Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Highway 1 California

Thinking about pulling our 5th wheel down highway 1 in a couple of weeks from Ft Bragg to San Francisco. I understand that may be a problem. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Bob

49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Bob,
We live in the area and that would not be my choice. If you want to see the area what I might suggest is spend a few days at Ft Bragg and check out both south and north Hwy 1 without towing the trailer.
Head back on Hwy 20, to south 101. Then in Santa Rosa, take Hwy 12 to Bodega Bay. Check out north Hwy 1 taking day trips.
From Bodega Bay, you can take Hwy 1 to Tomales Bay. Then back to 101 to SF.

Here are a couple of suggestions for RV parks.
Fort Bragg: One of our very favorites is Pomo RV Park. Only downside is cell phone service is poor, camp wifi is ok. http://www.pomorv.com/

Bodega Bay: Bodega Bay RV park is a nice park, more weather protected, nothing special http://www.bodegabayrvpark.com/
Porto Bodega is on the bay and has a few sites that back right on to the bay, nice views, can be windy http://www.portobodega.com/
Westside camprgound, state park, water is available, no hookups, dump station, opposite side of bay from Porto Bodega, http://www.sonoma-county.org/parks/pk_wstsd.htm

Tomales Bay: Olema Campground, rural areal of Marin County, close to SF, some full hookups, some with water and electricity. (We like the water and electricity sites best) http://www.olemaranch.com/

From Tomales Bay, I would head back 1 to Tomales, to Petaluma, Hwy 101 to SF.
If you're just wanting to get to SF, take 101 and avoid 1.

Hope that helps,

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bob,
Take your time and enjoy the wonderful scenery. You should have no trouble with that route. Of course you want to move inland before you get to the Bridge. Actually I think I'd take the Bodega Bay road into Santa Rosa. That will put you on the 101.

We took highway 128 over to the coast from the 101. We stayed in the Navarro Redwoods SP on that road and then on into Ft. Bragg and we returned to the 101 via highway 20 just south of Ft. Bragg.

If I remember correctly we stayed at the Pomo RV Park which is just south of the city of Ft. Bragg. This is/was a very nice park. Great separation of sites. Actually had vegetation designed to give good seclusion/privacy. Very cold (even in summer) and a bit foggy. I just checked RV Park Reviews and see that the park is still highly rated.

I believe Capt Kidd has taken this route and indicated it was very "doable" with the Montana. If I'm mistaken hopefully Don will jump in and straighten me out. Have a great trip. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Dennis,
Yes, it is doable. I have done it once from Jenner to Ft. Bragg with my 28'TT. Lot's of switch backs and not really able to enjoy much of the ride (especially since Marilyn was not at all relaxed!). I wouldn't do it again.
128 back to 101 via Cloverdale is ok but the last few miles into Cloverdale is steep with a lot of switch backs. I prefer Hwy20.
Hwy 1 South to Tomales is easy, mostly rolling hills and dairy farms, not much on the coast until you get back to Tomales Bay.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Happy New Year Ken and Marilyn!
That is such beautiful country where you live. I understand Marilyn "not at all relaxed"! The Navarro Redwood park was an interesting park. Even the drive on 128 was very interesting. We arrived at the park on one of the Holidays..... Don't remember which one -- maybe it was the 4th of July. But the park was just starting to empty out as we were arriving. Most of the big sites were occupied but we managed to find one huge site. The problem was it was a difficult back-in type. I was able to get in but only because one of the Volunteer Hosts was an ex-truck driver who literally "walked" me into the site! A very nice gentleman.

We were thinking of driving north of Ft. Bragg but after a reconnaissance drive we decided to simply take the 20 back to 101. It is a nice route.

Ken it has been a few years since we were up that way so my memory is fuzzy at best and probably clouded by semi romantic type visions of what we actually saw and experienced. But even having said that it is still a good ride. I get the impression that Bob is more interested in an 'adventure' rather than a quick and safe route to San Francisco. I could be wrong and I often am! We enjoyed the area immensely and do recommend it. But since it is your "home area" I certainly would give high value to your suggestions. Ken I would probably still take the "adventure" and potentially get myself in trouble (as I often do) and just live with the results.

Again thanks for the input and you folks have a great New Year! Are you going to join the gathering in Q this year? If so we'll see you there. Dennis
Old 01-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Dennis,
I agree, the drive from Ft. Bragg to Jenner is stunning. I guess it just depends on how much time he has. A stop in the quaint town of Mendocino (filmed "Same Time Next Year" there) is well worth it and only about 15 minutes or so from Ft. Bragg. Gualala is another great stop. We have camped at the Gualala River Park. A great place but I don't think it is open in the winter. There are some fantastic restaurants in both towns.

These are very small coastal communities that might present a challenge to park the rig and enjoy thus my suggestion to visit without the rig. If you just want to sightsee on the way down, it beats 101 however the grapes and redwoods on 101 through the Alexander Valley aren't bad either!

Yes, we are very excited about our 1st trip to the Q. Looking forward to seeing you, Mary Kay and the rest of the group!

Happy New Year!

Ken
Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
If you have time when in SF, take a day trip down to Big Sur, especially take the Old Coast Highway at the Bixby bridge. The only sign there says "Impassable when wet". What wonderful scenery. My son took us through there just 3 weeks ago, unforgetable. All of that area is fantastic scenery. There are CGs there, we did not take our Monty. We flew in to Monterey and took daytrips with our son. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Thanks for all the information.We plan on going through or around SF and head inland to Morgan Hill area on our way to Arizona. Is their a probablem with taking Golden Gate or is there a better way around?
Bob
Old 01-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Bob,
It depends what you prefer.
GG bridge is fine. In SF you're best to take 19th Ave through town, by SF State to 280 to Morgan Hill. It's 3 lane city streets, stop and go (signals at all intersections) all through SF. 280 is a scenic freeway and a nice drive.

Your other option is to take 580 over the Richmond/San Rafael bridge through Berkeley, to 880 through Oakland to 101 and Morgan hill. This way is all freeway. Traffic can be horrible through Berkeley, Oakland and the East Bay unless you time it right (mid day is best during the week or early on the weekends). This would be my preferred route.

Ken
Old 01-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Thanks Ken,
All good info. And I know what you mean about Berkly. Used to go to company schools down on San Pablo (SCM) and stayed at motel on University Ave.(company choice...not mine)for 2 to 4 weeks. Traffic was horrible those days and I can only imagine what it's like now.

I asume GG is a toll bridge. Any idea what the charge might be with the trailer?
Bob
Old 01-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
4 axles are $18, $24 after 7/1/12
Richmond Br toll is the other direction so you won't pay southbound.

Ken
Old 01-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brenkco

Your other option is to take 580 over the Richmond/San Rafael bridge through Berkeley, to 880 through Oakland to 101 and Morgan hill. This way is all freeway. Traffic can be horrible through Berkeley, Oakland and the East Bay unless you time it right (mid day is best during the week or early on the weekends). This would be my preferred route.

Ken
Ditto, this is the route we always take. Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bob,
Here's a link for info on the GG Bridge. While the trip over the GG is gorgeous the trip thru SF can be a tiring experience with all the signals and traffic. We've pulled the rig via the East Bay route. We had a delay because of airport traffic. It took us about an extra 20 minutes or so and otherwise it was a nice easy trip. Dennis

Golden Gate Bridge
Old 01-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Thanks Dennis,
I guess I'll make that decision when we get there. If it's all fogged in I will for sure go the East Bay route. But If it's a beautiful day we'll just have to see how I feel. Having driven Seattle north and south SF can't be much worse.
Bob