Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Suburban Water Heater Propane Leak

Picked up an '05 Mountaineer on New Years Eve got to a campground and set up, the following day the propane alarm went off. I put a post on rv.net before I knew about this site, and got some suggestions. We stayed there for another day and the alarm didn't go off again, but it was real windy. The other day I tested it and again got the alarm.

It only goes off when the burner is on. Did the soap and water test today and it is leaking where the propane line goes into the LP valve,the one with 4 wires that allows the propane to flow. At this point I am guessing that the fitting is loose but it appears that if it is tightened some more, the 45 degree nipple won't line up with the propane feed line. Has anyone else had this problem.
I am all ears.

Thanks
Ray

jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I took a look at our water heater, and the gas valve has an elbow coming out of the top of it. One end of the elbow is pipe threads, the other is for tubing.

If your's is like that, I would remove the fitting, clean and tape or use compound, and re-tighten. Only other way would be tighten a full turn, and you're dealing with brass and aluminum, and something might strip out. Just my thoughts.

After thinking about this more, I can't understand how the leak on the water heater is setting off the propane detector. The heater is vented to the outside, and no propane should be entering the trailer. I'm not saying the leak doesn't need fixed, just that I think something else might be triggering the detector.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
SlickWillie, I understand what you are saying, but why do I only get the smell when the water heater is heating. Where else would I look. The furnace, fridge and water heater are all in the area.
The fridge is off and the heater has run for about a week. The problem is when the W/H has been on for a few minutes.

Ray

Ray
Old 01-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
One thing for sure; that leak needs fixed. Hopefully that will fix the problem. If that doesn't do it, you can look elsewhere then.

BTW, what unit (floorplan) do you have?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Check the water heater to see if there is a switch to use electric instead of gas. Saves on propane. '05 may not have had them.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
SlickWillie, it is a 297RKS
Waynem, yes it is also electric.

Ray
Old 01-20-2008, 02:52 AM   #7
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Any suggestions, I am as confused as I sound. Since we have only spent 2 nights in the 5er I really don't know. The first two nights we spent in Banning, Ca. wind was blowing about 45 mph and the alarm went off twice, both times after DW and I walked by the propane sensor after a shower. We never smelled anything but the water heater was heating up.

When we got home I have run the furnance at 40 degrees to keep things from freezing. It's been 2 weeks with the heater and no alarms, so I'm thinking water heater. The other day I'm inside putting down no slip material in the cupboards with the water heater on and the propane smell is unbeliveable so I open a window. The propane alarm NEVER went off.
I sprayed(soap&water) all the fittings under the rig and see nothng.
I spray the fitting where the propane goes into the LP valve on the water heater and get a lot of real small bubbles but they don't get any bigger. The heater runs the full cycle and no smell and no alarm.

The only time I have had a problem is when the wind is blowing, I just can't figure it out.

Ray
Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ray,
You should not see any bubbles at all, on any propane fitting. Tighten it up, or replace it if you can.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote