Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Experience over youth wins one!

Teaching an old dog
They say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, well sometimes you just don’t have to.
I guess Stump would be around 70 ‘dog years’ old, but his old tricks won over the judges at the Westminister dog show. Not bad considering there were over 2500 dogs competing.
A lesson to us all about age and experience, don’t underestimate the wealth of knowledge that older people bring to the table.
Communities should draw from that well more. I know, when some of us start that, “Back in my time“, bla bla bla…., If you can get over that, and just listen, you just may learn something.
My father just drove me crazy at times, telling me over and over things he deemed important. I now eagerly give that advice out. He was a pretty smart old guy.
One of the things he pounded me with is that if you learn a good trade, and excel at it, you can go anywhere in the world and have work, you will always be in demand, no matter what the economy will be, there will be a living for you. That advice, along with having a good honest work ethic, give the customer more than he is paying you for, has given me a very good living.
The next time an old timer speaks to you, ask a few questions, really listen to them, you just may learn a trick or two.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
You sure said a mouthfull there Ozz. I owe everything I am to older people, and I can thank my dad for teaching me to listen to them when I was young.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Wise words indeed Ozz. Respect for elders seems to have went by the wayside. Rest assured, it is being taught in our house and should be everywhere!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Good stuff can be picked up from "experienced" folks. Being in the service business for many years, I didn't really worry when I had no money, I worried when no one else had any money.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Good advice Ozz.
No one ask me anything. And I am old.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Dusty,

Since nobody ever asked you anything, here is a question for you.

When you look into the sky and see a flock of ducks flying by in their V formation, you will notice one side of the V is longer than the other. The question is; Why is one side longer than the other side?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Lonnie: Assuming that the number of geese in the formation is odd -- then it often just an optical illusion as the eye tends to think the side of the V furthest away from you is shorter. (Assuming of course that the geese fall into formation properly which is, according to scientists, to assist the ones in following positions to fly further -- they are in the previous birds slip-stream and expend less energy than the lead bird(s)).

By the way, not that smart -- read it in Wikipedia and an on-line Field & Stream article just now.....
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
And all this time, I thought it was because there are more ducks (or geese) in the longer side .

Sorry Qzz, wasn't trying to get off topic here.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:35 AM   #9
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
In my first five years in the Air Force I probably learned more from listening to the "long service" NCOs shoot the bull over morning coffee than from any formal school or correspondence course! Glad I had enough sense tap into that knowledge base.
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
"No one is as deaf as the man who will not listen."

Jewish Proverb
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote