Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Steadyfast Stabilizers

Installed a set of Steadyfast stabalizers on our Montana today. I ordered the kit with the 2 extra feet. Install took me about 5 hours. They took out almost all of the front to back and side to side movement of the trailer. Also the sway from me climbing the entry steps was virtually eliminated However, The wife says that it almost seemed to make the front end bounce a little more when I'm walking at the other end of the trailer. Maybe the rear absorbed more of the shock before the Steadyfast was locked in. Installed the X-Chocks and there was no change. Put up the king-pin tripod and with the Steadyfast locked in, the front bounce and movement was almost eliminated.

So in my driveway, the combination of tripod and Steadyfast work very good. Soft ground will most likely make it less stable. Next step, if needed, will be installing some scissor jacks (or hydraulic jacks) near the axles.

So the Steadyfast works well to control movement of the trailer but not the bounce. The instructions need some work. Better instructions would have saved me close to an hour on the install time. Overall, instalation was pretty easy on the Montana but, I do have a mechanical background. Fit and finish of the parts way very good. The only thing I had a problem with was attaching the feet to my rear stabilizers exsiting feet. The pre-drilled holes in the Steadyfast feet did not line up well and I had to drill 2 additional holes through both pieces to get each to fit properly. I think that any similar system would yield about the same results as to reducing movement or bounce of the trailer. I would rate the Seadyfast system 4 out of 5 stars. Better instructions and a couple more pre-drilled holes in the feet would improve the score.

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have had Steadyfast on our Montana for 3 yrs. and like it and it comes with a money back if not satisfied guarantee.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
One of the things I have discovered with the Steadyfast is once you get it set and tightened, I extend the front and rear landing gear and stabilizers by bumping the "EXTEND" switch of each 3-4 times. Seems to help with the bounce.

Jack
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
I like our steadyfast also. works well for us, haven't noticed the bounce, I'll check that the next time out and if it's there I'll try jackel's idea.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackel1959

One of the things I have discovered with the Steadyfast is once you get it set and tightened, I extend the front and rear landing gear and stabilizers by bumping the "EXTEND" switch of each 3-4 times. Seems to help with the bounce.

Jack
Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
I had the Steadyfast Stabilizers on my last rig and one thing I noticed was when I used x chocks on my wheels after final leveling, everything was a little tighter than without them. (New rig has the 6 point so I don't need them).
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I found that bounce in the bedroom was greatly reduced by putting more weight on the tripod. Still have a bounce issue in the rear to deal with. I ordered some 7500# scissor jacks and plan to mount them on the frame close to the tires. My question is, should I mount them in front or behind the tires???
Old 08-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #8
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I mounted mine in front of the tires.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote