Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2006, 03:16 AM   #1
medic519
Established Member

M.O.C. #4109
2955RL leaking bedroom slide

I took our 2004 2955RL to the campground last week. Parked it, hooked electric up and left the slides in for a night. That night it rained, HARD, when we got to the campground the next day the carpet on the left side of the bed near the bottom of the wood trim was soaked. It was so soaked that the wood trim soaked up the water and discolored about 4 inches up. I have slide toppers on both slides. I have looked at the seals, the gaskets, the roof and can't find anything out of the ordinary. We brought it home, parked it outside, left the slides OUT because it was supposed to rain. Well now the damn thing leaks apparently if the slide is in or out. I just got it back from my dealer after a big to-do and replacement of my 3X leaking gray tank. (Which Keystone authorized repair of I might add). I am frustrated and getting tired of messing with this Montana. My buddy bought a brand new TT that only cost him $10,000 has had it 2 years and not one problem. I spent more than $30,000 for a brand new Montana and I have pulled it to the dealership more than I have pulled it camping. And spent a hell of alot of my own money.
Sorry, got off on a rant. If anyone has any suggestions please help. I want to try to avoid more expense out of my pocket if I can and I am going to try and fix it on my own. Just need a starting point.

medic519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:41 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Medic519, We have an '05 2955RL and never a leak. Your situation is baffling based on what you described??? Hope you or someone else can help you get 'er fixed/corrected soon. Bummer.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:01 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I found out the hard way that water finds a way. For me it was completely hidden. The water didn't get in where you could see it but did damage that I had to repair on both slides. Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:48 AM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Medic519, I guess you need to start by checking for a rolled seal at the top of that slide, on the side it leaked. When the slide is out...check that the rubber seal is still clamped around the frame edge. Possible a driving rain will push through this point if its pulled away, whether open or closed as you indicate there is not an obvious location on roof seams. As previously stated, water has a way but often when you do find the problem it makes perfect sense.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:07 AM   #5
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
I agree to look for a rolled seal. Also, we had a leak in our camper now and it leaked A LOT. We had a very hard, driving rain. Looked and looked for a possible place and finally found a very small area where the caulk had come off. I mean, it was no more than an inch or two long. We had a lot of rain that weekend, and it blew so hard and I guess in just the right direction. It could be something so simple. Don't be discouraged and I know it's hard not too. We have had our share of troubles and we have had TT and 5th wheels, Jayco, Fleetwood, Travel Supreme, and there's always been an issue of some sort with them all. Doesn't matter if they are $1,000 or $100,000. They all still have issues. Hang in there.
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:12 AM   #6
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
That is the biggest bummer. I would be frustrated too. Hang in there; sometimes it takes awhile to get the "kinks" worked out...
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Our 2955 developed a leak that we thought was the bedroom slide, but it turned out to be clogged drain hole on the outside of the bedroom window. We had a soaked carpet, too. Bob cleaned the drain hole and that fixed it. Hope this gives you another possibility.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #8
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Our bedroom slide leaked once, sounds like the same place. We sat and watched on rainy day...if the trailer is slightly low on the door side, the water runs from the edge of the slide inwards and goes in. We put some silicon so the water can't run back in to the slide, and haven't had any trouble since. Hope this makes sense.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #9
Jack Neihouse

M.O.C. #5950
Send a message via Yahoo to Jack Neihouse
I have an '04 2955RL and it also developed leaks in the bedroom slide on our way home from picking the rig up (new) in Mesa, AZ. It leaked on both sides. I took it to a repair facility (under warranty) and they found that water was coming in at the bottom of the rubber gaskets on the sides. They said that the water was running down the rubber gaskets and then because their was no way for the water to escape to the outside of the slide (because of the gutter on the bottom) it was going into the rig. Their solution was to notch out (approximately 3/4") the gutter on either side where it makes contact with the rubber gasket. No leaks since then and we have been in some heavy rains since. Hope this helps.
Jack Neihouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If I understand Jack correctly he is talking about the trim piece that runs across the bottom of the slide opening. If you look at this with the slide open you will see that is is u shaped and if water gets in there it can't get to the outside. I did the same as was done on Jack's. I ground a notch in the channel on either end so that the water could escape.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote