Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2015, 05:22 AM   #1
waterjone
Established Member

M.O.C. #14446
Stink bugs

We are having a problem with stink bugs that seem to stay with us no matter where we are traveling. We have had them about 1 month or so.
any suggestions to get rid of them completely. When we find one we take it outside to kill like they say to do - but they are still with us somewhere, like in our walls. Any ideas anyone?????

waterjone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
vangoes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10367
Good luck! We had an infestation of them two years ago and we would take a portable vacuum and suck up sometimes 20 bugs a day. It seems time is about the only thing short of complete trailer fumeagation. It took about two months before they was totally gone.
vangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You have been in stink bug country they are in every crack and crevice they can find. There are only two ways I know of to get rid of them and you aren't going to like either one of them. First weight till spring they will all come put. Second if you are in a hurry burn your camper. The best thing to do enjoy then the best you can till spring.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
Sugar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11049
I have a long wood stick that is flat on the tip. I put velcro on the tip of the stick and on the bottom of a small plastic container so that I can reach the ceiling. Then, I put a small amount of pine-sol with a little water in the container. This kills the bugs. Every so often I empty and put more pine-sol and water in the cup in the cup.

Mary Ann (Sugar)
Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #5
trickto32
Established Member

M.O.C. #17384
I want to say these bugs freak me out. I know they are harmless but I hate them. We got our fiver in May. Through out the summer they come in and my husband kills them. Now its getting cold and they go dormant. When we have a few warm days they are back. We had a really cold day last week so my husband pulled a sweat shirt out of the closet and there they were (3) of them all wrapped up in the shirt. pulled everything out of the closet found 2 more. pulled the sheets to wash them (once a week) and found one between the bottom sheet and the mattress. We have tried bug killer on them and you need the whole can to kill one. My skin crawls thinking they are in here with us. I wish we could get these things out of here.
trickto32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
OK, I solved the problem with any we had after we picked them up at the Fall Rally this last year. We didn't get many but we did bring a few back with us to Nebraska. We park the Monte in an enclosed building at the farm. We were having some problems with those "fake ladybugs" in the building since it was next to a soybean field and they had combined the beans so the bugs moved on and they were in the building housing the Monte. I went to the local home improvement store(Menards or the like) and purchased a box of insect bombs or foggers that you release in the house or other buildings to take care of insect problems within. It had four cans in the box. I opened the basement doors on the Monte and made sure the power and the propane was turned off. I took two of the four cans and popped the tops on the two and set them in the middle of the "Monte Home" and left the building for about three days. When I returned, the "fake ladybugs" and everything in the building, insect wise, were all dead and laying all over the building. SOOOOO, if you can leave your Monte for several hours and leave it closed up, I'd release a couple of the foggers and it should take care of your stinkbugs and also any other critters you might have hiding in the unit. It worked for me and hopefully it will work for you too!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:28 AM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Rondo is on to something with the "bombs" or "foggers". I spray around the site once a month outside. I don't limit myself to just a foot around the Monte, I go out 4 or 5 feet plus under it some. Then at least twice a year when we are going to be gone overnight I will set off at least one bomb with the Monte closed up and everything turned off.

I have been doing the same thing with the Florida house, except I set off a couple bombs prior to leaving. At both places we also set out little black plastic ant traps inside and out, rotating them 2 or 3 times a year.

Our whole annual insect war cost us about $30.00 a year for both places and we rarely see anything crawling.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:15 AM   #8
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
After our cross country trip this year we also had stink bugs. I used the raid bombs one in the basement and 3 in the rig one in the bedroom and two in the main pert of the rig. You know if one is good 3 are much better. I will bomb the rig once more before I move it to Ca. For the tax season in late January.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
We were infested with them after going to the fall rally a couple of years ago. We killed over 300 from October to the following May. Kept a count of how many we killed each day. We did not use the bombs because we read not to on the internet but I would if we had them again. Got some more on a trip to Tennessee and Va this year but not an infestation like before. I hate them.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #10
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
has anyone tried to talk with the Fair CG or the manufacturers about treating the cg in Goshen. I would think the Fed Aggies would not like the spreading of these critters via all the campers staying there.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
It's not just at the Goshen campground but all over the area. Don't think the USDA would care anything about them. You can try but I doubt if it would do any good! They would more than likely want about 30 forms filled out in triplicate and then that MIGHT get things started! LOL
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:17 AM   #12
Bill and Jan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12932
We made sure we didn't open windows or the vent fans while at the Fall Rally this year. So far we haven't seen any yet.
Bill and Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:20 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There may be some hope. Last year we had them by the thousands. I vacuumed them up in the shop. They were an inch deep in the shop vac. This year we had a very few. Years ago we had the false lady bugs and now none. We hope stink go the same way.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #14
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
We got those pests again this year in Tennessee and Norh Carolina, but thank goodness, only a few. They aren't just in Goshen. They were terrible in West Virginia and Virginia also.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #15
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We think they are everywhere you go. We traded rigs last month. The new one has been from Indiana to Ohio to South Carolina. Just a few minutes ago we killed the third stink bug since moving into our new rig.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote