Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Air Conditioning Air Flow ?

Okay, I did the search thing and couldn't come up with anything.

Ozz, I know you have the answer.

We came home today after about 4 hours of hot temperatures near 100 degrees and found that both of our air conditioner's air flow was down to really low. I turned off one and turned the other to fan only. After about 20 minutes, the one with the fan on returned to its normal air flow state. I turned on the bedroom one and its flow, too, had returned to normal. Why did this happen?

One A/C is the OEM Dometic and the other a Carrier Air V.

Should I be doing some normal maintenance on these units other than cleaning the inside filters?

Thanks,

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
sounds like they iced up from high humidity. flow was blocked from ice build up.
I think the lower the set point,the easier it is to ice them up. I don't know if a fresh intake filter would help? Ozz?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Check to see if the ice up thermistor is inserted into the coil inside the air return. Little round can with two wires coming out of it. It is suppose to cut the compressor off and let the fan run until the ice is melted from the coil.
My unit went bad and the unit kept freezing and the air flo went to almost zero.
I tried to get one from several dealers and they thought I was crazy. Had to order from Dometic.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
I just had the same problem and called a RV serviceman to the park where we were staying. It was a fairly simple fix. He took off the inside cover of the front ac and pointed out that the white styrofoam (?) material that was hanging loosely should be affixed to the interior sides of the ac duct. he carefully retaped the material with that shiny, metal-looking tape. He also tested the amps and the cooling of the unit, which was fine. Although, I was somewhat skeptical that this retaping would help, I have not had the problem since. The service man said that 90% of all of the ac problems he deals with are this problem. It apparently messes up the air flow, causing the unit to freeze up. I initially thought it was a fan problem, as the unit would be running with fan on high, but felt and sounded like it was on low. It was freezing up.
mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would put coil freezing at the top of the list. The ducting is not sized for the size and airflow of the unit. With the dump damper open, I would think it would not freeze, as there is no air delivery restriction. That thermistor should cycle the compressor, leaving the fan running.
I always suggest a high fan setting to keep coil freezing to a minimum. Low airflow=colder evaporator temperatures.
Michael, Sue and I are now laying around 100 sq. ft of floor tiles in the kitchen and dining area, we are going a little crazy.... Say hi to Kathy for us.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks, everyone. I will take the exterior covers off and hose down the coils. Also, I'll keep the quick cool open.

Good luck on your floor installation!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote