Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Broken rod activating galley tank valve

The aluminum rod connecting the galley tank valve to the dump handle has broken on our Big Sky. I've got a temp repair holding it, but I'd like to get a replacement rod in case the repair doesn't hold. Does anyone know the length of that aluminum rod, or are they all a standard length? We've got the 340 RLQ, which should be the same configuration as the 3400 RL.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I just went out and looked at our rig and if it weren't for that darned gas pipe it would be an easy job to drop the belly pan and see the valve. Although there is a small gap between the Mor-ryde box and the pan on our rig. I wasn't dressed to crawl under and see if I could see the rod length but will go out in a few and check if I can see the length. I have had to drop the belly pan several times and I just took out the screws that held the gas pipe straps and then the belly pan screws. it is a pain but the only way to get it out. If I can get length I will let ya know... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ok, just got back in from measuring, I think the threads are 1/4-20 but to be sure I would unscrew the end from the valve and check. I think the easiest way of fixing this problem would be to purchase some aluminum rod 1/4 inch I think. also purchase a threading die of the proper size and thread one end of the aluminum rod. I get an approx length of 18 inches measuring from my handle to where the pipe comes through the belly pan. Buy extra just in case and save the rest in the basement in case another one breaks. After you thread the end of the rod you will have to try and line up the rod with the valve hole again and screw it into the valve. The belly pan is stiff but I think you can remove a few of the frame screws that hold it in place and force it down enough to be able to see the valve. Once it is screwed into the valve you will have a good idea of where to cut the rod for its final length. Once you decide on that length then cut and thread the rod for the handle to mount to. Before reassembling it all put some lock-tite on both ends of the rod so it stays put and the handle doesn't fall off...Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Perhaps we have a different valve, but we have 1/4-20 threads sticking out of the valve. When the aluminum tube broke at the threads, I didn't have a tap handy, so I ran a 1/4-20 bolt up in the tubing. It threaded the tubing just fine, and I screwed it back on the valve stud. About an inch shorter now. A piece of 1/4 all thread would work good also. Just get a threaded coupling to couple it to the valve.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I replaced our bent galley valve rod with a 1/4" threaded rod and a barrel nut on the valve end. I double nutted it for tightness. It works great.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote