Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #21
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
A different title could be ' Quality construction! What were they thinking about?'

Speaking of staples, Have you ever replaced the stairs carpet on yours? The stair carpet in ours got stained and wouldn't come clean. Not a big deal, I think. Send the DW out to a carpet store with a sample and while she is gone, I can just rip it out then install the new. Sure I can! NOT! The stairs are made up of stacked boxes with pieces of carpet installed plus wrapped around the sides plus even around the bottom edge. They are then screwed together in the 5er. That carpet is stapled to the individual boxes with at least 3 different size staples. Hundreds and hundreds of staples. To make it even more interesting, each of the risers is a different height by an inch or more - and I wondered why I occasionally stumbled going up the stairs. The boxes have all been rebuilt, the risers are all the same now and the carpet looks great as it is about the same color as the original but many times better quality. The new carpet was installed in one piece with a couple dozen staples, using the new Harbor Freight stapler And my weekend project - well let's say that it was many more hours work then expected.

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #22
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
A different title could be ' Quality construction! What were they thinking about?'

Speaking of staples, Have you ever replaced the stairs carpet on yours? The stair carpet in ours got stained and wouldn't come clean. Not a big deal, I think. Send the DW out to a carpet store with a sample and while she is gone, I can just rip it out then install the new. Sure I can! NOT! The stairs are made up of stacked boxes with pieces of carpet installed plus wrapped around the sides plus even around the bottom edge. They are then screwed together in the 5er. That carpet is stapled to the individual boxes with at least 3 different size staples. Hundreds and hundreds of staples. To make it even more interesting, each of the risers is a different height by an inch or more - and I wondered why I occasionally stumbled going up the stairs. The boxes have all been rebuilt, the risers are all the same now and the carpet looks great as it is about the same color as the original but many times better quality. The new carpet was installed in one piece with a couple dozen staples, using the new Harbor Freight stapler And my weekend project - well let's say that it was many more hours work then expected.
For the last 6 weeks, I've been sitting home recovering from a broken leg caused by slipping/tripping on the stairs in our HC, so I am painfully aware of the crappy stairs.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #23
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post

To make it even more interesting, each of the risers is a different height by an inch or more - and I wondered why I occasionally stumbled going up the stairs.
Looking at my stairs now. It looks like the top 2 risers are close to the same but the bottom one is a little shorter. Measuring just not going to happen as I really do not want to know. Still not carpeted which is a plus.. I'm guessing it is build as you go and dividing the height by 3 is above their paygrade and ability.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote