Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
Water Heater

I have the 3500rl. The water heater has an electrical on/off switch outside and a propane on/off switch inside.

Can anyone tell me if you can use both at the same time? Does the water heat faster? Am I just wasting propane? My dealer couldn't tell me.

bob

bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigbob7777

I have the 3500rl. The water heater has an electrical on/off switch outside and a propane on/off switch inside.

Can anyone tell me if you can use both at the same time? Does the water heat faster? Am I just wasting propane? My dealer couldn't tell me.

bob
bob, Yes you can use both at the same time. Water gets hot faster and will be at a higher temperature.

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Just confirming what Thunderman has said.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:43 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I also agree with the previous two posts but, the trick is remembering to switch off the electric switch outside. I have found it much easier for me to just run the heater on propane. I remember not filling the hot water tank before I plugged the coach in one spring on my previous Mountaineer travel trailer and burned up the heating element. Just a tip from my past experience.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:48 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
As stated above, You can use both at the same time but it is not necessary to switch the electric off between uses. What is necessary is to be sure the electric is turned off before storing or winterizing for any period of time. You would never want the electric heating element turned on when there is no water in the tank.

Electric is our primary source for water heating and only use the propane if we need a faster recovery.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:52 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There is a breaker for the heater. I switch the breaker off when not hooked to electric power. I have a little sign that says, "water in water heater?" Just a lifttle reminder to add water before switching it on.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:12 AM   #7
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
I added a small red indicating light to the electric switch to know when it is off or on. We run both if we are taking showers close together other wise we just use the propane for regular camping. Jack.
Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:40 AM   #8
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
Thanks for the replies.

One other question; I have my trailer set up in a compground but had to leave for 4 weeks. I turned the water off, but forgot to turn off the electric to the heater (the unit is still on shore power for the frig).

Is my element going to be fried? It had water in the heater, but would it have evaporated?

Just need to know what to expect. I could possibly send someone out to turn it off.

bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The element gets fried only when power is applied to the element when there is not enough water in the tank for the element to be submersed. If you didn't drain the water heater tank full you'll be fine.

If it did get fried, you can get a replacement at an rv dealer. Just give them the make and model number of the water heater.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #10
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Timely discussion. We were just wondering if we needed to switch off the electric water heater every time we disconnect. Thank you
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:27 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lije Baley, technically you don't need to switch it off until you drain it. So long as there is water in the tank, when you plug in the rig and the electric heater fires off it will be fine. Like others mentioned, ours is on a breaker all by itself. Our breakers are very accessible so before we break camp we shut that breaker off. It just keeps the heater from getting a surge when I connect to a park's power again.

That said, in recent months we've not used the electrical side simply because our older electrical system is prone to popping breakers when the washer, dryer, and AC are running and the electric water heater kicked in. So we just avoid the problem and use just propane 99% of the time. The exception is if we need back to back showers, like when our granddaughters are visiting.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote