Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Dometic Refrigerator Freezes

Our dometic refrigerator freezes overnight in the freezer, but also in the refrigerator. If you don't open it for a while, everything in the refrigerator is frozen. Our whole refrigerator is a FREEZER....brrrrr. it is a 3 way refrigerator. Has 5 temp settings. We had the recall done on it a while ago.

Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If your rig information in your signature is correct, I would venture to say that you have one of the fridges that is also thermistor controlled. See if there is a small plastic slide on one of the fins in the rear of the fridge. If there is, if the slide is all the way up (north as in COLD), slide it down a little (south as in WARM). Just a though as this seems to be a common problem that is easily overlooked. Let us know if further troubleshooting is needed.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

If your rig information in your signature is correct, I would venture to say that you have one of the fridges that is also thermistor controlled. See if there is a small plastic slide on one of the fins in the rear of the fridge. If there is, if the slide is all the way up (north as in COLD), slide it down a little (south as in WARM). Just a though as this seems to be a common problem that is easily overlooked. Let us know if further troubleshooting is needed.
Bingo
Thanks for the info, but the fridge is in our truck camper that we use here in Alaska. It is the Dometic 3663. It has a gray type of slide on the fins, so will try it and see what happens.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
i've had luck just calling dometic....http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...pport/Contact/

good luck.
i had a "freezer" refrig a few years back....froze everything....it was the circuit board but i got an extra thermistor from dometic in the process.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron & Nelly, is the thermistor in your refrigerator way up high? That will make it run colder. You probably already know what I'm talking about and have checked it but just in case... the thermistor is in that white slider with wire attached that's on the edge of one of the fins at the top or the refrigerator compartment, behind the milk area. Usually on the rightmost fin. Just slide it lower and it should cause the fridge to run warmer. I'm not sure whether it also affects the freezer. It sounds like yours may have a more serious problem but I'm mentioning this thermistor just in case.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Ron & Nelly, is the thermistor in your refrigerator way up high? That will make it run colder. You probably already know what I'm talking about and have checked it but just in case... the thermistor is in that white slider with wire attached that's on the edge of one of the fins at the top or the refrigerator compartment, behind the milk area. Usually on the rightmost fin. Just slide it lower and it should cause the fridge to run warmer. I'm not sure whether it also affects the freezer. It sounds like yours may have a more serious problem but I'm mentioning this thermistor just in case.
Thanks for all of your replies. I moved the grey plastic cover down that is on the fins and now the refrigerator is not freezing. The freezer is Ok too.