Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ford Tow Command - what gain setting?

We have had our new F250 for 6 weeks but won't tow with it for another three weeks. When we pull out we'll have limited space to experiment with brake controller gain settings before getting into freeway traffic. I ran the Prodigy at 7.0 so this one may need to be about the same. I'd like to be in the ballpark of the right setting for us when we start out.

For those of you who have towed with the tow command brake controller, what gain setting are you using and what are you towing (trying to get an idea of relative weight)?

One member said earlier his is set on 9.0, if I recall.

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #2
Montana_882
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #882
STEVE
I have almost 7000 miles of towing in the last 3 months with our new 05,when I started towing I set the unit on 10 and that is where it still is.The way it is designed to work in conjunction with the antilock brakes and the master cylinder it will only apply what is needed as the brake peddle is applied.
You will find that there is NO applying of the trailer brakes first it is done in an equal manner. There will not be any jercking or grabing as there ways before.
I hope this helps.
Montana_882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 08:15 AM   #3
Montana_2302
Established Member

M.O.C. #2302
Have the 05 psd dually and set ours @ 7....don't even know the trailer is there...Everest weights about 13,000 loaded....hope that helps....might want to experiment yourself thought.
Montana_2302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks to both of you. I'm really looking forward to trying it out. Our Montana weighed 13,980 loaded at last weighing but should be a little less now that we've offloaded some things. So it's in the same ballpark as your Everest, John and Jan.

Ernie and Doris, we have the same model as you but are heavily loaded. Still, the ballpark should be close.

I've been thinking of a little "problem" I may have to overcome. When we dropped this Montana we had the '03 F350. It's a little bit taller than this F250. We just dropped the landing gear and raised the Montana from there. That means I probably can't get all the weight off the landing gear when we hitch to this truck unless I first run the truck up on some boards to raise it. Wish I had thought of this at tradein so I could have done some measuring. I guess a couple inches of boards should be plenty. I hope the weather is warmer than now when we hitch up on Jan 4. I don't relish jacking around with this with temperatures in the teens.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:02 PM   #5
Rob Cooley
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4
Send a message via Yahoo to Rob Cooley
Steve, what kind of ride do you get with the new F250. As you recall we went from the 01 F250 7.3 to the 03 F350 6.0 dually. With the new towing weights the F250 looks very nice.
Rob Cooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:20 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rob, Vicki and I agree it rides even better than our '03 F350. That new front suspension with coil springs on the 4x4 makes a big difference. Also, I thought the '03 was a tight body but this one is absolutely solid. I guess it's that new heavier frame. Also, you may remember I mentioned that in the past the Off Road version rode pretty hard compared to the straight 4x4 that we had in our '03. But this one is Off Road and still rides very nicely. I guess the difference is the older one had two shocks per rear wheel (not sure about the front) while the new one has single Rancho shocks. Also, the springs are wider, at 3 inches, so payload and GVWR are up. The way ours is set up tow rating is 15,400, GVWR is 10,000, and GCWR is 23,000. The listing in the manual shows you can get them to tow ratings of 17,500 (17,200?) with GCWR to 23,500. But I recently read there's a package you can order that takes tow ratings to 19,200. I'm not sure the GVWR and GCWR on those. I've read that in two places now but haven't seen it in my manual. I guess I need to read the fine print. To answer your question, it rides very nicely. Also, I used to run 55 psi in the front, 75 in the rear for towing. More than 55 in the front hurt the ride. This one came with 65 all around and still rides very nicely. When we tow I'm going to take the rears to 80 and see how that does. Part of it might be that the standard wheels now are 17 inch with 18 as an option. Ours are 17. Also, the new one has that builtin brake controller the magazines are raving about. And a boost gauge on the dash that's actually a gauge. I added pillar pod gauges but not for boost.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:29 PM   #7
Rob Cooley
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4
Thanks for the info on the new Fords. I just put 2 new tires on the front yesterday and I have 46,000 miles on it. The truck is great but the F250 is interesting now with the higher tow ratings. may have to stop and look at one soon. Also, if you are that close to Florida you need to make the Tampa RV show. It is worth the drive.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:10 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rob, we're thinking about running down for the day but that's 700 miles round trip. If we do it, it will mostly be to visit and meet more MOC'ers. We'll see the show also but that's secondary. Don't know if we'll do the 700 miles or not.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:55 PM   #9
Rob Cooley
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4
We have plenty of room at our place and we could go to the show together. Would be great to have you.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:19 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rob, we might just do that. You have our email address. We leave here the 4th, arrive in Savannah on the 10th. I'm not sure if we'll have email enroute. I think you have our cell number, too. Thanks for the offer, sounds like fun.