Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
dwells
Established Member

M.O.C. #6428
Trip to South Dakota

My wife and I are planning to take a trip from Columbia SC to Salt Lake City via South Dakota and any other interesting points along the way, about 2 month trip. My question--would August and Sept. be a good time so as not to get into cold weather or should we leave earlier.

dwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Those should be perfect months. It is usually a beautiful time in the this area.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:50 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
August is the best month to be in the Black Hills of South Dakota. July the temps can soar well into the 90's and 100's, and September is usually be in the 60's and 70's. I like the 75 - 85 temps that August brings in the hills. Have a great trip!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:29 AM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Not sure when the big motorcycle rally is this year but it is normally in the middle of august sometime. Depending on how big of crowds you like you may want to avoid that time frame.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
August 7-13 for the Sturgis motorcycle rally this year. There will be many bikes in the Black Hills during that time.

Dwells, you may already know what you want to see in the Black Hills. It's one of our favorite areas. If you need ideas, please click on Our RV Travels in my signature. Choose the 2004 Postcards, then scroll to the postcards from July 1, 2004 through July 29, 2004. There is so much to see in that area and we need to go back to see even more.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,

Come join us at Sturgis this year! I have that month off, might be making a trip back home to the hills for the rally...
Old 05-30-2007, 02:20 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We were there once during the rally and never again. Bikes are everywhere. We had a terrible time finding a parking place or a seat in a restaurant. But I have to admit that it was a ball and we sure saw some beautiful bikes.

We plan on going there in a couple of weeks again on our way to Montana. Can't wait.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Helen,
Have a blast in the hills... I am jealous!
Old 05-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
It is a neat area...we've spent some time there too. We went through the Badlands in July when the temps were 112 in there...did I hear someone say, but it's a DRY heat?
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Living there for the last 22 years a couple of things come to mind that may help those out that want to visit during the rally which is a very busy time. The Southern Hills is an area that is much quieter than the Nothern Hills. The Hot Springs area has 1 National Park campground, Wind Cave, primitive with water & sewer dump station, prairie setting; 2 state park campgrounds Angostora Lake, some sites with WS&E, prairie type with big Cottonwood trees and Blue Bell in Custer State Park, primitive, water, huge pines on the Wind Cave Custer SP border; 2 Army Corp parks, Cotton Wood, 2 miles of dirt road black top in the park with pine setting and Cold Brook, down in a valley right on a natural spring meadow setting hills all around, 2+ miles of gravel; and three private campgrounds a KOA on Hwy 79, Allen Ranch right on Hwy 18 on the East edge of town sights right on Fall River 30 amp water no sewer but has a dump, and Kimosabi(sp) just West of town heading to Wind Cave prairie setting on top of a hill no trees 30 amp sewer and water.

If you have time to spend and it does include the rally plan your stay in the Southern Hills and move North as the rally ends. Many days of things to do and see most of it having to drive longer distances. Which will be all forgotten in the beauty around every corner.

Mid to late August is a great time to visit account the rally is over and school has started for many of the families with kids visiting. The hills quiet down and it is a time for everyone to relax making it way more laid back. Nights start to cool 40s-60s and the days average 70s-80s and not much rain if any at all. The Southern hills are warmer than the Northern hills over all and with the new 4 lane Hwy 79 done the drive is around 50 minutes from the Southern to the Northern hills. Hope this helps, hope you enjoy the Papa Sapa (Lakoda for Black Hills) and remember the Tatanka (Buffalo) are very fast and dangerous. I miss the Hills and the spiritual feeling they give you. Many other animals to see also including deer, elk, coyote, antelope, prairie dogs, mountain lion, wild turkey, all of which have increased in population over the years.

Enjoy..............
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote