see just what I am referring to.
If anyone needs assistance reducing or setting up a link just let me know and I will be happy to walk you thru it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'm trying to judge what a page length is, but there are so many screen sizes. What size screen resolution do you use John?

My new Laptop is running 1920 by by 1200, and I got to say Glenn, other than a cut and paste from RV.net standards, your pics look like a postage stamp on Bush's desk from a spy satellite. I can change the resolution of the screen somewhat, but then it starts impacting other programs.

I don't mind catering to the middle somewhere, if I knew what that was.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Brad and Dory,
You bring up a good point and I am betting there a hundred different settings in use. I am running my laptop at 1280 X 800.
As Glenn mentioned my issue was scrolling two page lengths just to get to the next text post.

Thanks for you post because it does open more discussion items.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Most long or big post are not looked at anyway so what is the big deal get it smaller so you don't have 4 post to a page , where it could be 16 post per pg,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Not as small as I was hoping, but got it to fit on 800 by 600. I'll have to rework the winter picture to be a little smaller.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sailer

Most long or big post are not looked at anyway so what is the big deal get it smaller so you don't have 4 post to a page , where it could be 16 post per pg,,, sailer
Large or small signatures do not change the number of posts/replys to a page. There are 10 posts/replys per page regardless the size of the signature. BUT if all 10 post/replys had huge signatures as mine did the total lenght of those 10 could go on forever or at least seem that way.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I cleaned mine up a little too. If it's not enough let me know, and I will try the thumbnail route, or get rid of the weather thingy.

Another thing we can do after the initial post on a thread, is is to un-check the signature box for any further replies to the same thread. I think it has been discussed before, but in my case, CRS is an on-going battle .
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:36 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Another thing we can do after the initial post on a thread, is is to un-check the signature box for any further replies to the same thread. I think it has been discussed before, but in my case, CRS is an on-going battle .
Yep- I do what Lonnie does too. At least in a long debate it eliminates continuous signatures in the post.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:41 AM   #12
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
I would like to be another to give thanks....

First to H.John Kohl for bringing this topic up.

The too large photos have bothered me for awhile, but I did not what to say anything and insult any posters....So H.J.Kohl thankyou for bringing this up in a polite and straight forward manner.

Thankyou to all the posters that have responded to the request of reducing the size of photographs in your signatures.

I do like seeing the photos that one will share, but I do not like having to thumb through pages just to read all the responses.

My favorite is when a poster will post links to their signature so we may choose to go look at photos....which I do.

Again thank you to all!

Once again the Moc site is the best place to visit

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #13
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Many thanks, I had questioned this over a year ago and was told just to turn it off. glad it has been reesolved
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #14
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Thanks H. John and Glenn - just shrunk ours!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If you notice under my photos it says "Click on either of the above for a larger image" This statement has been there for years and both of the viewable photos are links to a larger size of the same pic.

I will allow my signature to post on this reply so you don't have to go back a couple pages.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I too have thought that most of the signatures were getting out of hand on here. They are just too darn big. Thanks to those who have taken the first step in reducing theirs down and..... (gulp)... I will put my neck out here... and hope that some will take a second step and reduce them down further when they get comfortable enough to do it. Many objects could be moved to the same line as another object if a person really wants to keep it.

Thanks again. I think I'll go look at my signature and see how I might reduce it also.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

I too have thought that most of the signatures were getting out of hand on here. They are just too darn big. Thanks to those who have taken the first step in reducing theirs down and..... (gulp)... I will put my neck out here... and hope that some will take a second step and reduce them down further when they get comfortable enough to do it. Many objects could be moved to the same line as another object if a person really wants to keep it.

Thanks again. I think I'll go look at my signature and see how I might reduce it also.
OK, I thought I was comfy with my reduced signature and than took that 2nd look. I have just reduced my Signature even further BUT that's about as far as I am willing to go.
Maybe I should also point out that the more photos/graphics we show the more bandwidth we use. The more bandwidth the slower a page will load. Personally I feel all photos/graphics should be reduced to Thumbnails to a larger photo hosted at TinyPic or an album such as the MOC album. Anyone whose rig appears on the Members Rig Pages may link to that photo. IF ANYONE needs help with that just let me know. If you need help creating a Thumbnail just let me know.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 AM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OK, I am gonna get slammed for this big time, oh, dear.

Some of the sig lines have now shrunk to the point that I can barely read them on my 19 inch monitor with res set at 1024 X 768. Maybe it is time for me to see the eye doctor, maybe the diabetes is stealing my sight??

I have not tried it, but, I am pretty sure that the ones I can barely read here will not be legible at all on the HP tablet PC.

??????????????????????????????????????????

My current sig line does not cover more than one page, and I am trying very hard to remember to turn it off when I do a second post on any one thread. I did ask one of the admin/moderators if it was too large and was told it fell within the limits they would like to see.

The sig lines do reflect who we are, we do get to know each other through them. Hoping we can reach a happy compromise on this, sad to see them so small I cannot read them.

Moderation in life in all we attempt. A goal of mine. Sometimes I succeed, other times I fail miserably.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:12 AM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahahaaha - I knew that was coming. I too can hardly see the new sigs on my laptop at 1920 X 1200.

I think this thread sufficiently aligned folks to seek a compromise, but trying to cater to the extreme low resolution screens has an equal negative impact to those with high resolutions screens. Web builders no longer cater to 800 X 600 screens, nor even dial-up modems, so for those still using that equipment I'm sure it's not just the MOC signatures you find irritating.

I'm with Carol - the sigs do offer a place for personality, and as I've stated before, I've had lengthy conversations over the last few years with people I could never recognize on the street, but would know their signature anywhere. Using the RV.net guidelines as a contrast (which is where I think some would like to push this), the sigs are impersonal with poor graphics yet unlimited text space below where people list the years of their rigs, their house, their 5 other cars, and even their wife, so the page still rolls over!

Consideration for older computers and low speed connections is important, but let's not step back to the dark ages.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #20
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Just checking. Does this look too large? Thanks. Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote