Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Thank you!!

A big shout out and thank you to Kathy Bohannon, aka "Botown".
We contacted her about day/night shades for our 3402RL. Kathy and her husband had replaced them in their same model and we took their old ones to have as spares for our rig. I have no idea what they cost new, but I'm sure they aren't cheap. Thanks again Kathy.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I suppose an internet search can obtain some prices, and as much trouble I've had with them I have to admit, I like ours. I've had to replace four sets of broken strings and an untold number of other types of repairs since we use ours so much for numerous window coverage for light or dark or many configurations in between. In fact, just yesterday, DW had trouble with one shade that got tweaked real bad until I found that the left side spool had come out of the wall. Reinstalled the screw hhat holds the tensioning spool against the wall and all came out good.

We've not had to replace any, in favor of finding a way to repair them. Ironically, I've gotten pretty good at repairing them.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LOL!!! Guess what, just seconds after posting this the huge day/night shade JUST quit working. DW was trying to lower it (she does this as it gets dark to prevent outsiders to peer into our living room. I find that one of the sets of strings broke (on this shade size there are what looks like four sets or strings). I will have to size these and order new repair kits. I've not had to repair a big day/night shade, but I guess there's a first time for everything. In the meantime, luckily we were able to close the dark shade to within about 8 inches of shutting completely, and there it will sit until I repair it.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Art if you go into the Search Engine here and key in Day Night Shades I think you will find instruction on how to restring your shades. I think there are videos on YouTube also that show how to do this yourself. We have had several classes at the Fall Rally on how to resting the shades and maybe Dave McNair will jump in here and give you/us some instructions on the process since he's the one that taught the classes.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:02 AM   #5
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I have not had to re-string one yet, but know it is inevitable. My theory is that should one break, I won't have to do it on the jump. I can put the replacement up and do the re-string later, thus not tying up my vacation time doing maintenance. It was a very economical way to be prepared for the inevitable.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote