Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2005, 09:55 AM   #1
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
AC water Heater doesn't Work - Now I Know Why

Soem of you may recall my episode with the two Montanas and the switched work-orders, this is more on that saga...

The report from the dealer was that the AC connection to the heater was broken somewhere, and I told them that I would follow up on that myself. Since we were out for Mem Day weekend, I spent some time tracking this down...

I found the black (hot) lead for the Water Heater loose in the AC panel, with an electrical cap on the end of it, and NOT attached to any one of the several breakers. I don't know if it ever was attached, the end is not stripped. I wonder if the installer never hooked it up????

Now, part of the problem is, I can't come up with a breaker with enough current available, I would have thought it would be separate?? There are only four 15 AMP breakers, labeled as follows...
Micro (wave)
GFI
Conv (ertor)
Rec (eptacle)

The electric part of the water heater is rated 1400 watts I think, which is about 12 AMPS - I don't see how I can share any of the (ONLY) four breakers.

Would someone look at your AC panel, and give me some comparisons???

Thanks!!!

skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Al-
I sent you a PM....I have a picture of my breakers and will send it regular e-mail.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:30 AM   #3
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
I would like to hear from any of the 3280 owners, if you have a breaker box similar to mine!!
Old 05-31-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skyguy

I would like to hear from any of the 3280 owners, if you have a breaker box similar to mine!!
Ours is not a 3280, but here is what ours looks like.

There is a separate breaker for the WH. Why not just add another breaker. You should have plenty of room. Most RV stores carry the breakers.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:54 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Now, I am not the electrican around here, but I have read a number of these posts and note that Skyguy has a 2001 Montana, and Mike has a 2005 Montana. I think it was after Steve R.'s unit was manufactured before Montana started with the true 50 AMP service, etc??? That would be approximately June 2003, not before.

Does that have any bearing on this subject?? Just thinking aloud, maybe getting myself in deep water!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:24 AM   #6
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
The photo that mazeeff supplys is just like Charlies. If I had room to add another breaker, this would be simple, but in my box, there just isn't any room.

My 2001 does have 50 amp service, but it could be split(?) there is a 30 amp main, and a 20 amp second - for washer/dryer.

I might give Montana a call, just for fun...
Old 05-31-2005, 10:52 AM   #7
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:

The photo that mazeeff supplys is just like Charlies. If I had room to add another breaker, this would be simple, but in my box, there just isn't any room.

My 2001 does have 50 amp service, but it could be split(?) there is a 30 amp main, and a 20 amp second - for washer/dryer.

I would ask them to send you a new panel, and have it re-wired. As you can see on the new ones, it is capable of 12 circuits. That would give you plenty of room. If yours is not expndable, it might explain what happened. The tech must have looked at the full panel, and concluded that the best thing to do, was not to hook it up!!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:54 AM   #8
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:

Another thought. Do you use the washer/dryer outlet? If not, you can use that breaker.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:59 AM   #9
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Talked to Keystone yesterday, who said, talk to your dealer. Talked to my dealer yesterday who said email him some photos. Did that.

Now we'll see what happens.... and I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Skyguy, ours may be like yours. We have two boxes. One is the converter with breakers and fuses. There is a "main" breaker in that one that has a 30 and a 20 tied together. We also have another box with just a Main. This one is also a 30 and a 20 tied together. The water heater on ours is on a 15 amp breaker with nothing else on it. It's the far right breaker on ours. If this sounds like what you have and you need a picture, email me (envelope icon above this post) and I'll take a picture for you.

We'll be on the road Friday thru Sunday.

Here's a picture I already had but I can take a closeup if this is like yours and you want it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:42 AM   #11
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Skyguy, ours may be like yours. We have two boxes. One is the converter with breakers and fuses. There is a "main" breaker in that one that has a 30 and a 20 tied together. We also have another box with just a Main. This one is also a 30 and a 20 tied together. [...]
Steve or anyone else,

I have the same setup. I can't for the life of me figure out WHY I have 2 sets of "main" breakers. My old TT had its "mains" in the breaker box and didn't have the extra set in the extra box.

Anyone have a clue? Seems like wasted space.....

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Eric, I assume on ours that 20 amps from the 20amp side of the "main" main is either for the second AC prep or washer/dryer if you have them. On ours I think it's for the AC prep. The other 30 amps I think goes from the "main" main to the converter, which has its own main. This is all speculation on my part based on how our electrical system performs (or sometimes doesn't). I could be all wrong, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:20 AM   #13
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
SOLVED!!

My thanks to sreigle - he has the same convertor box, and was able to provide the connections. Seems they combine the converter with the receptacles - that sounds workable to me. I can't tell if the hwh hot lead was ever attached, but it will be shortly!

Now we will see if the dealer/keystone ever come up with a solution...

Al